Globecar Screw Covers

Robinhood

There isn't much I don't like about my current Globecar, including the general build quality.

But........(there is always a but, isn't there) Globecar (in common with a few other converters) cover the screws in the furniture with self-adhesive, veneer-pattern vinyl covers.

Over time, the combined effects of sun, countersunk holes and less-than-effective adhesive leads to the edges of these covers curling, making the covers rather untidy and very visible.

Pushing them back on doesn't make a lasting difference, and matching replacements through a Globecar dealer are (really) eye-wateringly expensive, and are only likely to be a short-term solution before re-occurence.

Luckily, I've identified an alternative at a rather more attractive price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-Colours-Self-Adhesive-Screw-Cover-Caps-Nail-and-Cam-Covers-High-Quality-14mm-/252286297848

....these are the correct size, and more importantly, though still low-profile (only marginally thicker than the original vinyl) they are 'rigid' PVC, with strong self-adhesive, so won't curl once applied, and don't drop into the countersunk hole.

The "Walnut-New" version is a good, if not exact, match for my wallboard colour, and I initially replaced the worst of the curled "caps". I then decided that the overall effect (despite the very slight difference, and YMMV) was rather better than the original caps, and have thus (at low cost) replaced all of the visible ones.

It might be of interest to other Globecar owners (or indeed, owners of other 'vans where the converter has used the same materials). Care needs to be taken on selecting the correct colour, but it isn't over-expensive to get it wrong with a small order.

Thanks for the link.

Rapido adores the type of circular vinyl screw cover you mention - my 640F model has them everywhere, even in the most inaccessible places where the screws are essentially invisble. Fortunately the adhesive on my Rapido’s covers seems to be pretty good and the edges of the covers haven’t curled (yet). I purchased a few extra covers from the dealer from whom I bought the motorhome and a few more (slightly larger diameter) from a French Rapido dealership and the cost was not earth-shattering, but it’s well worth knowing that inexpensive alternatives are available.

I think the construction method may have changed, IIRC all screws on my van are covered with a plastic cap.

But good find as the caps have a tendency to fall off if knocked, these might make a good replacement, when I get a round tuit I'll have a look.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-04-13 3:39 PM

I have not a clue about what you are talking Just scew caps? Since i intend to buya westfalia van who has vinyl flooring there is extra option protection to the vinyl by linoleum covering. Anyone who had this option? Is this topic about furniture or flooring?

Furniture, Monique. First post, second paragraph.

When I ordered my Rapido 640F in 2014, Rapido were offering a ‘lino’ option. It just comprised pieces of linoleum that matched the appearance of the vinyl flooring and protected the floor's surface from damage. I cannot remember what the price of the option was, but an off-cut of vinyl (or carpet) could easily be cut to size and provide equivalent protection at very little cost.

The Rapido ‘lino’ option comprised shaped pieces of thin linoleum laid on top of the vinyl-surfaced floor and protecting the vinyl surface from damage. So, instead of the more common option of having removable pieces of carpet to protect the vinyl floor, there were removable pieces of lino.

I don’t know if that’s what Westfalia offers, though it sounds like your description of "extra option protection to the vinyl by linoleum covering”.

If in doubt, ask Westfalia.

I have successfully ordered from this seller on eBay a very similar ( but not identical) colour match for our globecar 600L interior wood

The good thing is the sheets are not dear and you can order a sample sheet with one of each to confirm the match before you order a sheet.

Very quick delivery too iirc :)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302402278222 :-D

Archived