Fire stick or another box for tv

flyboyprowler

I am thinking of getting an Amazon for stick for TV abroad. We will have the internet connection, but reading reports of the fire stick, they vary from useless too fantastic. If anyone has another source for watching TV, apart from a dish (which we have) they can recommend, I would be most grateful. Also Amazon offer a refurbished stick with a years guarantee, so is it better to buy new or refurbished.

The biggest problem for use abroad is your data download capacity. The fire stick needs access to the internet to work. There might also be geographical restrictions on some material. Stuff that might be accessible in the U.K. might not be accessible in parts of the EU even though you sign in on your account. I bought a dvd converter software kit and converted dvds to fit my hard drive in a small format computer (Beelink - check Amazon). In bad weather I can watch stuff from my hard disk. I also use Netflix and download films and series to my hard drive for watching when away. I find Amazon content next to useless and have just given up my Prime membership. Currently looking at Now TV Entertainment package but don’t yet know if I can access it from outside the UK

There is a good write up on the Firestick here:

https://ourtour.co.uk/home/streaming-uk-tv-into-a-motorhome-in-europe/

If you use a Vodafone SIM in Europe, there is no need for a VPN as you get a UK IP address. There is also no limits on the amount of data you can use abroad if you opt for the 50GB mobile broadband SIM at £25pm on a 30 day contract. Sadly the 100GB SIM's are no longer available and the new 'Unlimited' SIM's have a 25GB fair usage abroad.

Brand new Firestick's were £25 earlier in the week for Prime day and are often discounted on Amazon or by retailers such as Argos. Shouldn't be any need to buy refurbished.

Addie - 2019-07-19 9:56 PM

There is a good write up on the Firestick here:

https://ourtour.co.uk/home/streaming-uk-tv-into-a-motorhome-in-europe/

If you use a Vodafone SIM in Europe, there is no need for a VPN as you get a UK IP address. There is also no limits on the amount of data you can use abroad if you opt for the 50GB mobile broadband SIM at £25pm on a 30 day contract. Sadly the 100GB SIM's are no longer available and the new 'Unlimited' SIM's have a 25GB fair usage abroad.

Brand new Firestick's were £25 earlier in the week for Prime day and are often discounted on Amazon or by retailers such as Argos. Shouldn't be any need to buy refurbished.

Yes I picked up the 50GB Vodafone sim today, but through Motorhome wifi, it is £18 a month, and tonight I ordered a new Firestick, sadly at full price. As you say, the 50GB may not be enough, as an hours standard TV uses approx half a gig an hour, and that might suit our needs. It is just a shame that unused data can't be rolled over

• 4 months later...
Firestick is a great streaming solution. But you should set up a Fire Stick or in other words get it jailbroken. It means to maximize the privileges and allow use of software that the device designer attempted to prevent. On the fire stick you can just enable third party software installs by setting some options. If you are looking for the instruction on how to jailbreak the fire stick effectively, check out this step by step guide. It is easy to follow guide. This resource also covers tons of great hacks and trick on effective use of Fire Stick

rayshow - 2019-12-03 11:42 AM

Firestick is a great streaming solution. But you should set up a Fire Stick or in other words get it jailbroken. It means to maximize the privileges and allow use of software that the device designer attempted to prevent. On the fire stick you can just enable third party software installs by setting some options. If you are looking for the instruction on how to jailbreak the fire stick effectively, check out this step by step guide. It is easy to follow guide. This resource also covers tons of great hacks and trick on effective use of Fire Stick

Thanks for the info, and if you have a like to the "jailbreak" what ever that is, can you please post it. I have the Fire stick up and sort of running with the MiFi unit, and it seems to be ok.

I bought a fire stick a few weeks ago for £20 in Currys. At first I thought they had sold out so was considering a Now TV stick but a bit of googleing and a few questions to the stores tech geek (first sales person was wrong) indicated that only on the Amazon fire stick could you install a VPN to view BBC iplayer abroad (notwithstanding current Vodafone sim cards).

rayshow - 2019-12-04 1:17 PM

Firestick is a great streaming solution. But you should set up a Fire Stick or in other words get it jailbroken. It means to maximize the privileges and allow use of software that the device designer attempted to prevent. On the fire stick you can just enable third party software installs by setting some options. If you are looking for the instruction on how to jailbreak the fire stick effectively, check out this step by step guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAhzRQXX3o8 . It is easy to follow guide. This resource also covers tons of great hacks and trick on effective use of Fire Stick

Many thanks

Archived