First motorhome purchase..HELP

petenbev

After months of research and family debates we are now ready to buy our first motor home. We have a rough idea of what we would like. Fixed island bed that can be pushed slightly back. Separate toilet and shower in "bedroom area" 4 berth. Would really appreciate advice and input, as we are becoming a little "motor home blind" We have been put off the Bailey's due to so many complaints of damp.

Any advice would be gratefully received. We have a budget of around 50 - 55 grand. We also have 2 large dogs so must be a little bit roomy without us feeling as if we are driving a bus.

Many thanks in advance :-D

Hi Pete,

Welcome for starters.

I think the best start point is to read the ongoing Apache 632 Payload thread. Personally speaking you need to reverse engineer the problem (as what we finally did when we bought our second van), i.e. Look at what payload and goodies you want to take with you and then ensure that you get a van with a suitable payload capacity for your needs.

All the best,

Andrew

Hello PetenBev

If you have not already done so, take a look at the motorhome advice on the third thread down, posted by Duncan. There is a raft of information under the motorhome 'Out&About Live forum tab on the top line. The guides are easy to read any and questions can be asked through the forum. Do a search and see th sort of van on offer:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/

There is a well-specced Rapido A-Class on a Merc that may float your boat.

You are asking for a large van 7m+ and over 3,500kg. First question is, do you have a C1 entitlement on your licence to drive something over 3500kg? If not, are you going to take the test to get one? How comfortable will you be driving something almost as big as a midi bus? Next question is where are you going to store this large white block of motorhome when not in use? Motorhomers sometimes end up alienating their neighbours. Large vans are great for many reasons but going down country lanes is not one of them - so what sort of motorhoming do you think you will be doing, where, and have you any intention of motorhoming in the depths of winter - eg skiing?

If you are restricted to 3500kg, it really is back to the drawing board to reconsider what you want.

That National Motorhome Show in Peterborough is one this month and could be worth a visit.

Hi Pete

Hope you find your ideal motorhome. Once you do, you'll love the freedom it gives to travel places that you've never seen. The adventure begins!

Good advice above about looking at the motorhomes guides on here and visiting a motorhome show plus the biggest dealers to see various layouts first hand.

Bad advice to read all of the Apache payload thread as it does go on a bit! 8-) but its gist is very important i.e. Make sure that your chosen van has sufficient payload for your needs.

Happy hunting!

As Brock says

Can you drive (your license) over 3500? When you get to 70 this could be an issue.

Fixed beds take up a lot of space. It really does not take long to make up beds.. Large vans cost more on ferries, and can be difficult in some camp sites. Spending that sort of money for a first time? Personaly I would buy second hand , to make sure you like the lifestyle. Then you will have a better idea what layout suits you, and will be a cheaper option than losing on a b rand new van. You loose 20% (Vat) once our name is on the log book. OR hire the layout you think you want first Try before you buy!

Go to the shows and look at all layouts, and visualize how you would live in it. It does rain , so you won't always be outside van!

PJay

Take off the "rose tinted glasses" when looking!

A motorhome with a payload to have 4 belted seats, a requirement to carry two dogs and an island bed inevitably means a large motorhome that weighs over 3500kgs. The Autotrail thread previously mentioned highlights the need to choose a motorhome with a decent payload as sadly some manufacturers prioritise bling over practicality.

If the OP is unable to park his MH at home he will presumably need secure storage.

Some secure storage sites can only accommodate MHs up to 7 metres long although they may have a few longer spaces, usually located in the corners of the site, but these are popular and normally taken.

Parking at home can also be problematical, especially if the covenant disallows the parking of caravans/motorhomes on your property.

When you write your list of requirements, put PAYLOAD right at the top in capital letters and calculate what payload will be lost when you have added all the desirables on your list.  Almost all manufacturers neglect payload as a factor and many actively misrepresent and mislead about it.

For example Hymer now assume (for payload purposes) you will travel with only 20 litres of water on board (and that you will therefore go to a site and top up when you get there) even if you tank will hold ten times that amount.  Having the payload to carry enough water to stop where there might not be a ready supply is one of the things motorhoming is all about.

StuartO - 2017-04-09 2:19 PMWhen you write your list of requirements, put PAYLOAD right at the top in capital letters and calculate what payload will be lost when you have added all the desirables on your list.  Almost all manufacturers neglect payload as a factor and many actively misrepresent and mislead about it.

