Flashed in France

BKen1

Just got back from France and on reading a few forums there seem to be a lot of people getting flashed by the speed cameras .

If you have a GPS unit .mines a TomTom Go 50 ...you can set the menu to show the speed limit on screen and have an audible warning if you go over and have found it to be very accurate coinciding with the roadside signs. I use it all the time, can be small anyonce sometimes but well worth it. Even if I know the route I still leave it on for the warnings. Well worth the investment as more and more cameras are appearing over Europe and one fine can be the cost of the unit.

Brian K

I always use my satnav when driving abroad as it's easy to see the speed in kph, and the audable warning is handy, but should note you can't 100% rely on the speed limits being up to date, I know of several places that the speed limits have changes couple of years ago but are still wrong on the latest maps.

PJay - 2017-08-18 11:34 AM

I thought speed trap indicators where banned in some countries? We do not use ours on our sat nav

PJay

Very true but the warnings mentioned here are the actual speed limits in force not where a speed trap may be located.

B-)

PJay - 2017-08-18 11:34 AM

I thought speed trap indicators where banned in some countries? We do not use ours on our sat nav

PJay

These links primarily relate to Speed Camera DETECTORS

http://www.sixtblog.co.uk/travel-and-leisure/speed-camera-detector-laws/

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/international-speed-cameras.htm

This 2007 article

https://www.engadget.com/2007/02/09/switzerland-bans-some-gps-devices-for-speed-camera-warnings/

reported that Switzerland was banning GPS devices (eg. sat navs) that showed speed-camera locations, but I don’t know what the present position is in that country.

(I constantly break speed limits while driving, so enabling my Garmin sat-nav’s audible warning feature would drive me nuts.)

Brian Kirby - 2017-08-18 2:39 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-08-18 1:28 PM..............................(I constantly break speed limits while driving, so enabling my Garmin sat-nav’s audible warning feature would drive me nuts.)

Yep! :-D

Drives the wife nuts but keeps me on my toes and off the gas (lol)

I am talking about speed limits in general not the location of Radar Units .

Will 86....I find after driving for awhile on a good road and spot the police I ask what is the limit here ...so TomTom is handy reminder.....probably and age thing...

Boasting of breaking the speed limit is hardly something to be proud of - like it's some kind of badge of honour, is irresponsible and frankly immature.

Ironic that this statement comes from one of the forum'gurus' (I think that's the general term) and equally seconded by his partner in crime......in the literal sense.

I'd be interested to know at what speed limits these ' daredevils' decide they know better than the governing bodies that put them in place.....is that - 30,40,50,60?

I fully accept that few of us (if any) technically stay within the law - but some limits are clearly more important than others.

I think you may have slightly the wrong end of the stick.

My driving speed depends on two things, safety under prevailing conditions (which is a judgement), and legal limits (which are not a judgement). I have no desire to get booked for speeding in a 3.5 tonne (or any other) vehicle - and never have been.

However, where road conditions permit I do drive "to" the limit (with the general exception of motorways, where the limit is higher than I judge sensible in the van). This invariably means that at times (for example downhill) the vehicle will exceed the legal limit until I slow it back down. Since the sat-nav data is frequently out of step with the signposted limits (for example, but not limited to, when a road has had lower limits imposed for now completed long-term roadworks) the warnings become a) irrelevant and b) a distracting irritation.

I set the cruise control close to, but marginally below, the limit. For example, where the limit is 90kph, and given favourable conditions, I usually set it to 87kph on a level road, which means about 85 on rising ground, and sometimes 92 - 93 on downgrades - until checked. This is set using the sat-nav rather than the speedometer, which is "fast". I find this generally keeps station with prevailing traffic speeds, so the van does not become an impediment to others.

As with all things that involve judgement, this technique can result in occasional overshoot as well as undershoot. However, it is my response to maintaining the best attainable compromise between progress and legality. So far it has served me well in both respects. Just to be clear, this does not mean that I maintain this speed under unfavourable conditions - I have a quite well developed sense of self-preservation! :-D

Judgement of speed appropriate to conditions is a constant necessity, unless one wishes to advance the theory that it is invariably safe to drive at the permitted limit whatever the conditions! I can't speak for Derek, but would imagine he takes a similar approach, with similar results - in that he occasionally finds he is exceeding the legal limit and takes similar action, but doesn't try to maintain the legally permissible 30mph through a busy High Street. Frankly, I'm rather surprised I've needed to explain this.

globebuster - 2017-08-18 2:43 PM

Boasting of breaking the speed limit is hardly something to be proud of - like it's some kind of badge of honour, is irresponsible and frankly immature.

