Getting passport stamped using the Shuttle

Way2Go

We live in Germany and last week we made a belated trip back to Britain to deliver Christmas presents.

Going over from France the entrance had all changed and we had to go past the coffee shop before we went through the chicane to even register our booking then went straight through to queue up as the entrance (from the roundabout to the coffee shop) was blocked.

Coming back at Folkestone, we showed our passports and residents permits and requested that we did NOT want our passports stamped as we lived in Europe. "That's fine" said the man in the booth "We don't do that here". We then drove a couple of yards to the next window in the building and had to show our passports again. We again requested that our passports were not to be stamped and the lady said the same thing "We don't stamp them here."

Having read (some time ago) that people were up in arms about not being able to spend the winter in Spain etc, I was expecting a showdown at the passport window. Is it only airports that stamp your passports then?

I know our motorhome has German plates but they didn't say we were exempt (assuming they even noticed) they said "we don't do that here."

Also, there was no interior checks entering Britain or re-entering Europe. I appreciate it would take forever to cross if they checked everyone but I saw no signs of any checks at all. The only check they made was to turn off the gas and the usual wipe of the steering wheel in France.

I did notice that the service is now hourly instead of 3 per hour. I hope that is temporary!

We crossed to France on the Shuttle on 14th September, and returned last Thursday week, 4th November. We had our passports stamped both on entry to France and on return to Britain. Before we boarded in France, we and a queue of other travellers had our van thoroughly sniffed by a search dog (French) and then the interior inspected by British Customs. This took quite a long time, we were among the last to board in spite of being there in good time. Unlike WayToGo, we are UK residents with British plates. We are also hoping that the one per hour service is temporary!

Way2Go - 2021-11-12 12:52 PM.......................Coming back at Folkestone, we showed our passports and residents permits ...................................

Hello, and welcome back! :-) Do you still have UK passports, or have you gained German nationality and German passports? As you had to show your German residency I'm assuming the former.

Does your German residency entitle you to travel throughout all Schengen zone without limitation, or does this extend only to specified countries within Schengen?

If the German residency is accepted throughout Schengen, I think this will explain your experience. In effect, I think you will probably have unlimited access throughout Schengen under the residency certificate, and that your UK passport is then relegated to function as a rather bulky ID card. I'm assuming you do not, as a German national would, have to carry a separate German identity card.

DonB - 2021-11-12 3:04 PM

We crossed to France on the Shuttle on 14th September, and returned last Thursday week, 4th November. We had our passports stamped both on entry to France and on return to Britain. Before we boarded in France, we and a queue of other travellers had our van thoroughly sniffed by a search dog (French) and then the interior inspected by British Customs. This took quite a long time, we were among the last to board in spite of being there in good time. Unlike WayToGo, we are UK residents with British plates. We are also hoping that the one per hour service is temporary!

That's very interesting.

We have used the Shuttle pretty much since it opened and have never been stopped and searched or heard of other people being stopped and searched. I had assumed it was like the mythical 'gasing' stories that kept cropping up. But it seems people do actually get searched from time to time?

Thank you for your experience. I guess we've just been lucky.

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-12 4:27 PM

Hello, and welcome back! :-) Do you still have UK passports, or have you gained German nationality and German passports? As you had to show your German residency I'm assuming the former.

Does your German residency entitle you to travel throughout all Schengen zone without limitation, or does this extend only to specified countries within Schengen?

If the German residency is accepted throughout Schengen, I think this will explain your experience. In effect, I think you will probably have unlimited access throughout Schengen under the residency certificate, and that your UK passport is then relegated to function as a rather bulky ID card. I'm assuming you do not, as a German national would, have to carry a separate German identity card.

Hi Brian.

Thank you. Yes we still have UK passports. We didn't go for German citizenship but we obviously did go for residency so we could stay here.

Since COVID we have barely left the house but as far as I'm aware we can travel anywhere throughout Europe without restriction. There are no limitations on the residency cards that I can see and we were never informed of any restrictions on travel.

If we travel 'abroad' we would naturally carry our passports anyway.

John52 - 2021-11-13 6:41 AM

Whats the declarations / checks / penalties regarding having a bit of food in your van when you cross to France please?

like maybe a bottle of milk for your tea

Were you checked?

You can read all about it here

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm#shortcut-4

but I've extracted the two paraghaphs you may be interested in

Rules when travelling from a non-EU country

If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey. Restricted quantities of fish or fish products are also allowed.

Checks when entering the EU

When arriving in the EU you may have to undergo official controls by the authorities. If you are carrying any meat or dairy products, which you have not declared they will be confiscated and destroyed, you may also be fined or face criminal prosecution.

John52 - 2021-11-13 6:41 AM

Whats the declarations / checks / penalties regarding having a bit of food in your van when you cross to France please?

like maybe a bottle of milk for your tea

Were you checked?

Some years ago, I think it was at the time of ' foot and mouth ' in U.K. - we were asked if we had any dairy products or meat.

The very small amount that we had in the fridge was then confiscated - and piled neatly on the kerb, apparently not to be destroyed.

There were no penalties,- but I do think they should have thanked us for the food.

;-)

Archived