House insurance up to 90 days away.

peterjl

Hi

Having looked at previous threads I suspect I am on a forlorn hope however............

We are planning to be away for 85 days early next year with my renewal date slap bang in the middle. Looking for 90 day cover I have quotes from Cc and CC&C plus Comfort.

The two clubs have an impossible require for a responsible adult to inspect the property inside and out ever 7 days. Not sure how I could arrange this with family a long way away and it would be a big commitment for friends.

Comfort do not have that requirement BUT their premiums are almost exactly double that of the clubs.

I have tried the comparison websites but they only come up with less than 10 quotes all with companies I have never heard of which makes me nervous.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet however I wondered if there are any other companies used by the forum members.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter, we do insure with Comfort - the motorhome, house/contents and travel. They did seem expensive initially but when I added up all three from our previous insurers (all different ones) they came to about the same in total - plus, we were able to get the longer unoccupancy for the house and longer duration away for the travel, both essential for a long winter trip. The final plus was that, with pre-existing conditions, we were having difficulty sourcing a good travel insurance.

David

I've just renewed the house insurance with CCC. Must admit I hadn't seen the 7 day visit by a responsible person when the house is left unoccupied, until you mentioned it.

Anyway, we always leave a spare key with a trusted neighbour and they check the house at least once a week.

I've just rechecked the policy and it has a list of endorsements which includes the 7 day inspection requirement when unoccupied. However, the endorsements are only applicable if they are shown as "Operative Endorsements" on page 1 of the schedule. Page 1 of my schedule doesn't mention the endorsement relating to the "7 day inspection".

So, you should be OK with this policy if you have nobody to visit the property.

Hi everybody.

Thank you for the two replies. You may be interested in an update.

The CC policy includes an endorsement to the policy extending the period before a weekly check is needed to 90 days. This varies the specimens policy booklet they sent me.

For me that is good news.

Regards

Peter

Hi,

I have just this week had my Buildings/Contents renewal offer from the C&CC. The insurance company is Royal & Sun Alliance.

There is a separate statement which defines “unoccupied” : “When your home has not been lived in by your family or anyone who has your permission, for more than 180 days in a row. Lived in means slept in frequently”

The normal unoccupied time is 90 days. The 180 is a special dispensation for C&CC members.

When I first took the insurance out last year I specifically asked the “unoccupied question” In view of your query I shall double check the situation when I renew.

Obviously premiums will vary but our renewal offer is a reasonable £229.88.

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2017-02-13 5:54 PM

Hi,

I have just this week had my Buildings/Contents renewal offer from the C&CC. The insurance company is Royal & Sun Alliance.

There is a separate statement which defines “unoccupied” : “When your home has not been lived in by your family or anyone who has your permission, for more than 180 days in a row. Lived in means slept in frequently”

The normal unoccupied time is 90 days. The 180 is a special dispensation for C&CC members.

When I first took the insurance out last year I specifically asked the “unoccupied question” In view of your query I shall double check the situation when I renew.

Obviously premiums will vary but our renewal offer is a reasonable £229.88.

Plus, of course you have to pay the membership fee to the C&CC.

Hi cat two

You may well be correct. I looked at the specimen policy booklets on the website however the CC policy takes these specimen booklets then applied an endorsement. certainly in the revised CC policy for periods between 90 days and 180 days where property not occupied it must be inspected each week by an authorised adult ( whatever that means).

Peter

peterjl - 2017-02-13 6:29 PM

Hi cat two

You may well be correct. I looked at the specimen policy booklets on the website however the CC policy takes these specimen booklets then applied an endorsement. certainly in the revised CC policy for periods between 90 days and 180 days where property not occupied it must be inspected each week by an authorised adult ( whatever that means).

Peter

And the question is - how do you prove it has been inspected or how do they prove it hasn't?

David

david lloyd - 2017-02-13 7:49 PM

And the question is - how do you prove it has been inspected or how do they prove it hasn't?

David

We used to ask our ' inspector / visitor ' to use our phone so we had a record that someone had been in the house.

Nowadays I suppose you could get them to take a selfie - holding a daily newspaper up ?

