Hymer main beam bulb removal

Motaman

Depends which era of Hymer you're referring to.

If it's a 2001-2006 model these are Hella lamps and the outer pair are awkward to get at.

The easiest access is from below the vehicle and you can just about get your arm into the gap between the inner and outer mudguards to reach the back of the lamp unit.  Remove the rubber gaiter through which the cables pass and access the headlamp bulb that way.

Access is a lot easier if you remove the front bumper, which only takes a few minutes.  Half a dozen self-tapping scews either side and a couple of bolts under the middle.

If it's not that model tell us which one it is and someone will advise you.

Perhaps the most salutory part of the thread on Motorhome Facts is this post:

I had a bulb blown when I was in France earlier this year, I happened to be passing a motorhome dealer, not Hymer, on a whim I called in. The mechanic changed the bulb in two minutes by laying on a sheet of cardboard and reaching between the plastic wheel arch and the body. The charge was 5 euros, which included a full set of replacement bulbs in a plastic box !! Hope the bulb blows again just before I get to the dealer !!  It was the outside main bulb on a

If you know how the bulb fits into the headlamp unit, then doing it at arms length through a narrow gap from underneath is a quick and easy solution - and the French mechanic clearly did know how.  It is easier on the near side than the off side because the off side is cluttered with air ducting.

But it is remarkably easy to remove the front bumper moulding because it is only attached by a few self tapping screws under the rubber moulding around the outer mudguard and you only need to tak the front three screws out.  There is one additional screw underneath which is also a self taper into plastic so it doesn't rust up.  There are two self tappers securing the bumper moulding from the top, also self tappers into plastic, accessed inside the engine compartment.  Finally two bolts under the front and these also came undone easily even on my 11 year old motorhome.  The bumper moulding then come away front-wards and the electic cables are long enough for you to rest it on the ground.  Access to the back of the headlamp units is then much easier and you can see what you are doing.

I haven't replaced a headlamp bulb on mine but I took the bumper off recently to restore LHD orientation of the dipping headlights, after reading advice on this Forum that a flat-top beam (much better when abroad) will still pass the MOT for use in UK.

By all means try to change a headlamp bulb at arms length but if you start to struggle, removing the bumper will be worthwhile.

Plainly, if it’s practicable to reach the rear of the headlamp-unit and one is aware of how the bulb is retained, that’s the initial approach to take regarding bulb replacement - but, even then, the task may prove to be a swine to carry out.

My Hobby motorhome was based on a Ford Transit Mk 6 and I once experimented with what was involved in changing the H4 headlamp bulb on the ‘easy’ side of the engine-compartment where access to the rear of the headlamp-unit was not obstructed by air-con components. Athough I could reach the cover over the bulb and remove it relatively straightforwardly,, I had a helluva job reversing the procedure and I never attempted trying to replace the bulb on the ‘hard’ side. I believe (as with X290 Boxers/Ducatos/Relays) replacing Transit Mk 7 headlamp bulbs involves removing the headlamp-unit and (also like X290s) this is simple enough if you know how and have the appropriate tools.

Archived