Flies and more flies

stevec176

This might seem a strange subject but whenever I use my van it ends up with the front and wing mirrors covered in dead flies and needs washing. That's annoying enough but the damn flies just won't wash off and I have to rub and scrape to remove them and remove the dried blood. Does anyone know of a good wax or surface treatment to apply that will enable me to have a clean van, quickly and easily? I bought the van new 2 months ago and the van has been treated with Supagard, I've never cleaned a vehicle so many times in such a short time so any suggestions great full accepted.

Unfortunately MHs are not very aerodynamic so they are responsible for killing more than their fair share of flies on days when they are about.  You therefore have to clean them off.  At least it doesn't happen every day you drive, or at least not seriously.

I have a small T shaped cleaning thingy with a sponge (bound in nylon mesh) on one side and a rubber scraper/wiper on the other.  The handle is a liquid reservoir with a squirting button and I keep a detergent solution in it.  I use this to remove flies from the front end and windscreen (including the mirror casings) when I don't need to wash the whole MH.   It lives in a pocket near the drivers door, ready to go with liquid in it, and it's easily got out and put away so I can use it part way through a journey for a quick fly removal if necessary.  Essential to wet the fly-spalttered area with the detergent solution and then leave it to soak, even if only for 30 seconds, to make them easier to get off.   The nylon mesh on the sponge side make a good scrubber and the rubber scraper wipes the surface clean afterwards.  Worth its weight in gold but I've no idea where I got it and haven't seen any for sale for years.

I have another T shaped thingy without reservoir, a bit bigger and the handle extends, so I can reach the bodywork above the windscreen - but that needs a bowl or bucket of detergent and water.

Guest pelmetman

I tend to wash our van early in the morning when the dew is on it.......the flies come off easy peasy ;-) .....

Autosmart G101 cleaner. It's what we use on the Tiger Moths at Headcorn airfield. Spray a diluted solution on - wait 5 mins, then rub off with a wet sponge, then a damp chammy leather. No more flies, no marks, no smears, no nasty chemicals. QED

As an ex hgv driver we used to fasten a piece of rag to the mirror arm just above the mirrors offside especially, the rag flapped over the mirrors in the turbulence and kept them reasonably clean from flies dirt and dirty rainwater thrown up off the road, does not impede your vision try it and see if it help. :-D

As an ex hgv driver we used to fasten a piece of rag to the mirror arm just above the mirrors offside especially, the rag flapped over the mirrors in the turbulence and kept them reasonably clean from flies dirt and dirty rainwater thrown up off the road, does not impede your vision try it and see if it help. :-D

stevec176 - 2016-06-21 8:41 PM

This might seem a strange subject but whenever I use my van it ends up with the front and wing mirrors covered in dead flies and needs washing.

Personally I leave the van covered in squashed flies and don't feel that it needs washing. They come off in the winter.

Do not under any circumstances use G101 it is far too agresive and will strip any wax you have on the van. Better to clean thoroughly then wax using Collonite 476, which will help with making the surface super slippery

stevec176 - 2016-06-21 8:41 PM

...Does anyone know of a good wax or surface treatment to apply that will enable me to have a clean van, quickly and easily?...

I use this

http://www.bilthamber.com/double-speed-wax

It perhaps needs emphasizing that this is a ‘wax’ not a ‘polish’, so the vehicle needs to be properly cleaned before applying it. It won’t cause dead flies (or dirt) to magically fall off body panels, but it certainly makes washing the muck off easier.

I have “Mirror Guard” protectors on my Ducato’s mirrors and, as the protectors have a shiny finish, washing dead flies off is fairly simple. It should be anticipated that cleaning the non-smooth finish of the standard black mirrors will be more challenging.

I found the squeegee/wiper cleaner with the built in spray and reservoir I mentioned here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Window-Cleaner-Squeegee-Sponge-Built-in-Spray-Pump-Brand-New-3-in-1-/152117928295?hash=item236aef6167:g:GF4AAOSwGYVXBh6g

Well worth having one handy - mine tucks into a pouch near the door with fluid in it, ready to go.

Archived