How do you stop stuff on shelves rattling.

paul_richardson

Hi Guys,

We have a narrow shelf under the window in our van's Loo.

It's got a perspex front, so nothing falls off while we are driving.

Unfortunately on the first use of the brakes everything falls forward and then the rattling starts.

Has anyone got any clever ideas to stop this happening?

I think little dividers or something are needed to hold it all in place.

To give you a better idea of the problem, the shelf is used for tooth paste, electric tooth brushes, deodorant, sun tan lotion and that sort of stuff.

Looking forward to receiving your suggestions.

Regards,

Paul and Julie.

Don636 - 2019-07-21 5:21 PM

If I had this problem I would just take the stuff off the shelf and stash it somewhere during travelling.

Hi Don,

Didn't mention it before, but we spend most of our time Touring, never staying more than 1 or 2 nights in any one place, so we would prefer to keep the stuff on it's shelf.

Regards,

Paul

paul_richardson - 2019-07-21 5:29 PM

Don636 - 2019-07-21 5:21 PM

If I had this problem I would just take the stuff off the shelf and stash it somewhere during travelling.

Hi Don,

Didn't mention it before, but we spend most of our time Touring, never staying more than 1 or 2 nights in any one place, so we would prefer to keep the stuff on it's shelf.

Regards,

Paul

Put the stuff in a bag, and put the bag on the shelf while travelling ?

(?)

This is a bit like a situation we have with the contents in a floor to ceiling pantry we have in our van just behind the drivers seat. This is used to store all sorts of dry goods such as tins, jars and packets. I have lined the shelves with anti-rattle matting but the problem is that tins and jars rattle against each other or worse still against the side just behind my head. To get round this I have to remember to jam everything in such that there is no room for things to move around and to put soft packets next to the sides. It is a bit of a faff but there is no other way round this. Perhaps you could do the same by making sure that things are jammed in against each other and can’t tip over by say putting a layer of foam behind the Perspex front and at the ends of the row of bits and pieces to take up the spaces.

I bought a couple of wire cutlery racks which I fixed to the back of the shelf with small metal brackets. The dividers are just the right spacing to take bottles of shower gel, shampoo etc.

www.apollohousewares.co.uk/data/products/5661_LGE.JPG

I bought a length of water pipe insulation foam (you know the stuff...like a grey tube, available in builders merchants etc). Then I cut it into various short lengths, from about 3" to 10" to suit my particular requirements. It's really handy for jamming between items, and even better for using upright in overheard lockers to hold light boxes and small baskets in place during travelling...e.g. a 10" length will compress to 'jam' into an 9" gap etc. It's cheap enough to have a tray full of various lengths, you'll be surprised at how useful it can be.

(You can even lag your pipes with it apparently!)

We also use some small diameter pipe insulation cut into lengths to fit in the cutlery drawer to stop the cutlery clattering around. For the oven we use two plastic wedges to stop the glass front rattling in it’s frame and also the pull out heat shield.

We had a similar issue in our kitchen area. Solved it by buying a two pack of six tea towels from B&M or Aldi. Now it's part of our despatch routine; battery to 'van; doors locked; power station off; rythm section of the band muted. 8-) (lol)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I think I have found the solution on Ebay.

Some small storage baskets that will hopefully fit perfectly on the shelf and I can fill each one ( with a little foam padding if needed) and have a rattle free journey.

Regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
We inherited some blue matching towels. One goes in the oven! One in each of the lockers where anything could rattle, one placed over the heater and one folded through the cooker top and oven and grill handles. No rattles at all! All the shelves and cupboards have that anti slide stuff cut to shape and fitted.

Look at the Brunner range of plates bowels cup and saucers etc, with the non slip rings on the bottom, not only do they stop the bits rattling and moving around when stored they also stop them slipping or being knocked over on the table (think wine glasses lol), for everything else we use tea towels, clean ones of course.

Archived