Fiat Ducato 2010: Howling noise from 40mph

Colinsburgh

Hello All,

My Ducato 2.3 130bhp, 2010 ( Rapido 966), 35000 miles has developed a most annoying howling/whining noise when driving faster than 40mph. The noise gets louder and higher pitched the faster I go. The vehicle is running OK and starts, pulls and stops normally. The noise is not related to engine revs or load and occurs when coasting or accelerating and always above 40mph.

Timing belt, pulleys and water pump all changed 3000mls ago.

All batteries charging OK.

Running temp normal.

Anyone any ideas of what might be causing this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Peter

Does it still make the noise if you knock it into Neutral above 40 mph?

And what happens if you touch the brakes?

Also try steering gently left and right to shift the weight onto opposite wheels to see if that makes any difference.

Keith.

I would suggest wheel bearings or drive shafts. Wheel bearing noise tends to change note as you turn right or left.

However, one van came in with a 'howling noise from the gearbox'.

We discovered (quite quickly!!) a really low nearside tyre that was virtually flat.

We suspect the low tyre was causing the Diff to compensate for one wheel turning much faster than the other and producing a howl. The noise from the low tyre was surprising little.

Tyres pumped up to equal pressures and noise went.

Might be worth checking front tyre pressures as it's a 'free' fix?

Thanks for the suggestions:

Steering right or left does not alter the sound.

Braking does not alter the sound.

Running in neutral does not alter the sound.

Tyre pressures are OK and equal on both sides.

No smoke form exhaust.

The engine is running well and there is no loss of power at any time.

I've not been able to get underneath to check the turbo pipes as yet will do this in the afternoon if it stops raining.

Noise seems to come from behind the instrument panel and sounds more like a wind noise than anything else. Does seem to alter when there is a strong gust of wind.(but only when moving)

Thanks Peter

Sounds like wheel bearings to me. One went on our van last year in Millau France. Repaired in an afternoon with no fuss - about €300 I think.
As far as I know it's quite common because motorhomes sit static on the bearings and this is not what the bearings are designed to do!

Is it possible that a grommet or seal of soem sort has become dislodged from the scuttle or from behind the dash board?

Try a bright light shone under the bonnet and see if you can see any light coming through under and behind the dash - and then repeat the exercise from in the cab. This is often better done in low natural light conditions.

At worst that will be one more aspect eliminated - and it costs nowt to do!

We had problems a few years ago when the windscreen was replaced and was not sealed properly as that too howled louder the faster we went. Eventually after three goes Autoglass managed to seal it. Gaffer tape around the window between glass and metal helped to isolate the precise location of the faulty seal.

They are not close to the dash but wing mirrors can be a source of wind noise? Assuming they are undamaged does folding them in make any difference?

The cab door seals can also cause wind noise and as the striker plates are adjustable making the doors shut a bit tighter might - or might not - help! Worth checking them for security and damage?

Guest pelmetman
laimeduck - 2016-06-20 9:32 AM

Sounds like wheel bearings to me. One went on our van last year in Millau France. Repaired in an afternoon with no fuss - about €300 I think.

As far as I know it's quite common because motorhomes sit static on the bearings and this is not what the bearings are designed to do!

Ditto......Except I replaced all 4 on mine ;-) .......

Thanks again for suggestions.

I think I may have found the problem. The rain this morning has revealed a substantial leak on the right hand side of the big A Class front screen, right on the corner. I'll wait till I can get it dry and then seal the joint before taking the 'van for a run.

One thing I have found as I was checking under the bonnet of the 'van is a leaky fuel filter - so I'll have to get that sorted asap.

I'll report back on the outcome of sealing the windscreen later ( probably tomorrow).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Peter

I think you may have cracked it Peter but i thought i would share an anecdote with you.....

In about 1996 I had a brand new Range Rover for a week and it was probably the third one that i had driven in a fairly short space of time. This one developed a loud buzzing noise from about 40mph and it got progressively louder,the faster i went.

The dealer had no clue what was wrong with it and suggested i gave it back and wait for another vehicle. I spent some time going over every last detail mechanically because i wanted to get to the bottom of it and finally decided to give it a wash before giving it back. The pressure washer lifted up the rubber windscreen surround at the top of the screen and i heard the noise!. One piece of gaffer tape and i was on my way again in silence.

You don't get these huge rubbers any more since bonded windscreens but there are still little rubber seals and they can flap about a bit if they are loose, and they can still make a hell of a racket.