( Or in front of the telly with the news on )

;-)

malc d - 2017-02-13 8:31 PM

david lloyd - 2017-02-13 7:49 PM

David

We used to ask our ' inspector / visitor ' to use our phone so we had a record that someone had been in the house.

Nowadays I suppose you could get them to take a selfie - holding a daily newspaper up ?

( Or in front of the telly with the news on )

;-)

Forgive me for being a little cynical Malc d but some people would say that insurance companies may try to wriggle out of a claim. Would said examples merely indicate that someone has been in the house? Does it prove that a full inspection has been carried out?

It's another piece of fairly useless contract terms and conditions since, as we all know, if a disaster is to befall (such as flooding) it may very well do so as the visitor/inspector closes the door and turns the key. It will be found the following week but by then the damage is done.

I can't, in all honesty, see where the risks of leaving the house empty on day 91 are any greater than it being empty on day 89. But, I would go along with it because I have to.

David

Robbo - 2017-02-13 3:09 PM

I've just renewed the house insurance with CCC. Must admit I hadn't seen the 7 day visit by a responsible person when the house is left unoccupied, until you mentioned it.

Anyway, we always leave a spare key with a trusted neighbour and they check the house at least once a week.

I've just rechecked the policy and it has a list of endorsements which includes the 7 day inspection requirement when unoccupied. However, the endorsements are only applicable if they are shown as "Operative Endorsements" on page 1 of the schedule. Page 1 of my schedule doesn't mention the endorsement relating to the "7 day inspection".

Have you checked this with the CCC? I assume there is a standard condition regarding unoccupancy, frequently 30 days. If you know you will be away for longer, you need to declare that. That declaration will then trigger insertion of the endorsement, or possibly an alternative, specific, endorsement, stating a longer period, doubtless subject to a premium adjustment. The first golden rule of insurance, is never assume. The second is, always read the policy document, which sets out the terms of your contract.

david lloyd - 2017-02-14 7:59 AM............................I can't, in all honesty, see where the risks of leaving the house empty on day 91 are any greater than it being empty on day 89. But, I would go along with it because I have to.

David

They aren't, David, but the risks increase over time. A house that stands empty over time begins to look forsaken. No curtains drawn or lights on at night, or curtains drawn/part drawn during the day, or the same light/lights coming on and going off at the same times day after day, the garden becoming unkempt, the grass uncut, the post piling up (visible through a glazed front door, or the letterbox), no vehicles coming and going from the drive, etc.etc. Those who make it their business to notice these things may then begin to nose around and, if not challenged/questioned, may well decide to let themselves in. It depends on the location of the house, the proximity of neighbours, etc. etc. But, the longer the house stands empty the more apparent that emptiness will be, the higher the risk of that uninvited visitor.

Locally, being a rural area, we have quite a number of fairly remote houses that were burgled some years back, in broad daylight, in autumn. Chosen method of entry? A power saw applied to the front door. No one responded. Why? Who thinks the sound of a power saw, in the countryside, in autumn, is unusual, or an indication of burglary?

Insurance is a contract, and the conditions attached/premium charged are a reflection of that company's perception of the risk, as described by the applicant, that the policy represents. One's choice is to try other companies, to see whether one can get the extent of cover one wants, at a premium one is willing to pay.

Confronted with a large claim an insurer will inevitably investigate whether their client has failed to declare relevant facts and, if they have, may, as the contract entitles them to, reduce the pay-out, or reject the claim. It is for the applicant to ensure that all relevant facts have been declared. The insurer asks relevant questions on the declaration form, and provides a policy booklet. It is then for the applicant to check that all eventualities will be covered and, if in doubt, to check any uncertainties with their insurer. It's tedious, but it is essential.

Brian Kirby - 2017-02-14 12:02 PM

Robbo - 2017-02-13 3:09 PM

Have you checked this with the CCC? I assume there is a standard condition regarding unoccupancy, frequently 30 days. If you know you will be away for longer, you need to declare that. That declaration will then trigger insertion of the endorsement, or possibly an alternative, specific, endorsement, stating a longer period, doubtless subject to a premium adjustment. The first golden rule of insurance, is never assume. The second is, always read the policy document, which sets out the terms of your contract.

The CCC Household Proposal form does state 180 days in the security section.

