Fitting Roof Bars to a Motorhome

AndyDakota

I'm considering fitting roof bars to the roof of our MH. As the MH (Autotrail Dakota) is only two years old and therefore still within the warranty period I don't want to risk fitting it myself and invalidate the warranty. I've had a few quotes and all are around £400 which seems pretty expensive. I want to carry a paddle board on the roof as its too large to fit inside. For security reasons I don't fancy having a ladder fixed to the back of the MH, so I intend buying a telescopic ladder which can be stored in the motorhome to enable me to load and unload the board. I will need a ladder as the MH is over 3M high.

Has anybody else had any prior experience similar to this please?

Thanks in advance.

The around-£400 quotes you’ve been given presumably reflect the type, specification and quality of the roof bars you want. For example the prices qiven in the following link vary according to the particular product involved

http://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/motorhome_roof_rack_bars.htm

I would have though that, unless the installation of the roof bars is authorised by Auto-Trail, you will be putting your motorhome’s warranty at risk. Even if the task were to be performed by an Auto-Trail dealership, I suggest you check very carefully what potential impact retro-fitting roof-bars would have if, say, there were a water-ingress problem subsequently, or the roof developed cracks.

Can’t you carry the board on the rear of your motorhome where it would be more accessible, rather on the roof where you’d need a ladder to reach the board and risk compromising the roof’s integrity by having bars fitted?

Hi Derek. The £400 was for a pair of Thule roof bars from two different suppliers.

I did think about carrying it on the back of the MH but I would need to put it vertically therefore I'd have to fit a rack to sit it on and then some kind of roof bar to fix the top to. I decided against this as it would probably work out more expensive for the rack, I'd have to buy two roof bars and only use one, I'd still have to attach it so I would need to bolt or screw it to fix it (causing the same warranty issues) and lastly the board isn't cheap and would be more prone to theft.

I think its going to be cheaper to have roof bars fitted buy an authorised dealer.

Thanks for your reply though.

Hi..

I've seen vans with short kayaks being carried vertically on the rear before now, using DIY looking, carriers..

Maybe using a tow bar / rear bumper as a starting point, in order to mount a lower "socket"? with an upper fixing frame attached from it? (with maybe bike rack mounts providing additional steading points?)i

Oh! that first photo is B-I-G ! :$

s-l1000.thumb.jpg.9da8f7485706a8b7eb760fc400b5572b.jpg

Rack.jpg.bbab628cd1e0e3c88fe9ccd7867b7fb8.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-15 8:13 AM...................I would have though that, unless the installation of the roof bars is authorised by Auto-Trail, you will be putting your motorhome’s warranty at risk. Even if the task were to be performed by an Auto-Trail dealership, I suggest you check very carefully what potential impact retro-fitting roof-bars would have if, say, there were a water-ingress problem subsequently, or the roof developed cracks.......................

I very much agree with this. I suggest you write to AT and get a written reply back, stating their conditions for retro fitting roof bars without invalidating the warranty. Roofs are for keeping water out. Roof bars have to be mechanically attached, meaning holes in the roof. Holes in a guaranteed waterproof roof are not the best idea - whatever the manufacturer of the sealant goo claims!

Are you restricted to a particular size of board? Aren't there smaller ones? I don't much like the look of those that project above the roof line when carried vertically - look to me liable to catch a low hanging tree branch somewhere. Sorry!

Brian Kirby - 2017-02-15 4:54 PM

... I don't much like the look of those that project above the roof line when carried vertically - look to me liable to catch a low hanging tree branch somewhere. Sorry!

Yes, I don't know how long , long boards are...but I would expect them to stick well above the van (as you say, that'd leave it/them vulnerable).

It's only the stumpy little kayaks that I've seen in "real-life"..

Brilliant idea from J P

Just taken one to my son in Qatar in check in luggage - weight 12.5 kg inc pump/ paddle etc.

We inflated it in a few minutes and it is huge... 3 meters long and rock solid

Can't vouch for heavy rollers or competitive use but brilliant for less serious use.

Think he paid under £400 for it special Black Friday deal

Hi Andy when contacting Autotrail I would also state WHAT you intend to use the roof rails for.

I would think that with a large paddle board, the wind will create high forces on any fastenings for the roof rails to the roof.

Whereas the rear panel will have specific fixing points for a bike rack, which could be adapted to carry a paddle board (up to approx. 2.7metre long) in a vertical position or maybe even diagonally, if slightly longer.

The rear panel mounting points will be suitable for the weight of the rack + a couple of bikes, so should be adequate for the weight of a paddle board.

If you determine the fixing points for a bike rack, it's possible you may be able to get a local aluminium fabricator to make a bespoke rack/carrier using those positions, for the board.

That MH in the picture with bikes and kayaks must be owned by Action Man :-D . I really don't fancy that as I can't see it being too long before a branch or something low will catch it and cause significant damage. Plus the drag when driving must be immense, and the wind must put a huge strain on the brackets that its fixed to.

I go on the roof once a year to get into all the crevices and give it a really good clean, but I hadn't thought about having a roof rack could mean extra walking on the roof, this should definitely be avoided due to the possible disturbance of seals around the edges and vents etc.

I knew about inflatable paddle boards, and possibly this is the way I may choose to go as I could get an inflatable and all the stuff that goes with it for about the same price as a fitted roof rack and telescopic ladder. This isn't going to have any impact on the roof, plus I would always be able to sell it if and when I finish with it.

I think we are all guilty of wanting to add stuff to our pride and joy MH's, and at the end of the day we never get it back when we come to sell. In saying that I suppose if it gets used its money well spent.

Or finally maybe I should realise I'm getting too old for some water sports :-( .

Archived