For example Hymer now assume (for payload purposes) you will travel with only 20 litres of water on board (and that you will therefore go to a site and top up when you get there) even if you tank will hold ten times that amount.  Having the payload to carry enough water to stop where there might not be a ready supply is one of the things motorhoming is all about.

And to make it slightly trickier......both (or all three if on a tag axle chassis) axles have a weight (payload) limit that you need to stay within. The thread mentioned above does cover this aspect as, again, once you have made your purchase and then find the rear axle is overloaded, it can be expensive to uprate the weights and sometimes not possible depending on the chassis it was originally built on.You may have already ploughed your way through all this technical advice which is very good. However, in terms of the right make/model it would be difficult for anyone to point you in the right direction. One look at an interior may put you off a layout you really did like on paper. But the other advice above, to go to a show, visit dealerships where you can, and try as many out as possible is sound advice. Don't just sit on the seats and look around though. Try the bed for size and comfort - even getting in and out varies. Stand in the shower and bathroom, go through the motions of bathing to see if you smack your elbows or, worse, your forehead on the sparkling chrome non swivelling basin tap. While sitting on the seats make sure you can do so in comfort doing the things you want to do. Watch TV, read (reading lights overhead?), just putting your feet up to lounge. Open the cupboards but visualise where your belongings would fit - especially important for any garage you may have beneath the bed area. Finally (but not finitely) be realistic about the amount of 'stuff' you will be taking with you most particularly on long journeys.As far as your perfect motorhome is concerned, you have started out well by identifying the main things you are seeking. If you have not already done so clarify your thoughts by writing a comprehensive list of things you are looking for. This list should have three main components. 'Must haves' are items you really want in the spec and and are not prepared to compromise on - this would include, for instance, automatic or manual gearbox, engine size, chassis make preferred, number of berths and so on. The second part would be 'Should Haves' and will include things that may vary from vehicle to vehicle but should be your minimum requirement. Think refrigerator size/type, oven, bike rack for certain number of bikes etc. Finally there are the 'Could Haves' which would be things that you would like but can live without - maybe a solar panel or second leisure battery. Each of these examples you may want in a higher or lower part of the list but it will give you something to refer to when you see vehicles and you can literally tick the boxes that suit you.All that said, part of the enjoyment should be in the search for your dream home so don't be too disappointed about the advice on here - there will be a suitable motorhome for you out there. I speak from experience as we have found our 'perfect' motorhome several times!Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of motorhoming.David

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and the warm welcome,I'll have a good read round at reviews n stuff now.I was underestimating the importance of payload,I knew you had to stay within it but I thought it would be a lot easier than it seems to be.We're going to have a good look around brownhills in Newark and hopefully narrow it down to 3 suitable ones.I feel a lot more confident in what to look out for now.Im dreading the insurance searching and then the gas type we need etc but also looking forward to it.I really cant wait to get on the road but we'll try and stay (fairly) sensible

Thanks again

petenbev - 2017-04-09 6:55 PM

I really cant wait to get on the road but we'll try and stay (fairly) sensible

Thanks again

Hi Pete,

The next two things to consider is the purchase price of a van and then the 'all inclusive offers' which may be bespoke to the supplying dealer. It is so easy to be suckered in by the salesman who will tell you (with a straight face) that if you sign now then you'll get the best deal ever; well, not quite mate.

The missus and I have had close-up dealings with 17 different dealers over the last two months before we ordered our new MH, but guess what - not one gave us their best deal straight away. In some cases the difference in purchase price was vast so you really need to keep your sensors about you.

If you're a first time buyer then you have no PX and therefore your business is Golden - no complications for the dealer, just profit, so they'll be keen to have your business.

Good luck,

Andrew

When intending to go to Brownhills, you have a wide sekection of dealers in a relatively small area. SMC as already identified, Lowdems, & David Fuller @ Gunthorpe, Camper UK @ Lincoln, others @ Southwell & Mansfield, so worth checking their websites for island bed models before your journey.

Pete

I don't know the 718 but I bought a Chausson Welcome 76, used in late 2011 from Lowdhams.

