Holland - Attacked Motorhome!

Mel B

Hi guys

Some of you will be aware that we've been on holiday to Holland, we went on Thursday 22 May, due to return to the UK on Sunday 8 June but unfortunately have had to return home early. The reason for this curtailment of our holiday was that our motorhome was, what can only be described as 'attacked' in the early hours of Sunday morning (1 June).

We were asleep inside our van which was on one of the Dutch motorhome aires in a nice quiet village, along with 6 other motorhomes, we were in one of the allocated bays, the place was nice and clean, no graffiti, rubbish, etc, in a good area, well lit and with no signs of any previous trouble of any sort. We are always careful where we stop, if we're not happy, we move on, as there were 3 other motorhomes there already when we arrived (Dutch ones), we had not reason to believe it wasn't a safe place.

The attack took place at approximately 2.55 am when we were awoken by at least one very loud bang on the van, being asleep it took a few seconds to rouse my thoughts and I then yelled to frighten off whoever it was I assumed was trying to steal the bikes off the back. Then it went silent, we got out of bed quickly and Chris couldn't get the dinette window blind down to see if there was anyone outside, he then went outside and I looked towards the blind and could see that it as a bit funny looking, I managed to get it partly open and realised that both parts of the dinette window (sliding type) had gaping holes in them and a couple of pieces of half-brick were lying in the blind itself. At this point I yelled out to Chris what had been done. There was no sign of the miscreants (I can assure you I really could use much stronger words to describe them but am resisting!). Upon closer inspection we found that they had not only thrown at least 3 pieces of brick through the dinette window (the smaller type that are used for Dutch houses about half the height of ours), but that they had also thrown another one at the passenger door window, missing that and hitting the door about 6 inches below creating a 3 inch dint there plus some more indentation to the panel surrounding this dint. They had also thrown another bit of brick at the toilet window, missing the pane of plastic-glass but hitting the bottom of the frame, cracking it and also put a big gouge, about 4 inches long in the panel just below it, they had also somehow damaged the bumper at the rear, whether by yet another brick missing it's intended target, or by kicking I'm not sure but that's probably why I thought they were nicking the bikes as this would be the noise I heard that came from that end of the camper. There are also a couple of scuffs high up the side of the camper where the brick that was aimed at the toilet window must've ricocheted off. Whether there are any more dints etc I don't know yet as we've only just got home (9.00 pm) and so the light wasn't good enough to give it a good going over, we did try to see more whilst away but not easy when the van was wet most of the time.

The shock set in, as you would imagine, it is not nice being in a strange land and woken sharply early in the morning, never mind when you're under attack. Thank goodness we had used the blind on the dinette window, it stopped the plasti-glass splinters and the bricks not only going straight across to the other side of the camper and hitting the fridge, cooker, cupboards etc, but more importantly stopped them hitting one of our dogs who was fast asleep on one of the dinette seats directly in line with where one of the bricks went through!

We woke the neighbouring campers, a Dutch couple, in their motorhome and asked them to call the police for us - we could've done it ourselves but were concerned in case we didn't get an English speaker, which turned out to be a good thing as the police telephone operator didn't speak English. The police, however, weren't interested. They refused to come out, even though we could hear the 'miscreant's' in the distance. We had to go to them! With a lot of gaffer tape - wonderful stuff - and an old plastic folder we managed to patch the windows and holes so that we were watertight and then at around 3.45 am set off to go to the nearest town, about 18km away, to the police station - thank goodness for Satnav and 'points of interest' which included the police stations.

After waiting a little while, being offered coffee in the interim, we gave our statement to a nice Dutch police officer who spoke good English, we got a copy of the statement and log number for the insurers and were done. By 4.30 am we were wide awake and decided that we'd had enough of Holland so drove on to Oostende in Belgium and to a campsite, getting there for just before noon. The daft thing was that we were going to France on Sunday anyway!

Now before anyone starts saying that 'aires' etc are not safe, let me say this, we had wild 'parked' in Holland (which is permitted so long as you keep everything in your vehicle and don't therefore start setting up BBQs, chairs, etc), we have used the official 'aires' and had also used campsites, and there was never any bother at all, we felt completely safe. What happened doesn't have any logic to it, other than the local youths decided for whatever reason to go and cause some damage, they came armed to do this as there wasn't anyone nearby that they could've got bricks. The only thing we can say for sure is that ours was the only British 'van there, all the others were either German or Dutch. Whether we were picked out for 'special treatment' because we were English, or simply that we were just the unfortunate van in the 'wrong' place I don't know.

