I need your valued advice

rowlie

I have just committed myself to a project in a CI International on a 1990Transit Chassis. It is currenlty on Italian plates but has just passed it MOT so will be registered soon.

Q1 There is a solar panel. how can I check this is working.

Q2 The wc is a Thetford but not one I have seen before. It appears to empty from underneath. Can anyone supply user information

Q3 There is a TV ariel but again not like I have used before Can this be used for UK TV.

Q4 The passenger seat is currently a bench seat which I would like to change for a captains seat. Any pitfalls I need to be aware of.

Thats it for the moment. I would appreciate any advice on any aspect of doing up a motorhome.

Thanks in anticipation.

Guest pelmetman
rowlie - 2017-01-13 3:05 PM

I have just committed myself to a project in a CI International on a 1990Transit Chassis. It is currenlty on Italian plates but has just passed it MOT so will be registered soon.

Q1 There is a solar panel. how can I check this is working.

Q2 The wc is a Thetford but not one I have seen before. It appears to empty from underneath. Can anyone supply user information

Q3 There is a TV ariel but again not like I have used before Can this be used for UK TV.

Q4 The passenger seat is currently a bench seat which I would like to change for a captains seat. Any pitfalls I need to be aware of.

Thats it for the moment. I would appreciate any advice on any aspect of doing up a motorhome.

Thanks in anticipation.

Welcome to the forum ;-) .......I maybe bias but 1990 Transits are a good vintage, and hopefully as yours is of Italian heritage the rust worm has had minimal impact :D .......

Q1 ......If you have flat batteries? then its more likely to be the battery, unless you've replaced them :-S ....

Q2.......Need some pic's,,,,,,,coz never heard of or seen that method of emptying before? 8-) ......

Q3.......Plug a tv in and try it......our UK aerial works fine here in Spain B-) ........

Q4.......Should be a straight forward swop if you can find a secondhand swivel seat from a Tranny......O'learys in Hull might be your best option ;-) .......

As for pitfalls......If you don't know its history, then replace the timing belt, and the tyres if they're out of date or showing signs of cracking, but in general the MK3 Tranny is a reliable and cheap to run work horse, with none of the seriously expensive issues latter day vans suffer from B-) ........

I would expect there to be a charge controller to be fitted between the panel and battery, locate this, most have a system of lights, commonly a green light shows the panel is producing some power (although this could be a minuscule amount), a (slightly) better check is to put voltage meter on leads from panel to charge controller, in sunny weather this should read 17v plus.

rowlie - 2017-01-13 3:05 PM

Q2 The wc is a Thetford but not one I have seen before. It appears to empty from underneath. Can anyone supply user information...

These 2011 and 2012 MHFacts and MHFun forum threads both refer to a ‘marine’ toilet fitted to a 1995 CI “Sirio” motorhome, with the MHFacts discussion saying that the toilet’s manufacturer was Thetford.

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/19-introductions/87416-newbie-couple-questions.html

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/toilet-advice.46740/

Marine toilets were also mentioned here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fixed-toilet-waste-tanks/1807/

This type of toilet was quite often installed in Italian-built motorhomes (CI, Laika, etc.) in the past. When the toilet is used, waste goes into a fixed holding-tank (usually of quite large capacity) that is emptied via an operating lever that causes the waste to discharge (normally) directly through an outlet below the motorhome’s floor.

In Continental Europe it was relativelly common for campsites and motorhome service-areas to have a facility that allowed a motorhome with a marine toilet to drive over a ‘hole in the ground’ and empty the toilet’s holding-tank straight into that ‘hole’. Where no such facility was present, there was the option (mentioned in the above links) to temporarily attach a specially-designed ‘cassette’ to the outlet of the holding-tank and empty the tank (in stages) into the cassette that could then be carried to a designated toilet-waste emptying point. Ground-level toilet-waste emptying facilities are virtually unknown on UK campsites and (as far as I’m aware) no major UK motorhome manufacturer has fitted a marine-toilet to their leisure-vehicles.

Regarding obtaining information about your motorhome, there is a Roller Team and CI Owners Club

http://worldofmotorhomes.com/roller-team-and-ci-owners-club

but it may focus on more recent models. There was an earlier CI Owners Club, and the GEM Italian Owners Club

http://www.motorhomereviews.co.uk/motorhome-clubs/

but I’m guessing that neither still exists.

As your CI motorhome has ’vintage’ status (it might be useful to know exactly which CI model you have) you might also try contacting the Classic Camper Club.

http://www.classiccamperclub.co.uk/

I’m not sure if this will help, but this link

relates to replacing an elderly Thetford ‘marine’ toilet in an American RV.

This is the type of toilet I’d expect to see in your 1990 CI motorhome and (as I understand the system) operation is via two foot pedals, with one pressed to cause flush-water to enter the toilet-bowl and the other pressed to open the valve at the toilet-bowl’s base and cause whatever is in the bowl to drop into the holding-tank.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-15 9:29 AM

I’m not sure if this will help, but this link

relates to replacing an elderly Thetford ‘marine’ toilet in an American RV.

This is the type of toilet I’d expect to see in your 1990 CI motorhome and (as I understand the system) operation is via two foot pedals, with one pressed to cause flush-water to enter the toilet-bowl and the other pressed to open the valve at the toilet-bowl’s base and cause whatever is in the bowl to drop into the holding-tank.

We once had a Winnebago Rialta (built on a VW T4 base vehicle) that had a Thetford marine toilet like the one in the video. Ours had a large holding tank beneath the vehicle but there was a large diameter outlet with a gate valve (in fact a dual valve for the 'black' toilet tank and the 'grey' waste tank) to which you connected a fairly long corrugated pipe to take the waste to a suitable drain point.

David

Archived