Lowdhams were very good and we are very happy with the motorhome. We live roughly half way between Lowdhams at Gunthorpe and Brownhills at Newark and we went with the one of those that we thought seemed the most considerate, the ones who were prepared to take time with us, and and thus they got our money.

SMC at Newark have also been mentioned and we have also had dealings with them and they have been excellent too.

Mick Bajcar

petenbev - 2017-04-10 9:43 PM

We've decided to go to lowdhams in Notts instead of brownhills,we like the look of the Chausson 718 xlb,anyone got any tips,advice or experience with Chausson or lowdhams?

Petenbev

Until this spring we did have a 2015 Chausson Welcome 717 GA which is the twin single bedded version but it did not have the electric drop down bed I assume the one you are looking at has to give you the 4 berths.

There will be a large underbed storage and all the comments above re payload are relevant. Mine was at its rear axle load limit of 2000 kgs when empty so could not put anything in the garage or beneath the beds without overloading it. On top of that, with two people, bikes, chairs, table etc we were overloaded by a total of 350 kgs - without the electric bed. So do make sure this payload will meet your needs. In the end, as the van was on the Fiat Ducato Light chassis, we had to fit rear air suspension and new rear tyres with higher load index.

Unfortunately, my comments also about making sure you can wash and bathe properly were as a direct result of the Chausson bathroom. The sink had a lovely chrome domestic style tap of very good quality - but it didn't swivel and prevented you from splashing water over your face from the (quite shallow) basin - unless you are fond of the big lumps on the forehead look.

Seriously though, the new model may have some changes but the weights are important. We also found that the heating system failed to provide enough hot air to the cab seating area due to the distance (boiler was under rear bed) and amount of vents at the rear. One other thing that became clear was that the habitation battery fitted by the dealer (not Lowdhams) was beneath the UK passenger seat. Chausson says it should be under the passenger seat but, of course, they are referring to the continental (UK offside) seat which had provision for the battery vent tube. On ours the battery fitted was a Banner Energy Bull which is a high maintenance battery and was not vented to the outside. This can be quite dangerous. Furthermore, I could not easily check the fluid levels as the whole seat had to come off. Due to these problems (all contained in an earlier thread on here (sorry but I don't know how to post a link) and advice received on here I replaced the Banner with two Varta LFD90 batteries that are maintenance free but were still vented to the outside. We sold the vehicle earlier this year in exchange for something that we now have no particular qualms about in these areas.

Sorry to be the bearer of such negative observations but they are only my views and that should not put you off taking a good look at something which may very well meet all your needs so good luck with the hunt.

David

Pete,

I have checked out the van on the dealer site and it looks like a nice MH albeit I don't think for one minute that it is practicable for your requirements in technical terms.

Personally speaking, I've now come to the conclusion in recent days that if you want a motorhome that can legally accommodate several people (3+); their kit, dogs, logistic supplies and the home comforts that one should expect from a motorhome then the only real option is to opt for a van with a heavy chassis. If you choose anything else then you're just doomed - simple as!

You have a fantastic budget to play with so the best course of action (IMO) would be to buy a 65/16/66-plate nearly-new van on a heavy chassis.

The guys have mentioned four dealers in your area so take some time to examine their nearly new gear and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

All the best,

Andrew

Bop - 2017-04-11 9:44 AM

Ooooops, I have to add the age, license entitlement and health caveats to my idea of buying a van with a heavy chassis :-D

Indeed. Until we know the licensing position of the OP I don't think we can be of any more help other than to say the particular motorhome in question is totally unsuitable for a family of four plus dog as indeed will most - or even any -sub 3500kgs vehicles as payload will always be the determining factor.

PetenBev have not said they are buying the Chausson they liked. They are currently asking for comments on Chausson and Lowdhams.

All I know is that in 2017 Chausson was 12th in a league table I saw of manufacturers [still in the Gold group] and only beaten by 3 others who mass produce coachbuilts. Lowdhams were 10th as a dealer and also in the Gold service category. Chausson have won several awards over the years. It's a question of searching the 'net to find them.

The current Chausson brochure and technical specification for the 718xlb give a payload of either 396kg [brochure] or 446kg [technical] including "maximum reserve of water in circulation" whatever that means. Lowdhams' website says the payload in "TBC". Therefore, my advice is tie down whatever Chausson & Lowdhams say on whatever is bought from them and get it confirmed in writing.

Archived