Fiat radio linked to ignition

angrita

I have a Swift Fiat Ducato 2004. The CD radio plays for 20 mins after ignition switch off, then goes off (my previous 1999 Ducato had the radio completely independent of ignition). This is not helpful if you are relaxing in the evening. Has anyone bypassed this problem? More importantly, if so, how? Thanks. :-(

Thats a good question, I tried to find out without success, however there was an article in MMM a couple of months back showing how it could be achieved, but in my case it would cancell my warranty, but as soon as thats up, I will change it. chas

[QUOTE]angrita - 2006-08-08 12:33 PM I have a Swift Fiat Ducato 2004. The CD radio plays for 20 mins after ignition switch off, then goes off (my previous 1999 Ducato had the radio completely independent of ignition). This is not helpful if you are relaxing in the evening. Has anyone bypassed this problem? More importantly, if so, how? Thanks. :-([/QUOTE] It just happens that Dave Newell is going to cure this problem on my van this weekend at Malvern. He's going to wire the cab radio to my leisure battery. This should cure the problem so I'm assured . Don

[QUOTE]chas - 2006-08-08 12:39 PM Thats a good question, I tried to find out without success, however there was an article in MMM a couple of months back showing how it could be achieved, but in my case it would cancell my warranty, but as soon as thats up, I will change it. chas[/QUOTE]

Chas

Who told you that?  There is no logical reason why changing the radio supply should cancel your warranty.  Many motorhomes have alternative wiring for the radio, just to avoid this problem.  I think you may have been badly advised.

Don, I'm glad you mentioned you want the radio connecting to the leisure battery, I thought you just wanted the 20 minute problem fixing and wouldn't have had the necessary gear with me. Sorted now though. D. To simply eliminate the 20 minute cutoff but retain the ignition on switching feed is quite simple. You need a couple of feet of twin core wire (speaker wire is ideal as the current carried is very low) a diode and a switch. mount the switch in a convenient place and connect one of each of the two cores to either side of the switch. Remove the radio and with a multi meter or test lamp establish which wires are the permanent live and ignition switched feeds. On Fiats the permanent live should be the thick red wire, sorry I can't remember the colour of the ignition switched feed. Once you have established the ignition switched feed cut it through about 50 mm from the socket and insert the diode into it (check it's the right way round by switching the ignition on, if the radio comes on then it's the right way round, if not reverse the diode). Connect one of the two cores from your new switch to the permanent live and the other to the radio side of the diode. Now your radio will still switch on and off with the ignition but by operating the switch you can have it on for as long as you like without the ignition on. To power your radio from the leisur battery run a new wire from your leisure battery (with a 10 Amp fuse as near to the battery as is possible) and cut the red from the original feed (again about 50mm from the socket). Connect the new wire to the red tail to the radio socket. DO NOT USE INSULATION DISPLACEMENT CONNECTORS (SCOTCHLOCKS) FOR ANY OF THE CONNECTIONS. EITHER SOLDER AND INSULATE OR USE PROPER CRIMP TERMINALS AND CONNECTORS. D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-08-08 2:09 PM Don, I'm glad you mentioned you want the radio connecting to the leisure battery, I thought you just wanted the 20 minute problem fixing and wouldn't have had the necessary gear with me. Sorted now though. D.[/QUOTE] Is the other job (polarity switch) still OK for the weekend. Don

Hi Brian- My guess would be that altering the wiring , what with the alarm system and the electronic systems would mean that if a problem did occur Peugeot would not want to know, even my dealer showed a reluctance to alter anything and they have an electrical side in their workshops, Also the article in MMM confirmed my suspitions in stating that if this alteration was done as described in could negate ones warranty. If I had my old van I would have easyly found a live feed ,and fitted a in line fuse to achieve the result I wanted, but as I say I will leave well alone and use my portable cd/radio player in the lounge /bedroom for the while. regards chas .

Hi Don, yes both jobs are ok for the weekend, no problems there. There is no good reason wht altering the wiring to the radio should affect the vehicle, or motorhome builders, warranty. Any subsequent problems can easily be diagnosed as being due to the wiring alterations or not as the case may be. If retro fitting a cruise control system, replacing the radio with a better unit or fitting a reversing camera don't affect warranty thenwhy on Earth would rewiring the radio do so? D.

Dave, while I agree with you on the warranty issue, the response from my dealer was the same that Chas had with his. Whether they know something we don,t or they just cannot be bothered I,m not sure, but as far as they are concerned this is a no go area. As for the 20 minute cut off I do not get even that on my Fiat. Ignition on, radio on. Ignition off, end of story. Howard.