Ironic that this statement comes from one of the forum'gurus' (I think that's the general term) and equally seconded by his partner in crime......in the literal sense.

I'd be interested to know at what speed limits these ' daredevils' decide they know better than the governing bodies that put them in place.....is that - 30,40,50,60?

I fully accept that few of us (if any) technically stay within the law - but some limits are clearly more important than others.

To be frank it's easy to see why and how speed limits get broken in this country.

My route down to Dover port is M6, M5, M40, M20. The gps was bonging away like nuts every few miles with speed cam warnings. Some average speed cams are set at 40 or 50mph and unbelievably...one stretch at 30mph! And this is a road where the national speed limit was set at 70mph!! Staggering!! Of course all it succeeds in doing is bunching the traffic up to a snail pace crawl. But then it also coins in plenty of easy dosh for the Exchequer. These average speed cam sections are in place 24/7 so drive the same sections in the middle of the night when the motorway is virtually deserted, and it will test even the most patient and law abiding drivers.

Once i entered the land of sanity across the pond, what a refreshing change to hear the first 'bong' on the Autobahn flash up a limit of 75mph. Hhmmmm.........that's no problem for me as i'm content to 'tootle along' at pleasurable relaxing 60mph. I can live with those kind of sensible limits.

Most motorhomes will be flashed in France by the new taller speed cam especially on A and N roads that are 120-130kph basically because of the size of the motorhome, especially if you are travelling over 90kph on these roads. The camera cannot tell if you are a truck or not, the truck speed limit is 90kph and sometimes 80kph so if your over then you will probably be flashed but as long as your speed is below the maximum limit you will here no more about it.

I have been flashed by these new taller cameras virtually every time I have used the motorways in the camping-car here in France but I have not received any penalty notice. I just smile for the camera now.. :-D

elamessa - 2017-08-19 10:18 AM

Most motorhomes will be flashed in France by the new taller speed cam especially on A and N roads that are 120-130kph basically because of the size of the motorhome, especially if you are travelling over 90kph on these roads. The camera cannot tell if you are a truck or not, the truck speed limit is 90kph and sometimes 80kph so if your over then you will probably be flashed but as long as your speed is below the maximum limit you will here no more about it.

I have been flashed by these new taller cameras virtually every time I have used the motorways in the camping-car here in France but I have not received any penalty notice. I just smile for the camera now.. :-D

Noticed this last winter as we travelled to/from Spain. A bit disconcerting at the time and thought there must be weight monitoring in the carraigeway then realised that the heavy trucks I was overtaking were not being flashed. Then thought maybe they were using road cameras to track foreign registered vehicles but the size (height) thing is probably the thing that is setting them off - especially as we tend to dawdle along at the average speed of up to 90kph on A roads but have gone over this on motorways when I have had to use them.

Not had any penalty notices though.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Ah but the issue often is in parts of Europe, what is the limit. We drive a lot in Italy and there are speed limits and speed limits. On some roads we adhere to the limits (signs) and everybody overtakes us, on other roads where there are no signs we follow the sat nav limits and we catch people up.

Generally we try not to speed, but busy traffic and few signs causes issues. I'm amazed we have no tickets every year

cheers alan

We drove to Slovenia and back earlier in the year, - There are literally so many speed limits of different varieties it is almost impossible to stay 100% of the time within each and every one although I tried, clearly successfully, since nothing happened, - although I half thought I might have a problem.

I think we were flashed on occasion, they see a motorhome, think it's a truck, and assume it weighs over 3500 kg which ours doesn't, I was advised that the French authorities check these details before sending out a fine, and if it's a "foreign motorhome" they simply bin it, too complex to work it all out.

The Sat Nav was invaluable, I keep the maps and the speed limit d/b up to date, firstly it details the speed I am actually doing, and I believe it to be very accurate, - and I can clearly see it, and in km,s - The Ducato speedo isn't all that clear in some conditions,

Mostly it warns of speed camera's ahead although I realise in France this isn't permitted and of course the speed traps can be mobile.

The UK is becoming a nightmare as well, - so many 50's, 40's and 30,s - I know as a driver you must pay full attention however it's so easy to slip into another limit accidentally and miss a sign, designed to catch you out. I have no desire to get caught, and even less desire to speed in a motorhome, but it takes great care and attention.

One problem I find is that all the time you are looking at the speedo, you are not looking at the road where the danger may be. I use the speed on the satnav in KMH /MPH as it is easier to see and your eyes are still on the road. Also it beeps if I go over the limit. I remember from my first driving lesson being told not to look at the gear stick when changing gear because you are not looking at the road. Similar situation.

I was also flashed by speed cameras this week driving through France but I was under the speed limit

Archived