Generator/inverter

Barcobird

I have owned a 1kw generator for many years with very little use and still like new. I have tested it with hair dryers, irons, coffee machines etc and everyone overloads it.

Therefore I have several options, ( maybe), ditch it and buy a new bigger one 2kw plus. Expensive!

Buy a 2000w inverter and run it from the Motorhomes 12v supply, which I am reluctant to do for various reasons.

Finally my last option is to run the inverter direct from the generator, so would this be possible (?)

Why do you want a generator anyway?  What role will it serve?

I have had a 2kw generator for quite a few years, which I carried as a back up, to charge my batteries if necessary and to run our microwave when we weren't on mains power.  I almost never used it and it has stayed at home in the garage for at least the last five years, ever since we also ditched the microwave as not worth its considerable weight for the use it got.

Instead I rely on solar panels to charge our batteries when we're off EHU and that's works for us.  We use lights and watch TV and solar panels easily recharge our leisure battery each day.   I also carry a 150 watt portable inverter to recharge my laptop if necessary but that is rarely used too.

Unless your OH simply has to have a mains voltage hair drier or whatever, ven when you are off EHU, I now see generators as obsolete for most motorhomers.

sshortcircuit - 2017-06-24 5:50 PM

You could use appliances with lower wattage, however it could possibly be a faulty MCB as a 1kw generator should run all the devices you specify. Powering an inverter from the generator is not a solution. Suggest you get generator checked.

What's an MCB? Please

StuartO - 2017-06-24 5:55 PMWhy do you want a generator anyway?  What role will it serve?

I have had a 2kw generator for quite a few years, which I carried as a back up, to charge my batteries if necessary and to run our microwave when we weren't on mains power.  I almost never used it and it has stayed at home in the garage for at least the last five years, ever since we also ditched the microwave as not worth its considerable weight for the use it got.

Instead I rely on solar panels to charge our batteries when we're off EHU and that's works for us.  We use lights and watch TV and solar panels easily recharge our leisure battery each day.   I also carry a 150 watt portable inverter to recharge my laptop if necessary but that is rarely used too.

Unless your OH simply has to have a mains voltage hair drier or whatever, ven when you are off EHU, I now see generators as obsolete for most motorhomers.

We always wild camp and very rarely go near a EHU but would like to use the items I mentioned. As I already own the genny I thought it would be put to good use with an inverter instead of messing up the electrics and putting unnecessary loads on the batteries.

Barcobird - 2017-06-24 6:11 PM

sshortcircuit - 2017-06-24 5:50 PM

You could use appliances with lower wattage, however it could possibly be a faulty MCB as a 1kw generator should run all the devices you specify. Powering an inverter from the generator is not a solution. Suggest you get generator checked.

What's an MCB? Please

Miniature Circuit Breaker

I assume that if all those appliances have overloaded the Generator, that they are unlikely to be Motorhome style low wattage units, but probably 'Home' style devices?

If so some of the items, like a Kettle and Iron may actually draw more then 2,000 watts?

Our Kettle is 2,200watts and the Iron has a label stating 2,000 - 2,400 watts.

So a 2,000 watt Inverter or Generator is not likely to be adequate either as both these items, generally, have a peak rating of 2,000 watts. That is they can supply 2,000w of current for a short interval only. The 'continuous' loading they will cope with is likely to be around 1,600 watts.

For a 2,200 watt Kettle or Iron you would probably require a 3,000 watt Inverter or Generator.

Bear in mind that a 3,000 watt Inverter can consume up to 300 amps, so the ideal battery bank for optimum battery life would be around 15 x 100Ah batteries to ensure no more than 20amps is taken out of each battery. Those are Trojan batteries figures, not mine, see the battery bank size calculator on their website. Victron Energy recommend similar ratios of 5 to 1 for their batteries.

If you ran the devices you mention above from the average Invertor powered from a 'compromise' bank of just five x 100Ah batteries, it is likely the batteries would have a life of less than 2 years.

Obviously replacing 5 batteries at a cost of £500 + every two years is quite a running cost which you might want to factor in?

Most good 1,000watt Generators can cope with a continuous 800watts, so the cheapest option might be to equip the Motorhome with 750watt Kettles, Irons, etc and manage with the existing generator?

If you want to spend lots of money you might consider a 'hybrid' system?

Something like a Victron energy 1,600w Inverter/Charger can take it's power from both 230v and 12v to supply devices that may be higher rated than the 230v supply alone. I assume this is what you are thinking of when you say, "run the Inverter from the Generator"?

On these systems you tell the Inverter how much power is available from the mains/Generator source, and any shortfall is taken from the Batteries.

If the shortfall is only, say 600watts you can get away with a smaller battery bank.

The unit installs between the Van 230v EHU socket and the RCD box. If the Inverter detects any loss of 230v it seamlessly switches to providing the power from the 12v batteries. It is so fast at switching over, the Tele won't even flicker.