To quote "What is the maximum number of days the house will be unoccupied? 180". Can't find anywhere in the documentation where you need the property to be regularly inspected, except in one of the endorsements which is not listed in the "Operative Endorsements", contained in the Schedule. A note is added at the head of the endorsements section "These endorsements only apply to your policy if they are shown as Operative Endorsements on Page 1 of this Schedule.

It all seems pretty cut and dried and therefore I have no compelling reason to ask for additional clarification :-D

Further to my post of yesterday. I have just renewed my buildings/contents insurance with Club Care (C&CC). I enquired as to the 7-day inspection period mentioned in other posts. Club Care are brokers and one of the companies they use is Canopius, this company does have the 7-day requirement.

We are insured with Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA) who do not have this stipulation.

At £207 the renewal fee was actually £22 less than that shown on the reminder. :-D :-D :-D

You do of course have to be a member of the C&CC to be entitled to the 180 days unoccupied benefit – but for various reasons we want that membership anyway.

We have had our home insured with the CC insurance for the past 3 years, mainly because of their 90 day unoccupied exemption,, we were told that if we wanted to be away longer, we could as long as we informed them ? Have never had to make a burglary claim but have made a storm damage claim which was settled without a quibble.

I will now take a lot closer look at their terms and conditions, however their premiums are excellent value.

C &CC are one of the few companies to offer more than 90 days. But it depends which insurer you go with Canopius insist on the 7 day inspection cover whereas Royal Sun Alliance don't.

But in the event of a claim with the 7 day inspection are you legally bound to offer proof (then they should be clear about what that would be) OR do they have to prove that it has not been inspected.

I suspect it only is an issue with a leak that has obviously been left unattended for weeks

webby1 - 2017-02-16 8:34 AM

C &CC are one of the few companies to offer more than 90 days. But it depends which insurer you go with Canopius insist on the 7 day inspection cover whereas Royal Sun Alliance don't.

But in the event of a claim with the 7 day inspection are you legally bound to offer proof (then they should be clear about what that would be) OR do they have to prove that it has not been inspected.

I suspect it only is an issue with a leak that has obviously been left unattended for weeks

Not necessarily webby1 - as Brian points out above the risk of burglary may increase the longer the property looks to be unoccupied and this may also have a bearing on how favourably the insurance company would look upon a claim. I don't particularly agree that having someone visit the house every 7 days would prevent such an occurrence (or even reduce the damage caused by water leaks) as, unless they stay there quite some time and are seen to be coming and going, switching lights on and off etc etc then the house may still look unoccupied to the professional watcher. Perhaps being a member of a neighbourhood watch scheme would be a safer way of ensuring anything untoward is not occurring at the premises.

David

We used to be with Saga but have now changed to Nationwide to take advantage of their new customer offer, probably change again if they put the price up too much next year. Both would cover your period away with no need for regular inspections. Not a problem for us anyway as our daughter lives in the village and calls in twice a week to check the post. She also keeps the grass cut as long grass is another giveaway.

Will86 - 2017-02-16 10:06 AM

We turn off all water at the road, empty all standing water, disconnect all power sources and happily go away uninsured.

Been doing it for years. ... Simple.

And what if your house is hit by lightening, as our neighbours was last year. The cost to repair the roof and all the damage indoors ran into 000's.

....... and of course there are other potential risks.......

Peter

Will86 - 2017-02-16 10:06 AM

We turn off all water at the road, empty all standing water, disconnect all power sources and happily go away uninsured.

Been doing it for years. ... Simple.

A friend who has a house in Coventry turned off water on outside stopcock, this was the very cold winter 4? years back, came back from France to a completely flooded house. Turns out there was a problem with main, water company turned off all the stopcocks on the road, fixed main and turned all the stopcocks back on. Fortunately he was insured, so left it with them to fight with water company over responsibility.

But still has anyone got any thoughts on the burden of proof...............................lot's of ideas about photos with newspapers etc

But I have agreed and signed that my house is inspected every 7 days (which it is by the way..... mr insurance spy) so in the event of a claim are you suggesting I am a liar..........................or be clear in advance about what you need me to do to prove the inspection takes place......

Archived