Hankook tyres - a few years on

Solomongrundy

I've read a few threads on here about Hankook tyres fitted to 3500kg Motorhomes and there was a long interesting thread back in 2014 about the tyres.

Now, three years on, what did the people who fitted them think about them in the long term, plenty more miles on the clock, and would they recommend or advise against fitting them?

Have they lasted well - tread wear good or bad, noise levels better or worse and fuel consumption improvements or not over other manufacturers tyres?

I've never had Hankooks on a van but have had quite a few on Japanese cars over the years and my unscientific perceptions are that they are a well made tyre that lasts and grips well enough and they do seem resilient to punctures but may be a bit noisier than many contemporaries from other companies, but not so noisy that it is worth taking the risk and cost of changing them.

Any fuel consumption differences would similarly very likey be difficult to quantify in the real world so my inclination now if I were buying would be to go for a combination of the quietest tyre with the best wet grip at a sensible price.

Not what you asked for I know, but it might be of use to someone!

Not on a motorhome but on an Avondale Caravan I had two factory fitted Hankooks. On a tour to Italy (some few years ago) I exited the Gotthard tunnel and parked up in the service area close by. On returning from "comfort break" I noted the van was leaning to one side, closer inspection revealed the nearside tyre was slowly deflating.

With the help of a fellow caravanner we managed to jack the van up and change the tyre for the spare. We found nothing obviously wrong with the tyre though. Travelling on into Italy (cheaper than Switzerland) for new tyre - the depot noted that the steel bracing wires had punctured the tyre wall. Not trusting the other tyre I had that changed as well.

Prior to the journey I had checked the tyres and the van was at the time 3 years old and used frequently. I don't know how old they were when fitted to the van. Were they part of poor batch - again I don't know. What I do know is that I'm very glad it didn't happen in the tunnel! The thought of still it haunts me!

Guest pelmetman

Now on my third set ;-) ........Although I did have a puncture on the way to the ferry last year *-) ......

A bit like the previous poster we stopped for a comfort break and I noticed a lean to one side, tried to pump it up but it started going down again, so called out the breakdown folk who put the spare on.

I had hoped the tyre would be repairable, but the inside of the tyre had a been severely damaged which explained the bang I'd heard the day before when I'd hit something on the road 8-) .........

So in hindsight I actually think the way the damage caused the tyre to deflate slowly rather than disintegrate in a major blowout is indicative of a well made tyre B-) .......

Incidentally I had the tyre replaced asap in France, unfortunately not with a Hankook, and the first time I braked in the rain the new tyre locked up 8-) .......

Currently just over.151,000km in 9 years and we have them on all 5 wheels. In that time we started with them when we bought the MH new, purchased an equivalent to go with the spare. Subsequently purchased 2 more pairs in Greece and Turkey. We also along the way purchased a cheap brand pair.

No issues ...will probably replace the front pair in about another 10,000 km by putting on rear and bringing existing to front. We have traversed some awful roads in Armenia and Georgia but careful driving ....avoid late braking and excessive speed helps tyre life.

Will stick with the devil's we know!! Re noise levels how does one know in practice?

The above is a very good point indeed because a new Hankook tyre is invariably replacing a worn Continental or Michelin and therefore the earlier tyre is not at it's best and a subjective assessment of noise or grip levels is not really possible.

I drive virtually identical vans day after day with new or part worn original tyres and Hankook replacements. I can obviously tell the difference between a new tyre and a worn one but at the same tread depth and between different brands?

Not really.

Avon/Cooper tyres seem to have less grip and are a bit harsher on the road that others but between Hankook and Continental? Not really any difference; and certainly if the balance tipped a tiny bit towards the Conti's; it just is not worth the money.

We had a batch of Hankook RA08's that had some sidewall issues in around 2009 but apart from that they have been brilliant and the RA18's are quite a big step up in quality. I would not buy anything else.

Many thanks for the replies with helpful advice.

When I change shortly I'll almost certainly buy them and, hopefully, report back on them in a few years time.

The noise level is usually published by the manufacturers of most makes of tyre but, as you say, how the heck can we tell the difference between one or the other?

Some roads, for example Motorways in France, you can hardly hear a pin drop when driving along and then again I've been on other roads where you can't hear a thing except the sound of the tyres banging in and out of potholes and ruts.

As long as the tyres last a fair mileage with minimum wear and problems then surely the tyre noise level is not really relevant.

Again, thanks.

Solomongrundy - 2017-10-16 7:26 PM

The noise level is usually published by the manufacturers of most makes of tyre but, as you say, how the heck can we tell the difference between one or the other?

Noise level is measured outside the van from 7.5m a drive by test on a surface aggregate with a size of not more than 8 mm. Unfortunately, this type of surface does not correspond to all types of roads.

Often not relevant to the noise transmitted through the suspension inside the vehicle.

Our last van I change the Conti's for Hankooks after 5000 miles as I needed a higher load rating. I found them noisy and a rough ride until they had done at least 500 miles then they settled down. On balance, the Conti's gave a better quieter ride.

Archived