If you have set the Victron so that it has 800watts available from the 230v EHU (from the Generator in your case) and switch on a 1200watt Kettle, the Victron will draw only 400w from the batteries + 800w from the Generator/mains EHU point..

As soon as the kettle turns off the Victron goes back to running on Generator only and starts using the Generator power to recharge the batteries.

It is also useful if you are on a 3amp only site but have devices that draw up to 5 amps because the Victron will manage the 'overload' without tripping the site Bollard.

Each to their own, we wild camp most of the time, and don't want the noise of a generator use battery's solar panel. I suppose if you are on your own and not disturbing other "wild campers" generator is the answer to power what gas and battery's cant . (Irons, coffee machine in a camper?) that is posh.

stvekay - 2017-06-24 9:24 PM

Each to their own, we wild camp most of the time, and don't want the noise of a generator use battery's solar panel. I suppose if you are on your own and not disturbing other "wild campers" generator is the answer to power what gas and battery's cant . (Irons, coffee machine in a camper?) that is posh.

When you spend most of your time in a Motorhome it should be home from home (lol)

I bet you drink coffee at home and your wife (or you) irons the clothes etc. *-)

aandncaravan - 2017-06-24 9:07 PM

Most good 1,000watt Generators can cope with a continuous 800watts, so the cheapest option might be to equip the Motorhome with 750watt Kettles, Irons, etc and manage with the existing generator?

For none important items such as these I think your suggestion is the best option :-D

Coffee from gas top filter thingemybob. She /me haven't used an Iron in years. Hang clothes wet if there is a crease so be it :$ as I say each to there own, if we were all the same wouldn't it be boring

Enjoy your motor/home from home.

Regards

Steve

If your Generator is a Honda EU10i, I think it has a peak of 1,000watts and a very respectable 'continuous' rating of 900w?

It is also quiet, especially so if you point it's exhaust into a Hedge!! Consider also a 'rain Hood' as they also reduce the noise still further as well as protecting the Generator and keeping it dry.

If you might want to consider a 'hybrid' Victron option at a later date, the more usual unit is the Victron Energy Multi Plus compact C2000 at around £750.

I have a 2kw genny which I use from time to time. About 10 years ago the sender unit for the radiator fan started to play up. I was parked round the back of the restaurant in the Rosalida camp site @ Conil de la frontiera near Gib. Spain it wasn't so hot but the radiator fan was going flat out and I thought it would stop eventually as I rushed to meet friends in the restaurant. 3 hours later when I came out to the 'van the fans were still going.... Just. Result, a flat starter battery. It was the sender unit not switching off. Fortunately it is easy to pull the plug out. I Plugged the genny into the EHU socket and put enough into the battery to start the van after two hours which I spent in the bar so didn't move the van that night anyway. But it did start in the morning. I do carry a microwave and a spin dryer which I use if no one is parked up near me on the odd occasion. It is when generators are used late into the evening that can annoy people. Some just seem oblivious to the irritation it can cause others near by.

keninpalamos - 2017-06-25 4:55 PM

I have a 2kw genny which I use from time to time. About 10 years ago the sender unit for the radiator fan started to play up. I was parked round the back of the restaurant in the Rosalida camp site @ Conil de la frontiera near Gib. Spain it wasn't so hot but the radiator fan was going flat out and I thought it would stop eventually as I rushed to meet friends in the restaurant. 3 hours later when I came out to the 'van the fans were still going.... Just. Result, a flat starter battery. It was the sender unit not switching off. Fortunately it is easy to pull the plug out. I Plugged the genny into the EHU socket and put enough into the battery to start the van after two hours which I spent in the bar so didn't move the van that night anyway. But it did start in the morning. I do carry a microwave and a spin dryer which I use if no one is parked up near me on the odd occasion. It is when generators are used late into the evening that can annoy people. Some just seem oblivious to the irritation it can cause others near by.

You carry a spin drier !? And stvekay thought I was posh for using an iron (lol)

On my last two vans I fitted a built in Telair LPG genny, but only ran it for 37 hours in 5 years but used the van a lot. Now I run a 2 kW inverter off the engine battery ( better suited to heavy discharge ) this will run the microwave for at least 15 mins without effecting being able to start van, anymore power needed just run the engine. Vans engine on tick over not much difference to running genny, lot cheaper!

weldted - 2017-06-30 7:22 AM

On my last two vans I fitted a built in Telair LPG genny, but only ran it for 37 hours in 5 years but used the van a lot. Now I run a 2 kW inverter off the engine battery ( better suited to heavy discharge ) this will run the microwave for at least 15 mins without effecting being able to start van, anymore power needed just run the engine. Vans engine on tick over not much difference to running genny, lot cheaper!

What I have understood from comments to this post is that would reduce the life of your battery considerably!

Archived