Fuel Shortages in France

AlanS

I read about this on another MH Forum and thought it may be of interest to those who are about to set off for France. Yes, the peasants are revolting again and Northern France seems to be the problem area at the moment. Keep an eye out for further info and make sure you have a full tank before you catch the ferry or tunnel in the short term.

We are off at the end of the week and hope matters are resolved by then, if not a trip via Belgium and Germany might be in the offing.

http://www.connexionfrance.com/France-normandy-le-havre-fuel-shortage-service-stations-dry-petrol-diesel-18072-view-article.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-politics-protests-oil-idUSKCN0YC0L1

Alan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the ' heads -up ' on this, folks

Very much under reported by the media.

Has anyone recently in France - or there now - had any trouble getting fuel in places ( other than Brittany ) ?

I'm thinking of nipping over there soon - but I would like to know if I will be able to drive back home again.

;-)

Hi

Thanks for the info, will keep looking at the forum as we travel to France on Wednesday for 5 weeks starting in Brittany (St Valery sur Somme )

Any idea price of Diesel at present in France, will probably fill up in Dover if a problem...

Guest pelmetman

Strikes in France??? 8-) .........

It must be a Tuesday :D .......

Caddies104 - 2016-05-22 5:54 PM

Hi

Thanks for the info, will keep looking at the forum as we travel to France on Wednesday for 5 weeks starting in Brittany (St Valery sur Somme )

Any idea price of Diesel at present in France, will probably fill up in Dover if a problem...

Reading other Forums the Brittany Region along with Normandy has been disrupted at present but as today is Sunday not too much information as many places such as supermarkets are closed of course. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

We have friends who arrive near Rouen today so we should hopefully find out from them tomorrow what it is like.

Were you aware that a General Strike is planned for 26 May and 14 June in France ?. The French Minister has appealed to the unions not to disrupt the start of Euro 2016 - now that is some ask isn't it.

Alan

Caddies104 - 2016-05-22 5:54 PM

Hi

Fuel prices in France can be found here

http://www.zagaz.com/index.php

http://www.zagaz.com/prix-carburant.php?departement=80

The data can be ‘ordered’ using the “Station”, "Relevé le” and (for gasole) “Gas” arrows.

According to a BBC website yesterday - 1 in 20 petrol stations in France were out of fuel.

Protesters have been blocking deliveries from at least half of French refineries.

Trouble is it seems to be a rather ' open ended ' dispute without any obvious limit to how long it will go on.

( Might have to go to Scotland instead )

;-)

I'm heading from Normandy South into the Loire Valley.  Most supermarkets seem to be out of fuel, especially gazelle, and long queues form if they get any.  Fuel available on trunk routes but I was restricted to 40 euros worth this morning, so it makes sense to try to keep the tank at least half full.  Big queues on a motorway service area.

StuartO - 2016-05-23 1:44 PM

I'm heading from Normandy South into the Loire Valley.  Most supermarkets seem to be out of fuel, especially gazelle, and long queues form if they get any.  Fuel available on trunk routes but I was restricted to 40 euros worth this morning, so it makes sense to try to keep the tank at least half full.  Big queues on a motorway service area.

Thanks for the info ---

--- and good luck !

;-)

Archiesgrandad - 2016-05-23 11:42 PM

No sign of any such problems here in the Lot Valley.

So the Lot has got a lot but how do we get down to the Lot if everyone else hasn't got a lot - if any !

We are off at the end of the week but will stay local to Normandy for a while until we see how it all pans out. The problem maybe though that those already out in France may be just sit tight on the sites and Aires that are there meaning that it may be difficult to get a pitch ?

Alan

Another thread on same subject has been started by 'tonyg3nwl ' down in sunny Agde.

Fuel situation not looking good down there by the sounds of it.

His advice " avoid France " - a bit difficult if you are already booked.

I've been lucky as I was planning to book a crossing in the next couple of weeks - will now have to plan on something else unfortunately.

:-(

Hi folks, just discovered this thread.

quick update, site reception has reported a significant number of cancellations because of fuel shortages. Normally site is full by now, so guess travellers are hesitant because of fuel dispute.

dont forget to vote the right way when the day comes!

Tonyg3nwl.

Avoiding France altogether just because there are fuel shortages, especially locally, is probably unnecessary if you were planing to come here. There does seem to be fuel on the autoroutes and on our non-autoroute journey from the Normandy coast (Fecamp) to Chateaudun (South of Chartres on the N10) we did see several supermarkets along the route selling fuel, even though there were queues.  The Dieppe area was dry the day before apart from a delivery to Auchan, which we joined and were allowed to fill up.  We refueled again on the N10 a few miles N of Dreux, where we got to the pump after a short queue but were allowed only 40€, which as it happened was more than enough to fill up again.

