Fiat Ducato150 Windscreen Scuttle Trim Panel Leaks Into Engine Bay

trail66

Windscreen scuttle trim panel issues. I have experienced the following on an Autotrail Apache 700 2014 on a Fiat Ducato 150 Base

(i) Windscreen plastic scuttle replaced after first rainfall i.e. within 1 week of purchase from new. No seal at all between plastic scuttle and windscreen allowing water to pour over engine.

(ii) Scuttle centre joint leaks (on new scuttle trim panel) resealed 3 times by dealer, still leaks.

(iii) Windscreen wiper/ scuttle joint leaks.

(iv) Nearside and offside scuttle small drain holes constantly block, one drain tube had collapsed (from new) fitted new drain tube.

(v) New main scuttle drain pipe fitted and re-routed following discoverery of possible long term hazard i.e. the main scuttle drain design terminates the drain hose within interspace between wheel arch cover and wing wheel arch which results in rain water tracking down the brake ABS and other brake service pipework to the offside front brake assemble. This means the brake assembly is constantly soaked in rain water. When stationary for long periods this leads to brake disc corrosion and possible brake disc pad issues. It is worthy to note that rain water is not the only water source i.e. a heavy dew forming on the roof results in a significant amount of water collecting in the windscreen scuttle causing water ingress into the engine compartment from the above leak points.

Other leaks into engine bay noted: there is no design seal between the bonnet and the wing to scuttle quarter panels this allows water ingress onto the fuse box and steering pump assembly.

All the above have been reported and discussed before however, most owners only find out about the problems after purchase and a large proportion of owners are unaware of these design leakage issues and only find out following breakdown!

Fiat have chosen to do nothing. Albeit, I notice that the new 2015 Fiat Ducato models have a redesigned windscreen scuttle arrangement. Lets hope it is not the same designer who thought up the first design!

trail66 - 2015-11-05 6:59 PM

Albeit, I notice that the new 2015 Fiat Ducato models have a redesigned windscreen scuttle arrangement. Lets hope it is not the same designer who thought up the first design!

The X2/90 does seem to be much improved in this respect with 3 large drains, no centre joint and plastic covers now over most under-bonnet items, including the auxiliary belt and pulleys and the alternator, all of which were bare in X2/50 guise. I'm not getting any water under the bonnet when parked up but there is still no seal between bonnet leading edge and the headlamp units with the result that the fusebox and ECU still get wet when driving in the rain.

I own a PVC on a Fiat Ducato and have suffered issues with water ingress past the scuttle, which had buckled. The scuttle was replaced under warranty but it still leaked at one location where the adhesive pad had not stuck to the windscreen. I had intended taking it back to Fiat but have not bothered as I reckon it is a waste of time as the basic design is crap and the problem will always come back. I reckon you would be better just applying some tape over the joint between the scuttle and the windscreen and lots of people on here have done the same successfully.

More water actually gets in between the join between the bonnet and the lights but this was easily fixed by applying some self adhesive rubber seals from B & Q for doors and windows in your house in the gap. This was originally a temporary fix some months ago but it has worked so well I have left them in place.

I was washing the van last weekend using a jet wash and when I looked under the bonnet there was hardly any water under there. I am guessing that this is due to the colder weather which means that the scuttle is not being heated up by the sun and pulling away from the windscreen.

The main components under the bonnet are protected by plastic covers so I am not sure how much of a problem a little bit of water is.

It is all a bit annoying and slightly worrying but I think I just have to live with it and keep and eye on it.

We had a 2013 X250 Fiat and the small drainage holes constantly blocked up so kept a length of copper wire in the cab to keep them clear as and when. Apart from this we had very little water penetration into the engine bay.

We now have a 2015 X290 Fiat and the large drainage holes in the scuttle panel are certainly good. We drove down through France at the end of August in atrocious weather, so much rain we could barely see to drive at times but the water cleared away no problem and no ingress into the engine compartment.

Alan

Steve928 - 2015-11-05 8:45 PM

trail66 - 2015-11-05 6:59 PM

Albeit, I notice that the new 2015 Fiat Ducato models have a redesigned windscreen scuttle arrangement. Lets hope it is not the same designer who thought up the first design!

The X2/90 does seem to be much improved in this respect with 3 large drains, no centre joint and plastic covers now over most under-bonnet items, including the auxiliary belt and pulleys and the alternator, all of which were bare in X2/50 guise. I'm not getting any water under the bonnet when parked up but there is still no seal between bonnet leading edge and the headlamp units with the result that the fusebox and ECU still get wet when driving in the rain.

AlanS - 2015-11-09 9:24 PM

We had a 2013 X250 Fiat and the small drainage holes constantly blocked up so kept a length of copper wire in the cab to keep them clear as and when.

Just a suggestion, but we use a length of curtain wire; the stuff that looks like the outside of a push-bike brake cable. This is very flexible and is a good match in diameter to the drain holes. Put an 'eye' in one end and there is no chance of loosing it down the drain tube.

Archived