IPad and dongles

Curly

Hi to all you teche guys out there have you had experience of using the IPad abroad with an International dongle or one that is for a specific country and what costs are involved.

Waiting for the release of the IPad 3.

(lol)

Curly

Guest JudgeMental

I want a 7 inch one and the Ipad 4 is supposed to be this size but not out till autumn so may well go for Samsung Galaxy 7.7. You can get a 3G version, it has expandable memory slot and screen supposed to be best one going..not cheap mind

sorry no help on dongles but I will use my T Mobile SIM, and, pay the £15 a month for overseas use and unlimited data

Hi

May be of some interest, not sure the new I Pad from the info below is worth changing to if you have the I Pad2...

Also You can just get near a McDonalds abroad and use there free Wi-Fi!!

Apple has announced it will be launching a new iPad, with bosses Phil Schiller and Tim Cook claiming they are redefining the tablet.

At the launch event in San Francisco - the first since the death of former CEO Steve Jobs -  Schiller said: "This is the best mobile display that has ever shipped. It is a real revolution."

Apple unveils new iPad (Copyright: AFP)

Simply named iPad, it will be available in the UK from March 16 and will feature a high resolution Retina Display, similar to the one found on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. It brings sharper graphics and text to the 9.7 inch screen.

The new iPad will have more pixels than a 50 inch HD TV, which generally has a resolution of 1920x1080.

It will have a resolution of 2048x1536, with a whopping 3.1 million individual pixels squeezed in.

[Related Article: Weird and wonderful gadgets wow world's top IT fair]

To produce enough power for the Retina Display, the iPad will have a new Apple A5X processing chip inside featuring quad core graphics for four times the performance.

The new iPad will also feature an improved five megapixel camera on the back using the same optical technology as found in the iPhone 4S. It will also be able to shoot video in 1080p high definition.

Yahoo News! reporter Jonathan Weinberg gets his hands on the new iPad at the Apple launch in London

Other new features include Voice Dictation and 4G next generation LTE wireless technology for faster surfing speeds. However, this will not be of any use in the UK until the mobile phone networks switch to the new standards, potentially as wider trials towards the end of this year and then during 2013.

Prices for the new iPad are expected to start at £399 for the 16GB Wi-Fi only version.

The iPad 2 will still be available at the reduced price of £329 for the basic version.

Apple also announced it was bringing out an iPad edition of its iPhoto software, giving users the chance to edit their pictures on the move. Like the Mac version, it will also let users organise their photos in different libraries.

I have an iPad 2 WiFi only. Currently sitting on the balcony of my hotel in Benidorm. I get unlimited use at a cost of 3 euros for 96 hours which is very good value. When in France during the summer will use MacDonalds or what is available free. I understand using a dongle is very expensive abroad.

You need to be more specific about where you are proposing to go

You cant plug a 'dongle' as such into an Apple device, they have their own proprietry connectors ie no user friendly PC-type USB slots we all take for granted.

Therefore, to use an iPad online away from wi-fi you need to have the 3G version which will use an internal sim card.

This can, of course be changed to be the sort of card that would resde in a dongle.

The £15 a month unlimited overseas use sim mentioned by the Judge seems a very good deal.

Guest JudgeMental

the galaxy 7.7 3G has a better screen and more connectivity..BUT it is also more expensive

I tethered my BB phone to laptop when away last summer for a month in Croatia/Italy etc..and had no problems. hoping the tablet should tether to phone via bluetooth or just put SIM in Galaxy as it works as a phone as well (and GPS)

The £15 a month is an additional charge by TMobile (over and above your monthly plan) so that you can use your phone abroad. You still get charged a packet for calls but if you have unlimited data plan, with us at least it worked OK last summer. I would;d be very careful mind, as these mobile companies are all different as are the plans *-)

JudgeMental - 2012-03-08 7:40 AM

... sorry no help on dongles but I will use my T Mobile SIM, and, pay the £15 a month for overseas use and unlimited data

Eddie - I can't see any reference to this specific 'unlimited internet on a phone in Europe' on the T mobile website - can you point me in the right direction please. :-D

JudgeMental - 2012-03-09 10:07 AM

there is no specific reference. You just pay the£15 a month roaming charge. like I said earlier your minutes dont count as these will be at more expensive rates, but you can buy packs of minutes at £5 a go

best call them, it may of changed from last year

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/going-abroad/

Looks like things have changed as there doesn't appear to be an 'unlimited' option available:

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=USING_THE_INTERNET_ABROAD&pcateg=HELPANDADVICE

Guest JudgeMental

OK Ta Mel, looked at link seems to have changed...

50Mb for £10...Is that good? obviously on-line gaming and down loading movies eats memory so you have to be sensible....

good thing seems that once you choose your allowance of £1, £5 or £10 = 3Mb,5Mb or 50MB Once you run out you have to buy another booster..so no coming home to MASSIVE bills :-S

seems different for BB users though: "If you’re a regular traveller abroad with a BlackBerry you can also buy a BlackBerry World Email 30 Day Booster which costs £15.32 for a month."

maybe that is what we use . this really is all to confusing for moi *-)

Re sitting outside a McDonalds overseas and using their wi-fi. Not strictly true. Last year in Italy I went to a McDonalds and you have to have a code number to put in so you could not obtain that sitting outside. Furthermore the staff inside McDonalds would not give you the password, you had to dial up for it on an italian mobile phone!!! so no wi-fi despite the purchase of a coke!!!

sshortcircuit - 2012-03-08 10:31 AM

I have an iPad 2 WiFi only. Currently sitting on the balcony of my hotel in Benidorm.

