Flat battery of a new delivered mtorhome.

When a new motor home is delivered it is expected that your dealer has done it. But its your responsibility to check out their history. in case of doubt there are many tools to find out. Normally show room will go in to rent or sale in case that model is no longer available from the factory. However the transit times of a new one can be very long and detrimental to the battery's.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-05-22 4:40 PM

How is that possible in two days?

I was in that situation on my last van.

When I went through all the van documentation, I found that the chassis had been built in July 2011 (Fiat build and spec sheet), RollerTeam did the conversion November 2011 (Gas test printout in gas locker), but the van didn't come in to the UK until December 2012 (CoC). I took delivery March 2013 & the van struggled to start on the way home after filling up with diesel.

The next weekend the battery was flat, so had to call Fiat Assist to get me started & follow me down to the local Fiat Professional depot, where a new (OE spec Fiamm) battery was fitted under warranty FOC. Standing around for 20 months from leaving the production line is obviously not good for the cab battery, but it was changed without any comment. No subsequent problems with that battery for the near 4 years I owned the van.

My current Ford went through Chausson's works in December last year & was delivered to the dealer just before Christmas for pick-up March this year. As this is the new Euro 6 Transit, it would not have been hanging around for very long before Chausson did their bit, so this cab battery is very much newer than the last one & no problems with it so far (though after dealings with Ford over the injector issues, I doubt very much that they would have taken the same line with a battery problem that Fiat did !).

Nigel B

In many motorhomes the batteries (starter and/or leisure) will be beneath cab seats and, when the seats have swivel mechanisms, accessing the batteries will normally require seat-removal. Even when a battery is accessible, it may not be possible to establish its date of manufacture without disconnecting it and, even if the battery is disconnected and physically removed from where it is housed, it may still not be practicable to obtain that datum if the battery manufacturer has ‘coded’ the information and the coding system is not known.

Unless virtually nil effort is involved I doubt that any motorhome dealer will check the age of a new motorhome’s batteries as part of the PDI.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-05-25 9:22 AM

Unless virtually nil effort is involved I doubt that any motorhome dealer will check the age of a new motorhome’s batteries as part of the PDI.

Especially when he can't claim the cost of a new battery from the manufacturer because its date code expired when he had it in stock :-S

My understanding is that a motorhome manufacturer will anticipate (or even instruct) that a dealership will carry out a pre-delivery inspection (PDI) before a new motorhome is handed over to its buyer. However (at least in the UK) there is no legal requirement that a PDI be carried out, nor (if one is carried out) that documentation relating to it be standardised. This was discussed years ago in this forum thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pre-Delivery-Inspection/2343/

Consequently, despite John52 saying earlier that "The PDI check sheet of a new van includes checking the date code of the battery and replacing it if its over a certain age”, as there’s no standardisation of a PDI check-sheet's format, a battery date-code check might appear on one dealership’s check-sheet but not on another.

I’ve yet to see a motorhome PDI check-list that includes checking battery date-codes and replacing ‘over-age’ batteries, so it would be interesting to know which motorhomes (and/or dealerships) the check-sheets John52 mentions relate to.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-05-26 7:58 AM

My understanding is that a motorhome manufacturer will anticipate (or even instruct) that a dealership will carry out a pre-delivery inspection (PDI) before a new motorhome is handed over to its buyer. However (at least in the UK) there is no legal requirement that a PDI be carried out, nor (if one is carried out) that documentation relating to it be standardised. This was discussed years ago in this forum thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pre-Delivery-Inspection/2343/

Consequently, despite John52 saying earlier that "The PDI check sheet of a new van includes checking the date code of the battery and replacing it if its over a certain age”, as there’s no standardisation of a PDI check-sheet's format, a battery date-code check might appear on one dealership’s check-sheet but not on another.

I’ve yet to see a motorhome PDI check-list that includes checking battery date-codes and replacing ‘over-age’ batteries, so it would be interesting to know which motorhomes (and/or dealerships) the check-sheets John52 mentions relate to.

It was the Citroen Dealership PDI check sheet for my Citroen Relay Van

OK, so Citroen dealerships apparently do this for new Relays, but that doesn’t mean Fiat dealerships do it for Ducatos, Ford dealerships do it for Transits, Mercedes dealerships do it for Sprinters, etc.

Presumably the Citroen dealership told you that, if the starter-battery were found to be more than one year old, it would be replaced, or was there something on the PDI check-sheet to indicate this was standard practice?

It’s the case nowadays that a motorhome’s base-vehicle will have been PDI-ed before it is delivered to a motorhome dealership, so there’s no real incentive for that dealership to check the age of the starter-battery before handing the vehicle over to a buyer.

My topic was the house cell battery which sit somewhere in battrey box, maybe room for more than one only. And some more equipment like the solar loading box. Here you can take real voltage readings It is a very important compartment. Have a look there regulary. Learn how to open it and closure. The same for the fiat battery. The other one will be full understanding of your electric diagram of fiat and the house diagram which are interconnected. If not you rely on others to keep you moving.

Archived