Holiday insurance for uk tour

tonyg3nwl

Hi folks,

As we plan to do touring in uk this year , thoughts turn to holiday insurance.

In the past, for holiday cover we have used the likes of Red Pennant from Caravan Club for Continental trip cover, which includes breakdown, medical cover and repatriation assistance should it be needed.

Can anyone point me at similar cover for uk touring, mainland to north Scotland and back for 4 to six weeks.

The van is obviously insured for accidents etc, and we are member of AA, which give breakdown etc assistance, but my concern relates to personal accident and medical requirements, and repatriation of vehicle and partner back to home. What does NHS provide other than AandE cover, if anthing..

What about loss of deposits if appliccable.

Is there an equivalent of Red Pennant ?

Tonyg3nwl

Interesting post. Does your van insurance not cover for getting you home?If one of you where taken ill away, would the other not need to to stay in van? You would be covered by the NHS anyway?

Never thought about taking out cover for trips in Uk, Don't take cover for visiting family 6 hours minimum trip in one case, though in the car.

Will await others thoughts on this one!1

PJay

I must admit I have never considered taking additional or special cover for UK motorhome usage. and would broadly agree that NHS cover is anywhere in UK, and your Motorhome policy should cover you for returning home or being taken home if no licenced driver available. Either the motorhome policy or maybe your Home Insurance policy should cover for contents in the event of a break-in.

One thing which has been on topic here previously is that if your MH is insured for another driver who is travelling with you, then my understanding is that whether of not that person is 'capable' of driving the MH (which could happen in the case of some of the very large ones) then that person is expected to drive the vehicle if required. For this reason I do not have my wife included as a driver on the policy.

For any breakdowns, though depending on what type of AA cover you have, then that I think should cover any such eventuality.

Loss of 'deposits' (by which I assume you would think site booking fees?) would almost certainly be below the excess which you as policy holder would have to bear.

Hope this helps, but will be interested to learn of other contributor's thoughts and especially any experiences?

We Have travel ins for europe, so I suppose that would cover us , while still in!!!

We had an accident some years ago in car, but just hired a car for getting home, and claimed on the insurance

if you feel you need ins to travel in uk, then what happens if you have an accident when (let.s say) just going shopping some distance from home?

i was once a passenger in a car accident , and had to go to a local hospital, for treatment, but was able to go home afterwards.

PJay

You have to check nationwide flex plus account cover.

You get free euro break down cover (great spec my friend broke down last year terminally and they repatriated his vehicle so it works! And paid for 800 towards hire vehicle) you also get free travel insurance for family. The account does cost 10 pounds a month but that's cheap for the benefits you get. You also get other things. I haven't found anything this good for breakdown not even close.

The added bonus is if you transfer it as your main account (where two direct debits come out of every month) and you do it on a friends recommendation then they give you 100 pounds each so you basically pay nothing for ten months of this cover. You could cancel it after your trip and switch back to your regular bank if you wanted but I think nationwide are great.

If you fancy doing the recommend a friend thing just inbox me :) or if anyone else wants to?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexplus/features-and-benefits#tab:sectionFeaturesandampbenefits

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/our-current-accounts/recommend-a-friend-tab

mathgears - 2017-02-25 8:51 AM

You have to check nationwide flex plus account cover.

You get free euro break down cover -tab

Beware with 'Add-ons' for some Bank account or credit card insurances, as the breakdown aspect may not cover 'large' vehicles, and will only be valid for cars.

Also check small print for age restrictions on the general travel side if that is also included. T&Cs vary greatly, so ensure you read the small print carefully. .

I've never considered taking out holiday insurance for holidays in the UK. That's what the NHS is for or so I've always thought. I've always taken out insurance for trips abroad and fortunately we've never had to use it. May go to Ireland this year which would include Southern Ireland so we'll definitely get travel insurance for that trip.

Our car and MH are both insured through Liverpool & Victoria which also provide Roadside Recovery (at an extra premium) through Britannia Rescue. Again never had to use it thankfully. The only problem is you never know how good insurance is until you use it.

With regard to loss of deposits, assuming different sites (if you're touring) could be seen as separate claims, which would mean that each claim would be far less than your excess, meaning a claim would be pointless to recover your deposits. This would be a good reason for joining the "Caravan & Motorhome Club" as all their own sites don't ask for deposits. This would exclude "Affiliated Sites" of course which do ask for deposits at the time of booking. They do ask for a reason for cancelling and if you were cancelling due to ill health I'm sure they would understand. We toured Scotland last year for about five weeks (should have been 8 weeks but weather was atrocious) and every site was a registered CC site and we cancelled and altered sites that had been booked months in advance. Glad we did as most of the sites were full when we arrived.

With regard to Red Pennant, I'd ask C&M Club.

Archived