What has made this whole thing worse is that we were really looking forward to this holiday, having had a busy time, both at home and at work since Christmas, and really needed a good break (no pun intended at all!). Our pride and joy is now a bit worse for wear, we don't know how long it will take to get it repaired, it's gonna cost us £150 excess, plus the £42 we had to pay to come home this afternoon instead.

I must admit I was at a low ebb yesterday (just for good measure I've also had a cold for a week and feel cr*p anyway) so seriously thought about giving it all up, selling the van and saying sod it, I've had enough. A few years ago our first foray abroad resulted in a fire in our motorhome (faulty gas BBQ fitting), last year we got half drown and serious sunburn, and now this year the van gets attacked! Today I still feel cr*p! But I'm not gonna let the little b*st*rds get the better of us and spoil our pleasures (sorry, bad word slipped in).

For those of you thinking of going to Holland, well, I'm not very impressed with it, quite apart from the above, we found the people on the whole to be quite rude and ignorant - the would quite happily push you out of the way, run into you both on foot and on bikes, they would let doors loose once they had gone through then so they closed in your face, ignore you trying to get their attention for something (in shops etc), etc, etc. I'm sure that not all Dutch people are like this but the general 'ethos' seems to be for them to be quite selfish from our experience. We met a few Germans and French and they were much friendlier. Even without the problem with the van I wouldn't want to go again, it is not a welcoming place, if they seriously want to try to encourage more tourists, which is one of the reasons I assume they are now allowing more motorhome aires etc to be created, they really need to look at the attitudes of their own countrymen first. As for the Dutch couple who we woke for some assistance, the wife got out of the van and had a look at the damage, said a few words in Dutch which seemed to indicate her disbelief of what had happened, she then went back to the van, her husband eventually rang the police for us and they then promptly went back to bed!!! No offer of any other help, making sure we (us and dogs) were okay, whether we needed anything to patch the van up, whether we knew how to get to the police station, nothing. We would've done everything we could to help, as I'm sure you all would, how they could just simply go back to bed especially knowing that we were going to be leaving and their van would be next in the 'firing' line if the little s*ds came back I don't know! I certainly wouldn't have slept if the situation had been reversed! Am I just expecting too much of people? Just because we would do more, is that what you would hope for too????

Well, I'm off to bed now that I've got that out of my system, just needed to let off a bit of steam so hopefully I'll sleep well now without it rattling around in my brain, as things like this tend to do. I'll 'speak' to you all again tomorrow sometime.

Mel B

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel

I'm very sorry indeed to hear of your troubles on your recent journey.

I've worked for a very large national dutch company who make printers, and my experience of dutch people has been the total opposite to what you & your good hubby have recently experienced.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

If you both give up your hobby now, then there is only one winner, and that's those terrible "scroats / hooligans".

Take care & I wish you and your family better times ahead.

Thai

hi mel sorry to read about your misfortune but take a deep breath & dont throw the towel in. i know from my own experience what it is like to be broken into so i can sympathise with your feelings now but dont let these people spoil all the good times you have (lol)

Hi Mel, sorry to hear of your bad experience in Holland, both with the people and this particular incident. I have to say I'm somewhat surprised by yuor experience of Dutch people as mine is completely the opposite, mind you its over twenty years since I've been to Holland and things may well have changed. We're going to Dusseldorf at the end of August and the plan is to go via Holland rather than France, hopefully we won't be repeating your experience.

D.

Mel B,

Sorry to hear of the incident, we have had one attack (foiled breakin at night on aires) in around 10 years of motorcaravanning, and 35 years of caravanning.

It can be scary going out again after an incident, but time heals, and you will soon put your bad experience behind you remembering only the good things.

Regards Terry

Hi Mel,

Sorry to hear about your problems. It's every motorhomers nightmare. 8-)

It sounds like the Sat night celebrations got out of hand.

We've never had problems in the Netherlands but we often just pass through from the ferry at Rotterdam.

You know where we are if we can help.

Regards

Don

handyman - 2008-06-04 8:03 AM

sorry to hear of your problems, most annoying.

would it not have been more secure in a campsite?

Maybe it would, but IMHO they made a pretty fair risk assessment of the Aire.

Mel, I'm sorry to read of your incident, I hope you soon put it behind you and enjoy your van ASAP.

Martyn

Oh Mel, I am so sorry to read about what has happened. I wish I was there to give you a big hug..... you must be really upset and in shock.... I don't think people realise just how these things affect you until it actually happens to them.... you will keep going over and over it in your mind for a while yet....

But please, once the shock has worn off, don't let these idiots continue to make you a victim. You get right out there love and get back onto the road when your van is repaired. Park up and have a glass of wine to celebrate its rebirth and know that we are all thinking of you.