As I said before I see no reason for rewiring a radio to invalidate a vehicle warranty but if that's the way they want to play it so be it. There is another solution available though, you can get an ISO male to ISO female harness adapter that will simply fit in between the existing female on the radio and male on the 'van's wiring. Make your alterations on this adapter lead (usually about six inches long) and fit it. Then no wiring mods done to original wiring = no warranty issues. Simple innit. D.

Hi Dave, It does sound simple , but a lot of motorcaravanners buy new for the protection of the warranty, and if the manufacturer decides to take a different view and says you are not covered, then look at all the agro ahead of you with letters, possible legal advice and expense, life is just to short to rock the boat. chas

Guest starspirit
As all radios these day are 'plug in' for wiring, getting another radio either new or used is simple enough and will not take more than 5 minutes to fit (if you have the extracter wotsits) and will not affect the warranty.

I do take your point but as I haven't, as yet, found a dealer of any brand of base vehicle who would invalidate the warranty for an after market cruise control system being fitted I find the idea ridiculous that they will invalidate it for altering a couple of wires at the radio. The fitment of third party cruise, or auto clutch, for example, is far more invasive than the proposed alterations to the radio wiring. If it were me I would speak to the dealers aain and ask why such a minor alteration (Swift/Bessacar for one example do alter the radio wiring, sadly they usually get it wrong and leave the radio only working for 20 mins at a time regardless of the ignition) should invalidate an entire vehicle warranty. D.

Hi Starspirit- I think the problem is not changing a radio for another one , but the wiring set up of the manufacturer which cuts off the power after 20mins, the idea being so you dont leave it on by accident and flat the starter battery down. chas

Hi Dave- The point I was making whas if anything went wrong with the electrics particulary in the engine loome or computor chip, I would not imagine a fault with say the gearbox would not be honoured just because the radio was altered. chas

Hi Chas, now you've got me confused. your last and second from last postings seem to contradict each other: "but a lot of motorcaravanners buy new for the protection of the warranty, and if the manufacturer decides to take a different view and says you are not covered, then look at all the agro ahead of you with letters, possible legal advice and expense, life is just to short to rock the boat. chas" "The point I was making whas if anything went wrong with the electrics particulary in the engine loome or computor chip, I would not imagine a fault with say the gearbox would not be honoured just because the radio was altered. chas" Your last posting is in general agreeing with my own statements. D.

Don , Another curious or SILLy? question .....Why is it linked ...Does it not get on your nerves ..I can't imagine just wanting to pull up have a rest and the radio wont go off ...Having to keep reaching for the turn down nob all the time.... Is there a logical reason do you know ? So now I see you are having it repaired by dave .........God bet your glad regards

[QUOTE]chas - 2006-08-08 4:17 PM Hi Dave, It does sound simple , but a lot of motorcaravanners buy new for the protection of the warranty, and if the manufacturer decides to take a different view and says you are not covered, then look at all the agro ahead of you with letters, possible legal advice and expense, life is just to short to rock the boat. chas[/QUOTE]

I believe some Sevel based motorhomes are supplied with the radio wiring already altered to avoid this problem.  If so, it can't really, invalidate the warranty. 

Why not contact the base vehicle manufacturer's (Peugeot?) customer services dept (commercial vehicles) and ask them what their attitude would be.  I think a chat initially, till you find a "man who knows" who is also helpful.  He may even know of the problem, (at least, he should by now) and the approved "fix".  Then ask him if he would e-mail you the necessary confirmations. 

If you're lucky, you should be able to present your dealer with a statement saying that says Peugeot wouldn't regard the modification as detrimental to the warranty.  If you're really lucky, you might also be able to show them how to fix it!  Might not work, but it'll only cost you a 'phone call initially.

Good luck

Hi Dave- Well thank goodness we are now both on the same wave length, I am sorry if you thought that I ment the WHOLE warranty on the vehicle, I dont think even the most unhelpfull manumacturer would try that one on, I thought it seemed obvious that say for instance an electrical modification was done on say the radio and it messed something else up in the electrical system, then the manufacturer would say you are not covered with the warranty on that, but say afterwards the back wheel bearing seized up they could not hold back on the warranty with something totaly unrelated with the first problem, that was my meanings all along. Cheers chas

Thanks for the clarification Chas, I still say that the mod described earlier in this thread by me shouldn't invalidate warranty at all. We're only talking about changing a power feed and fitting a switch for goodness sake. It's not as if the radio is can bus like on latest Mercs! D.

Guest starspirit
No Chas, the 'switch' is in the radio and if you hard wire it to bypass the 20 min device it will flatten your battery in a couple of weeks. That is a fact!

Hi Guys, We had the same problem last year with new Swift based M/home. It took the mechanic at the dealers about 2 minute to fix.. It seem that Swift for no apparent reason during conversion re wire the Radio, all dealers of Swift should know this and be able to fix. This is what our dealer told us anyway. (Marquis) David

Archived