Gas on or off?

ColinM50

Do you turn yours off when you're driving?

We always did with the caravan as the gas locker was opened anyway to pack junk away so it was sort of there and easy, but must admit since having a motorhome I never do. Not even on ferries. It just never crosses my mind to switch it off.

So what do you do?

Don't know how to do a poll, but it'd be interesting if someone who knows how to set one up, could do so.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a Truma crash safe system, cylinders are turned off when vans not in use and when on ferries, when vans in use cylinders are left on.

When we first had the van didn't have the crash safe, second trip stopped and want a cup of tea, had to open rear doors and cupboard in appalling weather to turn on gas, on getting home ordered the crash safe.

ColinM50 - 2017-12-11 7:18 PM

Do you turn yours off when you're driving?

We always did with the caravan as the gas locker was opened anyway to pack junk away so it was sort of there and easy, but must admit since having a motorhome I never do. Not even on ferries. It just never crosses my mind to switch it off.

So what do you do?

Don't know how to do a poll, but it'd be interesting if someone who knows how to set one up, could do so.

It’s easy enough to set up a poll on this forum, but certain assumptions can reasonably be made without doing this.

1: Ex-caravanners owning a motorhome that has gas bottles and a ‘non-smart’ fridge may well turn the bottles off before travelling.

2: Motorhome owners who have never caravanned and have a vehicle with a fixed LPG tank, and/or ‘smart’ fridge and/or use the gas-heater en route are much more likely to not turn off the gas-supply before travelling.

3: Unless the motorhome has a fixed LPG tank, most owners will probably choose to turn off the gas 'at source' before embarking on a ferry or using Eurotunnel.

My Rapido has gas bottles and I always turn them off before embarking on a ferry, turning them back on immediately prior to disembarking. Otherwise the bottles (usually) stay switched on when the motorhome is in use.

Some earlier related forum discussions (in ascending date order)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Turn-Your-Gas-Off-/4753/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Do-You-Turn-Your-Gas-Bottle-Off/3945/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gas-bottle-on-or-off-when-travelling/14254/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Driving-with-the-gas-on/37348/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Remote-gas-shutoff-anyone-/46078/

colin - 2017-12-11 7:35 PM

We have a Truma crash safe system, cylinders are turned off when vans not in use and when on ferries, when vans in use cylinders are left on.

When we first had the van didn't have the crash safe, second trip stopped and want a cup of tea, had to open rear doors and cupboard in appalling weather to turn on gas, on getting home ordered the crash safe.

I always carry a flask of hot water, when traveling , saves putting gas on, and as I would have to lift glass lid for cooker,let it get cold again, to much hassle!

Always turn gas OFF. You have to in the tunnel, they checked ours

PJay

In a motorhome, I've always left the gas on (apart from ferries or the tunnel), with or without 'secumotion'.

The Secumotion thing is only a protection in the event of a smash, so does not make it any safer in 'normal' use.

The beauty of a motorhome, particularly over a caravan, is the ability to stop and have refreshment without going outside (Sod ensures that it's dark, raining, or both) so I don't want to spoil that by turning the gas off.

I this weather, the gas heating is full on to keep the tab area warm, otherwise it's keeping the water hot.

We never turned our gas off when on the road, but always did for ferries, tunnel, and when not in use.

We too carried a flask of pre boiled hot water for many years in the early days but gave that up in recent years as a bit pointless.

We found that by the time the kettle has boiled, you've drunk your drink and cleared up, the cooker is cool enough to safely shut the glass cover!

There is something to be said for keeping a flask of hot water overnight when it's freezing outside - if nothing else you can use it to wash or have a warm drink and if you freeze up that becomes quite important in the cold light of day!

The requirement to turn off gas when on a ferry of shuttle is written in to the various operators' standard conditions of carriage. AFAIK, they all, including outside the UK, include that requirement somewhere. Those conditions become part of the contract with the operator when the ticket is bought, so failing to comply with them is, in effect, a breach of the contract by the ticket holder. Most make an inspection to ensure this condition is met by their passengers.

Outside the UK, in much of continental Europe, there is a legal requirement to turn off gas at the cylinder when driving. The exception is when the vehicle is equipped with a "crash protection" system at the cylinder end of the high pressure pigtail.

This reflects the fact that most such pigtails are basically rubber, so easily ruptured in an accident, and that a ruptured gas pigtail will allow the full contents of the cylinder to escape uncontrolled. All that is then required is a source of ignition which, following an accident, is unlikely to be far away. Once the fire starts, there is the secondary risk that any other gas cylinder carried will itself burst as the gas inside expands in the heat.

So, if you don't get barbecued first, you are also liable to get blown up! If you know you'll never be involved in an accident while driving your van, leave you gas cocks open wherever you go. If you're less certain, shut them off unless your van has a crash protection system in its gas installation.

I run with the gas on when driving but I have a Secumotion regulator and Ant-Rupture hoses I would never do it without those. Not so much a problem driving but if you are in an accident it's just dammed selfish putting other road users and the emergency services in danger.

Fine if you have the proper safety equipment installed otherwise DON'T DO IT.

As for ferries, it is against Maritime laws to leave the gas on so why would you do it.

And if you have an AES fridge it will run on gas so a naked flame on a car deck with petrol fumes, a good way of sinking a ferry, anyone who does it IMO opinion should be banned from ferries for life.

