House Insurance for long stayers

Tinlizzie

Hi All,

This year, for the first time , we spent two months in gorgeous Calpe. I know lots of you do this sort of thing. Next year we were thinking of going for 3 months, but our house insurance has a "60 consecutive unoccupied days" clause.

They say to break the "consecutive" period someone who is normally resident has to stay there.

How do others get round this. Is there any companies who have a 90 day or longer period?

Lizzie

I suppose you can get insurance for anything if you are prepared to pay a high premium. My insurance company allows for insurance beyond the 60 days whilst away but only for damage by fire. In other words if I was broken into in the 60 to 90 day period then I would not be covered. I have accepted that on the basis that as unpleasant as it would be I would financially recover from that but would not financially recover from the complete loss of my house by fire.

Hi Lizzie,

I have my home and 'van insurance with Comfort, underwritten by Aviva. The home insurance mirrors that for the 'van, in my case 90 days. They will go up to 180 days, reasonable price too.

I think both the major clubs offer something similar.

Roger

Tinlizzie - 2017-04-18 11:19 AM

Hi All,

This year, for the first time , we spent two months in gorgeous Calpe. I know lots of you do this sort of thing. Next year we were thinking of going for 3 months, but our house insurance has a "60 consecutive unoccupied days" clause.

They say to break the "consecutive" period someone who is normally resident has to stay there.

How do others get round this. Is there any companies who have a 90 day or longer period?

Lizzie

Loads of companies do longer periods with conditions. There are also a lot places other than Calpe, 3 nights and we've had enough. Each to their own.

Hi

We have just been through this as we will be away for90 days early next year.

Tried Comfort but too expensive. Eventually the C&C club arranged for 90 days at a lower premium than I was paying the previous year. You have to phone and request as their usual period is 60 days but they will extend up to 90 days with non of this nonsense about someone inspecting the house every week.

That swung it for me.

Peter

Archived