I would guess that you are staying at the Deloix Aqua Centre?

Spot on. Been out for a few so a bit of a delay in replying. Where are you?

sshortcircuit - 2012-03-10 12:41 AM

James France

Missed the edit window but how can you identify where I am?

Nothing mysterious, I have stayed there a few times and recognised the good value wifi. We were on La Torreta camping nearby last month, which belongs to the same family as the Deloix.

Back home in France now though. Apologies for the off topic.

JamesFrance - 2012-03-10 9:40 AM

sshortcircuit - 2012-03-10 12:41 AM

James France

Missed the edit window but how can you identify where I am?

Nothing mysterious, I have stayed there a few times and recognised the good value wifi. We were on La Torreta camping nearby last month, which belongs to the same family as the Deloix.

Back home in France now though. Apologies for the off topic.

Thanks James. I new things are changing with Google etc that they can spy on you but am relieved that it was just a clever deduction. I new there was a tie up with the hotel and tthe campsite although I thought it was El Raco so you live and learn. Our first awareness of the Deloix was when it was an abandoned shell and we were in the Meditarrano on its opening week. Beni looks like its have a rough time . Again sorry to OP for going well off topic

I had an interesting phone conversation with a chap from Vodafone yesterday. My customers have started to get iPads so I am involved in helping them integrate them into their businesses. I use Vodafone Data Traveller when abroad on my iPhone. 25MB every day for £10 a month. Works well and 25MB on a smart phone is more than enough. I have an Acer laptop and a superb wifi antenna for proper internet use which brings in wifi signals from up to 5 miles.

I digress, What the Vodafone guy told me is that whilst the Ipad isnt officially allowed to have a Vodafone Data Traveller account if you have a phone with a micro sim that is Vodafone Data Traveller enabled you can stick that sim in your iPad (assuming its one with a sim slot) and they wont know. He also said you can tether the iPad to your phone by setting the phone up as a wifi hot spot and they wont know either.

So this means (if he is right) that you could use your iPad to connect to the internet all over europe in the same way I use my iPhone.

Vodafone send you a text every time you near your 25MB limit. I beleive their data roaming rates are now capped at £36 a month unless you opt out so there should never be a case of anyone coming home to massive bills. It is now EU law that no company can charge more than (I think) £50 in any month for data roaming charges unless you have specifically opted out. So no more massive bills.

Guest JudgeMental

and that is what we did last summer...Tethered BB to laptop and it worked a treat.

Barry any details on your wifi antenna please?

JudgeMental - 2012-03-15 12:56 PM

and that is what we did last summer...Tethered BB to laptop and it worked a treat.

Barry any details on your wifi antenna please?

The one I have is the Repeat IT antenna supplied by Faculty X. It was built by the Swedish military and cost me £100 but sadly is no longer available. At 18dbi its pretty powerful.

However the good news is the replacement is cheaper and reports are despite it not being as powerful that it is just about as good as the old one.

http://www.faculty-x.net/NET-WL-usb-cpe2512bgn

Faculty X are members on MH Facts and have been pretty helpful. There is a massive long thread on there. http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=66595&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Barry, this is all good info - a couple of questions.................

Aren't the networks you pick up with your aeriel likely to be secured - why would there be loads of unsecured networks about just waiting for the likes of you, me and the Judge to plunder??

Secondly, am i right in that you would not incur roaming chargets with Vodafone Data Traveller? I am already with Vodafone, can i just add this to my contract and can it be added for a period of (say) 3 or 4 months???

Thanks again.

Guest JudgeMental
I think with the range there is a chance of picking up unsecured networks occasianally. But It would be handy on sites with poor wi fi where you normally have to sit in or around reception to get anything.....we had quiet a few examples of this last year in Croatia

bolero boy - 2012-03-15 4:18 PM

Barry, this is all good info - a couple of questions.................

Aren't the networks you pick up with your aeriel likely to be secured - why would there be loads of unsecured networks about just waiting for the likes of you, me and the Judge to plunder??

Secondly, am i right in that you would not incur roaming chargets with Vodafone Data Traveller? I am already with Vodafone, can i just add this to my contract and can it be added for a period of (say) 3 or 4 months???

Thanks again.

Yes most of them are secure. However there are quite a few that are not. Cafes, bars, McDonalds, hotels and sometimes home users have open wifi. I am lucky enough to have a French pal who gives me his SFR openzone password for France which means I am always online there but even in other countries its not hard to find free wifi.

I also use INSSIDER software to seek out wifi connections and to also tune in my antenna. http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Its amazing how a few degrees of tuning can suddenly pick up a free signal.

Im five months last summer in several countries we had internet access every day without fail using either Vodafone or the Antenna

Archived