French Beds

Tinlizzie

OK. We are just back from out holiday and our Hymer T574 was great. We love it - with one little exception.

It has a French bed.

We are both at an age when a trip to the loo in the middle of the night is the norm - especially after a glass or two of lovely French wine.

So - have any of you wise people got any hints, tips modifications or inventions that would help the wall sleeper to clamber over their partner?

We had a Benimar with a French bed from 2002 till 2008, before that a Compass with single side beds. We used the single quilts from the Compass on the French bed so the bed covers opened in the middle; great solution to your problem! Wall sleeper just gets out from under the covers in the middle of the bed. Worked for us for six years until we moved on to a king sized island bed. Sound sleeping and no midnight clambers!

Chas

There's no denying the handy underbed storage of this layout, but come on guys, trying to turn the obvious design failings of a narrow pointy end bed where one of you is jammed against a wall and t'other is hanging off the missing bit of mattress into a positive is about as convincing as the Brexit yes and no spin merchants have been!

Twin singles pulled close together to make 'em wide and comfortable might take a minute or two more to make and unmake but as we prefer to sleep through each other's nocturnal perambulations with space to turn with no clambering works a lot better for us.

We have a French bed, also need to get out during the night, we have no problems, as for the narrow end of the bed I am 5.10ft and sleep on the short side no probs how many people sleep stretched out. One big advantage with the bed is that the water heater etc is under so nice an cosy in the depths of winter.

Tracker - 2016-06-23 7:53 PM

There's no denying the handy underbed storage of this layout, but come on guys, trying to turn the obvious design failings of a narrow pointy end bed where one of you is jammed against a wall and t'other is hanging off the missing bit of mattress into a positive is about as convincing as the Brexit yes and no spin merchants have been!

Twin singles pulled close together to make 'em wide and comfortable might take a minute or two more to make and unmake but as we prefer to sleep through each other's nocturnal perambulations with space to turn with no clambering works a lot better for us.

As this, for us getting the sleeping arrangements right was a big priority, getting up refreshed after a good nights sleep is a good start to day.

Petra - 2016-06-27 3:46 PM

We have a French bed and neither of us have to sleep against the wall as our Labrador does!

Very handy to keep you warm away from wall! BUt the question really is about getting up at night, to use the loo. Maybe you are not at that stage yet? Singles for us ,

PJay

Had a number of caravans, and motorhomes with side mounted double beds, Had the same trouble, plus having a window, and outside locker under the bed on one side made it quite cold.

Solved the problem on our present m/home. Island bed with a walk way both sides.

Warmer, no adjacent window, and the duvet does not get thrown off, on a midnight trip.

Rgds

Never tried a French Bed; they just don't look appealing to me, primarily because of the disruption of the night time toilet trip - my wife is a light sleeper and reckons she can't get back to sleep if I'm snoring.

We had a transverse rear double in our last MH and it was great; a full size 4'6" mattress and so plenty of room for both of us and for several years we were very happy bunnies.  But once we started needing a pee in the night there always seemed to be the need for a gymnastic episode, of a sort which neither of us enjoyed - so we switched to a MH with twin singles at the back.  Bliss, we could both sleep well again.

And what's more we quickly discovered that only one of us actually needed night time relief, so in the absence of the disruptive gymnastics, one of us was undisturbed throughout the night and might not even be woken up at all.  We had spent a lot of money solving a non-problem and could simply have swapped sides in the transverse double instead.

Being able to last the night didn't last for ever but as we both matured into needing one or more nocturnal excursions, at least we were free to do so independently.

But French Beds? No thank you.

We have it down to a fine art now :-D when he feels me move he draws his knees up , I shuffle down to the

bottom and crawl out , when I get back I just crawl along the bottom then collapse back down (lol) the only

problem is if the youngest dog jumps up when she hears me get up and sneaks in !! but even she know how to avoid getting squashed now.

When it gets too much for me I fully intend to start taking the cushion fillers for the small front bed and sleep separately . ;-)

Archived