French emissions sticker

DonB

keninpalamos - 2017-03-23 7:16 PM

Just another fad like the breathalyser. Has anyone been tested with a breathalyser you have to carry in France. My French pals and ex pats in France say nobody bothers and don't know anyone who's been tested driving a camper

Although a ‘need-to-carry-a-breathalyser-in-your-vehicle’ law remains on the French statute book, the 11€ fine that was originally proposed for failing to do this was put on indefinite hold. This is explained at length here:

http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/france-breathalyzer-law/

The ‘clean-air’ schemes are another matter altogether - they have French governmental approval, have been in place now for some while and have sharp teeth (ie. large fines for non-compliance). The French breathalyser law was an interesting (but flawed) experiment and seems unlikely to be resurrected: the French clean-air schemes are here to stay and (as has already been suggested on this forum) are likely to be extended to other French cities that have vehicle-related air-pollution problems.

Slightly off-topic, but this 2015 article may be of interest to people driving in France this year

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Practical/Transport/Post-fines-for-UK-speeders-in-France

The latest issue (April 2017) of the Caravan and Motorhome Club Magazine has on Page 53 a paragraph headed “Speeding in France”. This warns that the ‘fines by post for British-registered drivers’ scheme mentioned in the 2015 article will become operational from 6 May 2017.

Very interesting and thank you for the information Derek. I think my remarks come out of pure frustration of the amount of controls and limitations put on us today. It's seems democracy is loosing its way the world over and governments and local councils are using sledge hammers to crack walnuts.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-24 8:07 AM

The latest issue (April 2017) of the Caravan and Motorhome Club Magazine has on Page 53 a paragraph headed “Speeding in France”. This warns that the ‘fines by post for British-registered drivers’ scheme mentioned in the 2015 article will become operational from 6 May 2017.

Rather worryingly the article says that they will seek to prosecute for speeds just 1 kph over the limit. You have been warned :-(

• 2 weeks later...
spospe - 2017-03-24 5:11 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-24 8:07 AM

Rather worryingly the article says that they will seek to prosecute for speeds just 1 kph over the limit. You have been warned :-(

I really cannot see how it is possible to actually drive a vehicle and stay within 1kph at all times...even though I use the SatNav readout - which is far easier to see and more accurate than the usual 'old style' speedo, unless you watch that 100% of the time and ignore the actual traffic and road you are on, then I don't see its possible to keep that accurate - even trying my hardest especially with the 30kph areas, it can vary by as much as 5kph without actually your being aware of it...

Apart from all this, the standard speedo mare not that accurate, and to the best of my knowledge have a 10% margin built in!?

A speedo does not have a margin built in but they do need to be within 10% accuracy at 70mph (from memory)

In the UK, Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) GUIDELINES are that prosecutions should not usually occur unless the speeding is 10% +2 mph over the limit so 35 at 30, 46 at 40 etc. These have always seemed very sensible guidelines to me to avoid the ludicrous situation of being prosecuted for doing 31 in a 30, the thickness of a speedo needle difference.

1 Kph variation is impossible to maintain and it is highly likely that similar common sense would prevail

Mick Bajcar

The UK guidelines seem logical and pragmatically used. I just hope our friends in France do follow a similar logic....arguing in Uk in English is one thing, but trying to do the same abroad is pretty useless unless you are fluent in that language!!,

Archived