Hymer B584 A class round headlamps

thebishbus

A GOOGLE-search on “hymer replacing headlamp bulb”

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hymer+replacing+headlamp+bulb

suggests that there’s no alternative.

My experience has been that there’s occasionally a ‘wizard wheeze’ for performing a vehicle-related task that at first sight seems impossibly challenging, or that a special tool can be knocked up. But if you can’t gain enough access to the headlamp through the bonnet to change the bulb, and other people have said they’ve had to remove the wheel-arch liner, then that’s probably what has to be done.

You could try asking Hambilton Engineering if there’s a magic technique

http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/

I asked Peter Hambildon this question a while ago and he said he always takes the mudguard off as being the easiest way to gain access.

A friend of mine did manage to reach up from below to get to the headlamp mounting bolts (to slaken them and rotate to change from LHD to RHD) but it was a full-arms-length grope and very difficult and time-consuming.

My son changed both of mine when I had round headlamps. He has longer arms and stronger/longer fingers than me. He accessed from below without removing anything and I provided assistance through the open bonnet. Each one took us over an hour.

Without wishing to seem rude to my son, you need a willing gorilla who can understand the manual and wears proactive latex gloves to reduce the scrapes to the skin. When he replaces the bulbs on his Astra car, he removes the front bumper.

• 2 weeks later...

Just replaced the R/H dipped headlamp bulb. The bulb failed the other week when we were in Croatia, did not fancy trying to replace it there. I found that there was not enough clearance from underneath to gain access without removing something. What I did was, remove the front wheel , then the front wheel arch lining retaining screws, just the ones in front of the shock absorber. Then bent the front of the wheel arch lining, and the heater air tubes back,and tied them back to the shock absorber, this gave me enough access to the lamp. Makes a joke of having to carry spare bulbs, and replace them when they fail.

Brian B.

Archived