German 'camping' law?

Deffheads

Hi, I am very confused, we have been on a Camper Contact site on the river Rhine at Breisach for 2 days and now I've been told by a guy in a fluorescent jacket who was patrolling the site, that I cannot have a bucket under the grey waste outlet, as it contraveins German law???

An English speaking camper informs me he is right, but surely it makes no sense when everybody has tables,chairs, awnings out.This is my belief of 'camping behaviour' I am at loss how this can be right.

P.S I empty the bucket every day before any spillage occurs.,

Deffheads - 2018-06-19 7:31 PM

I empty the bucket every day before any spillage occurs.,

I suspect the issue may well be the practice you mentioned. If a bucket of greywater goes into the foul drain, it shouldn't be an issue. However, if it does into a surface water drain the majority of the time this will end up in a river - not good. Tipped on the ground is unlikely to pollute a watercourse directly, but will nutrient enrich the ground and could end up in a smelly, slippery mess.

Deffheads - 2018-06-19 8:31 PM

Hi, I am very confused, we have been on a Camper Contact site on the river Rhine at Breisach for 2 days and now I've been told by a guy in a fluorescent jacket who was patrolling the site, that I cannot have a bucket under the grey waste outlet, as it contraveins German law???

An English speaking camper informs me he is right, but surely it makes no sense when everybody has tables,chairs, awnings out.This is my belief of 'camping behaviour' I am at loss how this can be right.

P.S I empty the bucket every day before any spillage occurs.,

I've now sorted any probs I've had, just ignore all the rules as most motorhomers do!!

Who the hell is going to read all that!! I was behaving responsibly by collecting my grey waste the disposing in the correct orifice, every day.

I am not going to move my 8.4 metre motorhome just to empty a tiny amount of grey waste, by the the way I fill my fresh water with an Aquaroll and pump to save moving. i suppose I cannot move fresh water from one place to another!!

I suspect from your first post that you had the bucket under an open drain tap, allowing waste water to collect in it all day. Can't you collect your waste water in the onboard tank, open the tap once a day to empty it into the bucket and take the bucket immediately to the waste drainage facility?

Deneb - 2018-06-21 4:07 PM

I suspect from your first post that you had the bucket under an open drain tap, allowing waste water to collect in it all day. Can't you collect your waste water in the onboard tank, open the tap once a day to empty it into the bucket and take the bucket immediately to the waste drainage facility?

I love your thinking, that's almost what I was doing, but I like to keep fresh air circulating during the day with the tap open so it does'nt stink. I'm still confused how a bucket under the van constitutes 'Camping behaviour' whilst having tables ,chairs, awnings and levelling blocks does not!

Maybe from now on I will wear my fluorescent waistcoat and ignore everyone!

Deffheads - 2018-06-21 3:53 PM

Deneb - 2018-06-21 4:07 PM

I love your thinking, that's almost what I was doing, but I like to keep fresh air circulating during the day with the tap open so it does'nt stink. I'm still confused how a bucket under the van constitutes 'Camping behaviour' whilst having tables ,chairs, awnings and levelling blocks does not!

Maybe from now on I will wear my fluorescent waistcoat and ignore everyone!

But you said he said it contravenes German law. I Dont think you mentioned he said anything about camping behaviour. It will be an environmental thing. The Germans are pretty relaxed about tables and chairs but they are obsessed with all things environmental. They are like the ECO Mafia! Its grey water not plutonium but their country, their rules I guess and you cant knock em for doing their bit for the environment really.

Last summer I spent half an hour riding around from village to village while wilding in Bavaria just to try and find a bin to dump a rotting chicken that was starting to stink out the fridge. Could I find a public bin? Nope and I guess it would have been a crime punishable by death to dump it in one of the various wheelie bins outside peoples homes so I ended up stopping at the road edge and chucking it off a cliff into a forest. :D

The signs refer to “Wasserschutzgebiet” - water protection area - it’s nothing to do with camping behaviour or parking, but you have to dispose of grey waste in proper drains. By referring to camping behaviour, I think you’re completely misunderstanding the issue.

Knowing what I know about the German ECO Mafia as soon as I lobbed said chicken into the forest below I expected to be hunted down by Police helicopters, Special forces, the works immediately. I maybe shouldnt have posted about the crime on a public forum. Hopefully we will be out of the EU by the time they read this so they wont be able to extradite me. (lol)

Hi , it is against the law to wash a car in the street in Germany, presumably to avoid polluting the road drainage, but if you use just clean water ,everything you wash off the car has come from the road. Sort that one out.

Regards David

The law, or rather the rule that is being reffered to is that only self-contained vehicles are supposed to stay on most Stellplätze. With putting a bucket under your vehicle, you give the impression that there is no waste water tank.

But its the concentration of the muck that has come off the road all being washed off the car at once thats the problems. If you wash it off onto the road at the same rate that it clung to the car that would be alright.

Many years ago I was involved in the building of a river intake, we wanted to put the leaves that came off the screens back into the river. But no as were taking say half the water out of the river at times if we put the leaves back there would be twice as many leaves in the remaining river water as before the intake. That wasnt allowed and we had to put together a system so we could take the leaves away to a registered dump.

alan k - 2018-06-29 4:57 PM

But its the concentration of the muck that has come off the road all being washed off the car at once thats the problems. If you wash it off onto the road at the same rate that it clung to the car that would be alright.

Agreed, it's the fact that you are putting all the road film and grime into a stream in one big lump that is the problem.

As a aside, the general grime from major roads IS still a problem, with measurably poorer biology in the streams downstream of outfalls from some motorway drainage systems.. As a result, the effluent from many modern motorway drainage systems now goes through some basic treatment in a wetland system before it discharges to local streams.

Thanks for all your comments, I now continue to fill my waste tank and empty when I leave, where allowed.

But my god it stinks, and it's only shower water and basin water not washing up water. Don't you just love parking in a motorhome stop with tarmac or concrete surface, what's wrong with grass?

Archived