Help needed with a VW compass Calypso with ZIG Marque 2 control panel

raynaud

Hi a newbiie here

Apologies if this question is too obvious but I want to be sure about something

We have inherited a Volkswagen Compass Calypso on T4 chassis registered in 1999. The battery control panel is a ZiG marque 2 with an X7 charger.

When connected to an electrical post, should the battery switch be center position or pushed down to the Auxiliary position in order to run the 12 volt circuit?

I was led to understand that if the switch is in the center position which should be for charging, then the 12 volt circuit should be active. We should then just have to switch the button for the lights to the on position to enable the roof lights and spotlights.

raynaud - 2017-05-22 11:36 AM

Hi a newbiie here

Apologies if this question is too obvious but I want to be sure about something

We have inherited a Volkswagen Compass Calypso on T4 chassis registered in 1999. The battery control panel is a ZiG marque 2 with an X7 charger.

When connected to an electrical post, should the battery switch be center position or pushed down to the Auxiliary position in order to run the 12 volt circuit?

I was led to understand that if the switch is in the center position which should be for charging, then the 12 volt circuit should be active. We should then just have to switch the button for the lights to the on position to enable the roof lights and spotlights.

Not sure if these links help?

http://www.autosleeper.vwt4camper.info/2001_Autosleeper_Clubman_Owner_s_ManualWM.pdf

http://www.freewebs.com/12voltsdc/zigmanuals.htm

...it's a long time since I had a 'van with Zig electrics, (and the workings will depend on the convertor's wiring) but my recollection is in line with the generic manual here:

http://www.freewebs.com/12voltsdc/Zig%20Control%20Panel%20Manual%20PDF.pdf

...where the centre position isolates all the 12V electrics whether on hook-up or not.

The X7 manual (and particularly the recommended wiring diagram) here reinforces that:

http://www.freewebs.com/12voltsdc/Zig%20X7.pdf

...it indicates that centre is "off", aux is from the leisure battery (which may or may not be simultaneously being charged, depending on whether you are on hook-up), and car is from the vehicle battery (if wired) which will not receive a simultaneous charge.

Note, AFAIR the X7 has its own on-board mains switch to control it.

Robinhood - 2017-05-22 1:19 PM

...Note, AFAIR the X7 has its own on-board mains switch to control it.

A ZIG X-7 battery-charger does indeed have an On/Off switch - it can be seen on the uppermost side of the charger in the attached photo.

It’s also possible to wire a remote LED to an X-7 charger. I did this with my 1996-built Herald Templar motorhome as its X-7 charger was hidden behind a panel in a high-level locker and (when connected to a 230V power-supply) the LED confirmed that the X-7 was actually operating.

I believe the ZIG Marque 2 control panel was essentially a Marque 1 ‘caravan’ panel (partially) relabelled for non-caravan usage. So, instead of the 3-way switch saying Car/Off/Caravan, it says Car/Off/Aux.

Advice from another forum is that, if the motorhome is left unused for a long time, it’s a good idea to put the 3-way switch in its central “Off” position as this eliminates the possibility of anything 12V-electrical that has been accidentally left switched on from draining the batteries.

When the switch is in the “Car” position the motorhome’s starter-battery will provide 12V electrical power to the motorhome’s habitation area. This has the potential to flatten the starter-battery, and the only really persuasive reason for selecting the "Car” switch-position would be if the leisure-battery had become discharged and some light were needed to investigate why this had happened!

Generally then, normally leave the 3-way switch in its “Aux” position; select the “Off” position to isolate 12V equipment in the habitation area; do not select the “Car” position.

Charger.jpg.1a1a026789b6ed679727eaa1908d6cfb.jpg

Archived