As long as you think ahead and refuel every chance you get when dropping towards a half full tank, you should be able to make continuing progress and without too much delay.  And you are in a MH so if the worst comes to the worst you just pull over to wait for fuel and get the wine out! The local Le Clerc and Intermarche supermarkets in this locality appear to be selling fuel continuously and without long queues during the past 24 hours, so we could have refilled again on arrival if necessary.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!  (But do take a gallon can of standby fuel and keep it full!)

StuartO - 2016-05-24 6:05 PMAvoiding France altogether just because there are fuel shortages, especially locally, is probably unnecessary if you were planing to come here. There does seem to be fuel on the autoroutes and on our non-autoroute journey from the Normandy coast (Fecamp) to Chateaudun (South of Chartres on the N10) we did see several supermarkets along the route selling fuel, even though there were queues.  The Dieppe area was dry the day before apart from a delivery to Auchan, which we joined and were allowed to fill up.  We refueled again on the N10 a few miles N of Dreux, where we got to the pump after a short queue but were allowed only 40€, which as it happened was more than enough to fill up again.

As long as you think ahead and refuel every chance you get when dropping towards a half full tank,

Well, according to the news I've seen on the internet and TV it's not just a " local " problem, with 7 out of 8 French refineries blockaded - and is unlikely to improve any time soon.Certainly not my idea of a relaxing touring holiday. ;-)

StuartO - 2016-05-24 6:05 PMAvoiding France altogether just because there are fuel shortages, especially locally, is probably unnecessary if you were planing to come here. There does seem to be fuel on the autoroutes and on our non-autoroute journey from the Normandy coast (Fecamp) to Chateaudun (South of Chartres on the N10) we did see several supermarkets along the route selling fuel, even though there were queues.  The Dieppe area was dry the day before apart from a delivery to Auchan, which we joined and were allowed to fill up.  We refueled again on the N10 a few miles N of Dreux, where we got to the pump after a short queue but were allowed only 40€, which as it happened was more than enough to fill up again.

As long as you think ahead and refuel every chance you get when dropping towards a half full tank, you should be able to make continuing progress and without too much delay.  And you are in a MH so if the worst comes to the worst you just pull over to wait for fuel and get the wine out! The local Le Clerc and Intermarche supermarkets in this locality appear to be selling fuel continuously and without long queues during the past 24 hours, so we could have refilled again on arrival if necessary.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!  (But do take a gallon can of standby fuel and keep it full!)

I understand the difficulty, but this action simply exacerbates the problem. Most vehicle tanks are on average probably less than half full. Keeping tanks filled up with panic buying simply moves the fuel from the filling station tanks into the vehicle tanks and bingo there a shortage, and carrying a separate can full of fuel makes it even worst! Simples.

starvin marvin - 2016-05-24 9:28 PM

I understand the difficulty, but this action simply exacerbates the problem. Most vehicle tanks are on average probably less than half full. Keeping tanks filled up with panic buying simply moves the fuel from the filling station tanks into the vehicle tanks and bingo there a shortage, and carrying a separate can full of fuel makes it even worst! Simples.

Perhaps you are missing the point of my suggestion.  I'm referring to a motorhome which is touring or in transit in France and therefore needs to plan to keep moving, rather than an ordinary, local vehicle. 

There will be a hoarding tendency among some locals when a fuel shortage arises and, preach how you like, quite a few locals, perhaps the majority in a shortage area, will take an early opportunity to get topped up and will try to stay topped up, that's human nature.  By all means advocate the less selfish approach to them if you wish but I fear it will fall mostly as water off a duck's back.

But if you are in a motorhome in France and you want to be able to keep moving day by day rather than tucking yourself away on a campsite until the shortage ends, using most of a full tank each day of running if you are in transit, fuel supplies are unpredictable at the momment and waiting until you are nearly out of fuel before looking for replenishment is a bit risky.  You need to keep at least half full, in order to be able to go for another 100-200 miles to be confident of getting fuel somewhere, so you need some fuel up your sleeve.

For those who feel the need to practise the best way of keeping fuel available to everyone in a shortage area, by all means take the risk of running dry before you take the selfish step of looking for replenishment fuel supplies. You are of course relatively well equiped in a motorhome for pulling over when you run out and camping by the side of the road until some friendly and generous local offers you some fuel from his personal reserves. "Monsieur," you would say, "j'ai besoin de gazole, puis-je prendre un peu de votre reservoir?" to which I fear he might reply "Non, vous etes un imbecile!"

Archived