Free standuing solar panel

aandy

As I don't often stay in the same place for more than a few days, and when I do it is on a site with the option of EHU, I rarely have a problem keeping the habitation batteries charged. Once or twice a year, however, I do stop for a week where EHU is not available and am thinking of buying a free standing solar panel for those occasions. As my battery box protrudes down through the floor of the van it would be easy to fit an external socket to which I could then connect the leads from the panel, obviating the need to feed them through a window. Is it that simple, or will connecting direct to the battery pose a risk to the PSU or onboard charger?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but my knowledge of electrics is limited and my knowledge of electronics non-existent.

If your MH has a Schaudt Electroblok (or equivalent) which monitors and displays the remaining battery charge, then connecting a panel directly to the leisure battery would bypass this monitoring and lead to a false reading, but that's not a real problem.

If you choose a solar panel with a substantial then (eg 100 watts)  if it doesn't have a built-in regulator, in sunny weather you might easily end up overcharging your battery and damaging it - so you might need to add a regulator into you circuit.

In principle however using a folding portable solar panel should meet your needs very well.

Yes it is that easy.

Suggest you choose your Panel carefully though as those that tend to have a built in regulator are poor as the best place for a regulator is at the battery, not mounted on the panel.

The best Standalone Solar Panels will have a quality separate Charge regulator you can mount in the battery box, the worst will have one built in to the panel.

The power generated by a quality panel and a poor one can be as much as 50% different.

Thanks chaps. The PSU is a Sargent 400, but I guess that makes no difference. I had read the other thread about proximity of the regulator to the battery and my only remaining concern was whether I had to do anything to prevent damage to the 'van's electrics when connecting direct to the battery, which you have confirmed I do not. I take the point about charging efficiency but as it will only be used once or twice a year and always in the summer, and as the batteries pretty much manage a week already, I don't need to go for maximum output so will probably opt for the cheaper one (around £150) with the regulator built in. Any more than that and it would probably be cheaper to let the batteries run down further than they should and replace them more frequently.

I've had a portable for years simply to provide a top-up if we're off grid for any amount of time.

It was originally used quite successfully with the (very) cheap regulator attached to the back of the panel, but that has now been removed and it is fed into a Schaudt regulator on my electroblock.

As originally supplied, it came with battery leads terminating in a DIN (Hella) socket, and the leads from the panel terminating in a matching DIN plug. I have retained that connecting arrangement as it is quite "positive".

One thing I would suggest, however, is that you try to keep the socket internal to the 'van, in the dry and away from crud. I've found it easy when required to run the panel leads through locker door seals to a plug point just inside, and currently, the socket on this 'van is mounted on the outer side of the passenger door plinth, and the leads happily feed in through the bottom of the cab door seal.

Are free standing panels a lot cheaper than fixed ones?We had a fixed one fitted to our MH and it is brilliant.It is a flexible one that seems to stick to the roof.I have always worried about the problems of having a free standing one.Having to move it to follow the sunSecurity Constantly having to put it out and back in. Like an odd game of hokey cokey.
Andy

Andy&Lou - 2017-07-31 10:36 AM

I have always worried about the problems of having a free standing one.

Having to move it to follow the sun

Well you don't have to, you can simply leave it facing up in the air like most fixed ones. ;-) Pointing a solar panel directly at the sun, however, has a significant effect on the current it supplies - I find that an advantage of a portable panel. (As is the ability to park in shade, but have the panel in sun)

Security

Mine is simply locked via a security cable to the 'van, Haven't lost it in 10 years or so of ownership.

Constantly having to put it out and back in. Like an odd game of hokey cokey.

Once per stopover, and it isn't used if we are staying only a couple of nights, as the batteries don't need the extra charge.

I don't always carry ours; only when there is a chance we may want to be stationary and off-grid for some days. It has seen us through 10+ years of use, and three 'vans.

• 3 weeks later...

I only just found this thread and it's very sensible approach to solar panel use. My panel,is only 80 watts but pointed at the sun rather than up above this 80 watt panel works very well particulynif I keep moving it.

I have also used a wind turbine though only when I'm parked in a coast area or other in the clear situations, a small wind turbine makes very little noise and can work all night together with working on cloudy days.

Wind turbines don't work without wind and solar panels work poorly if they can't see the sun, trust me, I did the tests though I can't remember the results.

Archived