It all depends on your attitude towards and your perception of risk?

Lie is dangerous and maybe it would be better to stay in bed all day and be safe - then die from inactivity!

The gas bottles should be secure, strapped in a very compact locker, and can't go anywhere so unless one has a very severe side impact crash I do not see that there is any real risk of gas leak in the event of a collision.

In the old days when we had the regulators on the gas bottles we used to have only low pressure rubber gas pipes, although many people used tubing that was well out of date and was or could have been porous in use as well as flimsy, perished and easy to fracture, but since that was 'improved' to high pressure gas pipes, while still having a limited quoted life, they should at least be less inclined to fracture - or maybe the risk of a large gas escape is greater? Personally I would rather have stayed with the regulator on the gas bottle and fit heavy duty pigtails - but what do I know?

lennyhb - 2017-12-12 11:35 AM

I run with the gas on when driving but I have a Secumotion regulator and Ant-Rupture hoses I would never do it without those. Not so much a problem driving but if you are in an accident it's just dammed selfish putting other road users and the emergency services in danger.

Fine if you have the proper safety equipment installed otherwise DON'T DO IT.

As for ferries, it is against Maritime laws to leave the gas on so why would you do it.

And if you have an AES fridge it will run on gas so a naked flame on a car deck with petrol fumes, a good way of sinking a ferry, anyone who does it IMO opinion should be banned from ferries for life.

Lennie there are no fumes on a car ferry deck, well not the cross Chanel ones. They are scoured clean when ferry is on the move.

rupert123 - 2017-12-12 12:13 PM

Lennie there are no fumes on a car ferry deck, well not the cross Chanel ones. They are scoured clean when ferry is on the move.

Running the ferry out to sea with the bow and stern doors open soon clears any fumes, but when the ferry docks and several hundred impatient or ignorant drivers all start their engines far too soon it can get a bit smelly!

Tracker - 2017-12-12 12:05 PM..........................The gas bottles should be secure, strapped in a very compact locker, and can't go anywhere so unless one has a very severe side impact crash I do not see that there is any real risk of gas leak in the event of a collision.................

Rich, the HP hose from cylinder is, basically, rubber. Motorhomes are fragile. Most gas lockers are, for obvious reasons, sited against a side, or rear, wall. Should an HGV fail to stop at a hold up, and use a motorhome as bump stop, it wouldn't need to be a "very severe" side impact crash. A gentle swipe from 40 tonnes, even travelling at walking speed, would be quite sufficient to crush whatever parts of the van it hit. Were that to happen, it is probable that the gas hose/s would be ruptured. Bingo! :-)

It isn't the severity of the risk, or the likely frequency of it happening, that needs to be judged, it is the consequences should it happen. This is a low risk eventuality, with very low probability, but with potentially fatal consequences should it happen, for more people than just the gung-ho van driver. That risk can be completely averted by turning off two valves. Why add needlessly to life's risks when this one can so easily be eliminated. I thought you worked in insurance! :-D

laimeduck - 2017-12-12 1:30 PMUuummm? I thought the practice of leaving ferry doors open was banned after the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster in 1987?

The ban only applies to those who fear sinking their ferry, Jeremy. Those with no fear remain free to sink theirs whenever they overlook the obvious!

Some will leave their gas on in (blissful) ignorance or due to forgetfulness. Others may simply not be *rsed to switch it off.

I see the combined risks to be far too remote to be a real threat, whilst the convenience of leaving it on is a regular benefit.

I will need to see some evidence of catastrophes occurring as a consequence of not turning the gas off before I am likely to change that habit. I may be wrong, but I sense that a large number of motorhomes travel with the gas on, for whatever reason, suggesting that the practice is reasonably safe.

rogher - 2017-12-12 2:51 PM

Some will leave their gas on in (blissful) ignorance or due to forgetfulness. Others may simply not be *rsed to switch it off.

I see the combined risks to be far too remote to be a real threat, whilst the convenience of leaving it on is a regular benefit.

I will need to see some evidence of catastrophes occurring as a consequence of not turning the gas off before I am likely to change that habit. I may be wrong, but I sense that a large number of motorhomes travel with the gas on, for whatever reason, suggesting that the practice is reasonably safe.

Depends what you call "reasonably safe"

many drivers think that a couple of drinks is "reasonably safe" to drive. But in many cases thay are not , and also breaking the law.

We will stick to our principles, and turn gas off

PJay

Unless someone has all the relevant regulator and hose-burst valves etc (which lets face it are pretty cheap nowadays, in the general scheme of things), I would've thought that the obvious course of action would be to turn it off....

Someone being genuinely in ignorance or being forgetful, is one thing but being just plain contrary and bloody minded for the sake of it.....why?...

Is it supposed to add to their rebellious, non-conformist, road-warrior MHer image..? (lol) (lol)

I know our first and third vans had large stickers on the inside of the gas locker door, stating that the cylinders should be turned off before driving off..

But what did Autosleeper and Chausson know anyway.....

Tracker - 2017-12-12 12:29 PM

rupert123 - 2017-12-12 12:13 PM

Running the ferry out to sea with the bow and stern doors open soon clears any fumes, but when the ferry docks and several hundred impatient or ignorant drivers all start their engines far too soon it can get a bit smelly!

Thought I lived in the past Rich but you clearly beat me by a mile.

Archived