N

From your description I would agree with a couple of the posts on here plus my own experience of similar noise. The fault was front wheel bearing. Apparently it is usually the nearside one that goes first my mechanic told me and it was around the 40/45000 miles mark

Mike

Mike B. - 2016-06-21 5:18 PM

From your description I would agree with a couple of the posts on here plus my own experience of similar noise. The fault was front wheel bearing. Apparently it is usually the nearside one that goes first my mechanic told me and it was around the 40/45000 miles mark

Mike

Front wheel bearings were a problem on the X244 (up to 2006) but haven't heard of problems on the X250.

Not saying that it couldn't be but think the OP has already tested for that.

Hello All,

'Van now in garage for testing. After taping up all seams and covering radiator grill and other vents the noise persists. Garage suggesting it's either sticky/rubbing brakes or, as suggested by others on here, a wheel bearing gone off.

Should know by tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Peter

Jack up each wheel and spin the wheel by hand placing one hand on the coil or leaf spring for that wheel if the bearing has gone you'll feel the clicking even if you can't hear it. Your garage should know this trick.

A couple more possibilities.

A stone or bit of debris jammed between the brake disc and pad or tin disc shield.

The cab door seals can let a lot of noise in due to air turbulence if they are not sealing properly. Was there an unsuccessful attempt by a thief to wrench the door open or just a bit of twig stuck in there

Hi l have a Rapido 924f A class, I see other people have suggested the front screen where my problem was. Cure - I inch PVC black tape down the side of screen. Half on rubber and half on body work. It's worth trying as it worked for us. Would appreciate knowing if this works for you.

Hello All,

Garage has settled on it being a wheel bearing causing the noise, but only after eliminating everything else.

All door joints, windscreen surround, radiator grill, side windows, heater air intake, etc, etc, were taped up, brakes have been stripped down and serviced, all belts pulleys have been checked but still the noise persists;

The howling type sound has now developed into a high pitched squeal but still only above 40mph.

A bit of good news is that the fuel filter leak was sorted by installing a new O ring seal.

Will post the outcome. Will likely be middle of next week before I have any more news.

Peter

Well surprise, surprise!

The howling noise is not a wheel bearing but is coming from the bottom right hand side of the windscreen.

Given that the top right is leaking and the bottom right obviously has a leak as well could the widscreen be de-bonding? ( is that a word?)

Any one else had such problems with a Rapido A Class?

Ant one know if resetting the screen would be covered by the glass cover of my insurance or do I just wait till it cracks?

Thanks for all your help.

Peter

You'll have to ask your insurer. However, since bonded screens are an integral part of the bodyshell (A class or not) I would have thought that if the screen is de-bonding it should be re-bonded on safety grounds and may well be covered under the glass cover part of your policy. After all, it stands to reason that the loss of bond leaves the screen more liable to crack/fail/detach at some point, and that as the de-bonding (which I assume was not originally present) has progressed to its present extent, it seems liable to progress further.

I would not leave a de-bonding screen in its present state any longer that it takes to agree who is to bear the cost of removal and re-bonding. I suspect that you are progressively losing structural integrity as the de-bonding continues. In any event, I would not leave it to see if it cracks so that it becomes claimable under the windscreen warranty. Apart from any other consideration, where is that water going, and what damage is it doing?

My final thought is your water ingress warranty. A present, water is leaking in through the bodyshell (the bond between screen and surround). A leak is a leak, and most vans have ingress warranties these days, frequently for 6 years or more. Is your water ingress warranty still valid? You may find Rapido will pay for the screen to be removed/re-bonded to remedy the leak.

Colinsburgh - 2016-06-28 3:23 PM

Well surprise, surprise!

The howling noise is not a wheel bearing but is coming from the bottom right hand side of the windscreen.

Given that the top right is leaking and the bottom right obviously has a leak as well could the widscreen be de-bonding? ( is that a word?)

Any one else had such problems with a Rapido A Class?

Ant one know if resetting the screen would be covered by the glass cover of my insurance or do I just wait till it cracks?

Thanks for all your help.

Peter

Won't have to wait too long for it to crack if you aciedently drop a hammer on it. :D

Well well well surprise surprise - I never could quite see how a howling noise behind the dash could be a wheel bearing.

Glad you've found it - why not talk informally to Autoglass if you can, after all they do have a vested interest in getting paid megabucks by insurers?

Hello all,

The Garage eventually found the source of the noise only after they taped up the inside of the screen. Previous attempts to isolate the source only taped up the outside of the screen which clearly was not a good enough seal. In any case I am now certain as to the source of the noise.

Brian, I had considered the water ingress cover but on consulting Rapido policies discovered it expired after 5 years, i.e. June 2015. I might contact Rapido and ask their view on meeting the cost of a repair.

As regards meeting the cost of the repair I'll obviously need to review all the options and decide what to do next. No matter what I will have the screen seal/bonding repaired.

Thanks all for all the help,

Peter

Archived