Help. Emissions in France

sandalwood

Hi,

I reiterate what others have said. Go to the official French government site as indicated by SPOSPE and follow the instructions – it’s straight forward. I scanned my V5 into my laptop and then sent it as an attachment when asked to.

I had a confirmation email the next day. A proof of ordering email arrived a few days later (this can be officially used as a substitute if required until the certificate arrives) with the actual certificate arriving about a week later. The accompanying letter gives instructions for displaying it on your windscreen. From memory the certificate costs about €4.

Cattwg :-D

When applying for a Crit’Air sticker for a UK-registered motorhome and filling in the on-line form, do the following:

1: Irrespective of the motorhome’s weight, always choose the “Private cars” option for the "Vehicle category [Champ J**]” box.

2: Always choose the “No indication of the environmental category” option for the “Indication of the environmental category [Champ V.9**]” box.

3: If the motorhome’s V5C does have a CO2 (g/km) figure in its Field V.7, enter that figure in the "CO2(in g/km) [Champ V.7**]” box. Otherwise leave that box empty.

Upload a copy of the 2nd page of the motorhome’s V5C registration certificate - that’s the page with “UK Registration Certificate” in blue in the top-left corner.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-19 7:27 AM

"1: Irrespective of the motorhome’s weight, always choose the “Private cars” option for the "Vehicle category [Champ J**]” box. "

Having just made application and selecting the option Light Commercial, what difference will it make? None?

It won’t make a difference to the ‘number’ on the sticker you get, nor to the application being successful, but "Private cars" is the correct option for motorhomes and “Light Commercial” is not.

As the application procedure does have elements that have the potential to confuse, if the 3 steps I’ve suggested above are followed this should make an application more straightforward.

sshortcircuit - 2018-07-19 9:55 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-19 9:29 AM

(without frigging arguing about them!!) .

Manners, a simple question is not an argument.

My V5c states "Private/light goods"

Further correction. :-D Your vehicle is a motor caravan, which falls into European Class M1, and is a "Vehicle designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat." It is not a goods vehicle.

Private/light goods is a UK specific taxation class, and is not a definition of the use to which the vehicle is put as defined by the EU.

sshortcircuit - 2018-07-19 9:55 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-19 9:29 AM

(without frigging arguing about them!!) .

Manners, a simple question is not an argument.

My V5c states "Private/light goods"

DVLA Form V355/1 provides advice about Tax Classes

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/605333/v355x1-notes-about-tax-classes.pdf

Class “Private/Light Goods (PLG)" describes the type of vehicle and/or use of vehicles in this class as follows

"Vehicles registered before the 01/03/01: Private motor cars; goods vehicles not more than 3,500kg revenue weight; vehicles used for “private” (non-trade or business) purposes (including 3 wheeled vehicles over 450kg unladen). Vehicles registered on or after 01/03/01: vehicles that do not come into the scope of the first six tax classes, listed below.”

This tax class does not apply specifically to 'privately-owned light goods vehicles’, but to private motor cars and light goods vehicles up to 3500kg MAM (hence the oblique character between “Private” and “Light”) for which no CO2 emissions value can be established.

However, this vehicle registration/taxation system peculiar to the UK is largely irrelevant as far as the French Crit’Air application is concerned and (as I said in my 'Step 1' above) if the “Private cars” option is selected irrespective of the motorhome’s weight, the most advantageous sticker will be awarded.

The “Light commercial vehicles” option on the application form actually reads “Light commercial vehicles(>3.5t)” which does not match the UK “Private/Light Goods (PLG)” tax class that has a weight maximum of 3.5t. (I believe the option on the form should read “Light commercial vehicles not exceeding 3.5t” but that’s also irrelevant.)

Although choosing the “Light commercial vehicles(>3.5t)” option on the form seemingly results in the same sticker ‘number’ being awarded as if the “Private cars” option were chosen instead, I don’t know whether the two different options produce a different QR matrix barcode (printed on the sticker) nor - if there were a difference in the QR barcode - whether this would ever matter. Where the potential trouble comes is if owners of motorhomes UK-registered in the Private/HGV class choose the "Truck (>3.5t), Buses, Coache” option, when a ‘lesser’ sticker will be awarded.

There’s a letter in the August 2018 issue of MMM magazine (Page 17 “Crit’Air - a warning”) that describes the lengths that a UK motorhome owner felt it essential to go to in order to apply for a French emissions sticker. If he had been aware of (and followed) the 3 steps I’ve suggested above he would have saved a lot of time and unnecessary effort.

In France motorhomes are considered to be private cars. They may be ‘light’ (maximum 3500kg MAM) private cars, or ‘heavy’ (exceeding 3500kg MAM) private cars, but essentially that’s how they are treated. Consequently, if a UK motorhome-owning applicant for a Crit’Air sticker just follows the 3 steps I’ve suggested, their application should be simplified, their time should not be wasted, and getting a disadvantageous sticker should be avoided.

The criteria for the awarding of Crit’Air stickers for ‘private cars’ or ‘light utility vehicles’ can be viewed here:

https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Tableau%20de%20classification%20-%20voitures%20particuli%C3%A8res.pdf

https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Tableau%20de%20classification%20-%20utilitaires.pdf

As will be seen, the only significant difference is that a sticker for a ‘private car’ cannot be obtained if the car's date of first-registration is prior to 1 January 1997, whereas a sticker for a ‘light utility vehicle’ cannot be obtained if the vehicle’s date of first-registration is prior to 1 October 1997.

So, if a motorhome has been first-registered in the period 1 January 1997 to 30 September 1997 and the ‘Light commercial vehicles (>3,5t)” option is chosen on the on-line application form, the likelihood is that the application will be refused.

Archived