Ford under motorhome pressure complaints.

In the netherlands there was a petion of about 150 motorhomers who had engine damage out of the warranty period. mostly broken pistons. They refuse to do anything and saying motorhomers overload their engine, and bad oil change, ANWB stripped the engines and find out that the injectors could be the problem. They send to Denso one of the makers to make pray test and theyfind one faulty. another tester find much more. There was also a motorhomer stalled in croatia. He had two options transfer or local repair by ford. They decide to replace the engine locally, but ford said that this engine will fall under croation warrantee rules.

Thought it might be as the latest 2.0 Panther motor will still be under warranty.

I hadn’t heard of the piston problem with the 2.2 Puma motor. I run a Transit van as part of my business and my Mk 7 did just under 100,000 when I traded it in for my current Transit Custom , which has done just over 50,000 to date.

Both had the 2.2 and both were and have been faultless.

Mines a Ford 2.2.

I think, but do not know 100%, that Ford changed the software that is, or should be, installed at the time of a service. Part of this change was to address the over fuelling issue. When my software was updated there was a small but noticeable change in the rate of "pick up" of the engine, the full throttle output seems to be the same.

If the software is not updated, usually because the person/garage doing routine servicing does not have the facilities, then the risk of engine malfunction must be higher.

There are all sorts of "learns" "calibrations" and so on that can be done with software alone. Maybe it is best to keep up to date!

H

Marcol - 2018-03-13 8:24 PM

Thought it might be as the latest 2.0 Panther motor will still be under warranty.

I hadn’t heard of the piston problem with the 2.2 Puma motor. I run a Transit van as part of my business and my Mk 7 did just under 100,000 when I traded it in for my current Transit Custom , which has done just over 50,000 to date.

Some light reading for you...

https://tinyurl.com/ycsdrmls

Derek Uzzell - 2018-03-14 8:19 AM

Marcol - 2018-03-13 8:24 PM

Some light reading for you...

https://tinyurl.com/ycsdrmls

That was back in 2016. I thought this was a recent thing because of the forum post.

*-)

Injector-related problems with the 2.2litre motor used in Transit and other makes were being mentioned well before 2016.

In 2014, when I was toying with the idea of buying a Globecar (available outside the UK on a Fiat or Citroen base) I said to a French Globecar salesman that the Citroen version attracted me because it’s Ford-derived 2.2litre powerplant had a timing-chain. He replied “There have been reports of injector problems with that motor resulting in piston damage”.

The ‘over fuelling’ problem is referred to here

https://engineengineering.co.uk/start/reconditioned-engines-rebuilt:298/ford-reconditioned-engines:330/ford-duratorq-22l-tdci:1053/

To my mind and I know that manufacturers are being forced in to this. The engines are too complicated. You’ve got AdBlue this and EGR that , DPF’s and on and on.

I know we’ve come a long way in terms of reliability and efficiency but does anyone else think we might have gone just that bit too far. The amount of recalls on all different manufacturers must be saying something about all the emission related problems with Diesels

More manufacturers need to invest in hybrid technology. I drive a plug-in hybrid car and it’s a revelation in terms of emissions and fuel economy. How far are we away from a plug-in hybrid motorhome?

Archived