Thankfully you wern't hurt physically and it is so easy to say look on the positive side, but that is one isn't it..... You have gone through my worst nightmare. Mostly I am alone and I have to admit have yet to have a good night's sleep .... one ear listening out all the time for noises.

take deep breaths and thinking of you. Joy

Hi Mel, sounds as though some UK thugs were having a jolly holiday. I am surprised though that it happened in Holland. We three are so sorry for you both but are thankful you weren't hurt yourselves.

Best wishes, Mary et al

Sorry to hear about your traumatic experience.

It sounds to me as if it was just mindless vandalism ( by someone who doesn't like Brits ?), and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

(It's hardly the stealthy approach of robbers).

If that is the case it could have happened just as easily in a supermarket car park as on an aire, so I don't think the fact that you were on an aire, as opposed to a campsite, necessarily made any difference.

It's bound to make you a bit wary for a time but I hope it won't put you off in the long term.

All the best.

empress - 2008-06-04 10:28 AM

Hi Mel, sounds as though some UK thugs were having a jolly holiday.

Come on now - don't let's blame ourselves for everything - our own media are the experts at that; unfortunately there are home-grown thugs everywhere.

But what a truly ghastly experience and doesn't it make you seethe with helpless anger? I must say, Mel, you seem to be handling it very well and I wish you all the best for your future trips.

Doug

hi mel & your companions

what an awful experience for you all ....

we've never been to holland... but after camping in the middle of a large contingent of dutch people on a site in benidorm for a month we can empathise with your opinions.

before anyone says.... not every dutch person is rude, overbearing and inconsiderate...we wholeheartedly agree

but

any negative encounter invariably clouds your perceptions of a country and it's people.

anyway mel....have a couple of long hot bubblebaths( with a glass of wine or 2 ) and a lot of TLC for the next few days

take care

berti & jeani

Oh Mel thats awful but don't let the B**G*RS get to you!!!!

We were burgled at home while we were in bed back in Feb this year and it's awfull, took a bit of time and few sleepless nights, woke up at every bump or creek, but we got over it.

They really dont care about all the upset and work a few minutes of fun for them causes people.

Dont jack it all in because of some brainless idiots, they've won then, anyway who will I pester for advice if you go???

chin up give us ring if you need anything

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey, as long as you two and dogie are unharmed..... :-D

never thought much of Holland, have stopped on a couple of occasions on the way to/from Scandinavia. they are more tight for living space then we are in this country!

on a personal level have always found them very pleasent, but in italy last year there were a few inconsiderate and noisy groups on Lake Garda site *-)

malc d - 2008-06-04 10:50 AM

If that is the case it could have happened just as easily in a supermarket car park as on an aire, so I don't think the fact that you were on an aire, as opposed to a campsite, necessarily made any difference.

are you saying you would be sleeping at a supermarket carpark at 3am?

It could have easily happened in a supermarket carpark...........during the day, when your shopping (if there isnt any height barriers that is)

handyman - 2008-06-04 1:00 PM

malc d - 2008-06-04 10:50 AM

are you saying you would be sleeping at a supermarket carpark at 3am?

It could have easily happened in a supermarket carpark...........during the day, when your shopping (if there isnt any height barriers that is)

No I wasn't talking about sleeping in a supermarket car park, although I have heard of people doing that.

I was just suggesting that it was an attack by vandals, out to damage the van ( not commit a robbery)which could have happened anywhere.

:-|

What a dreadful thing to happen when you were trying to have a restful and peaceful holiday. It makes you wonder what goes through the minds of these people or whether they have minds at all.

We hope that you are soon recovered and hopefully, as the saying goes "get back on that horse" as soon as possible.

We have met quite a number of Dutch people whilst living in France and as with all folk some are Ok some are not.

Mel sorry about your bad experience :-S but thanks for the warning, we intended stopping in Holland on our way to Germany so we will be very carefull where we stop!! you know I think it doesnt matter which country your in you will always find yobs out looking for trouble, Im just glad that you werent hurt! your van will soon be repaired and you will put it down as experience. I always thought that the Dutch liked us as the couple of times we have been to Holland we got that impression but times are changing and not for the better.

Well sorry to hear that Mel. Just goes to show there are Numpties in every country. I doubt very much you were singled out, especially with the Germans on site. Probably wrong place at Wrong time.

I must say though that your comments about the Dutch people really surprise me. I have been to Holland several times and met many Dutch, They are I always believe the most friendliest of all our continental neighbours. They normally quite like the english. However I know they do have problems with the younger generation.

Hope you get your van fixed soon and carry on enjoying yourself/

Archived