Fixed corner bed gas lift struts.

Chudders

I have an Auto sleepers motorhome but I think my question will relate to any motorhome with a fixed corner bed (french bed !)

The bed lifts to gain internal access to the below locker but it is heavy to lift and then place the stay to keep it up.

I would like to add a couple of gas lift struts. I know some other motorhomes have them to assist lifting even if they don't keep the bed up without additional support.

If anyone has such an arrangement, I would love to know what strength is printed on the strut and what length and maybe even a picture although that may be asking too much.

Any advice appreciated,

I am gonna try to visit a dealer with forecourt stock that I can take a peek and and see if I can find any with struts. I have tried the manufacturers of the motorhome but all they can tell me is they do fit some newer ones that have struts but they buy the bed assemblies in from an outside supplier complete and just install them.

Dave

If you talk to Auto Sleepers they may well be able to advise you for either supply only or supply and fit as they did me when I wanted to fit gas struts to our side bench seats.

In the end they were much more expensive than an independent supplier who were also able to advise me once they knew the span and the weight to be supported.

The link below is to the firm I used and following a couple of phone calls to a very helpful guy (whose name escapes me - sorry!) they supplied struts, ball joints and brackets for DIY fitting.

It took a bit of figuring out but once figured out was simple enough to do. I did have tolet some gas out of the struts to get a good balance but as long as you do this bit by bit it is not difficult.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/adjustable

Thaks for the info. Auto sleepers parts dept could not really help but I will contact SGS and I have now seen a fixed bed with struts this afternoon and they are 150nm about 20" long so I will see what they say

Thanks for your help

Dave

Archived