Image on postings - how to replace?

Derek Uzzell

As will be seen, on my postings there is currently a photo of a black cocker spaniel beneath the “Derek Uzzell” user-name (Don’t ask!).

Obviously - because the photo of the dog is visible - I have been able to add an image to my postings (via the Forums Control Panel feature).

I am also able to suppress the image so that the photo of the dog does not appear on my postings.

What I cannot find a way to do is replace the photo with a different one. I can follow a procedure that (I believe) logically OUGHT to cause the photo of the dog to be replaced by a different photo, but whatever I do fails to work.

I have tried everything I can think of, but there now seems to be just two options - either the dog-photo on my postings or no photo. It’s as if, once the photo of the dog had been ‘stored’ by the forum’s software, the photo is being retained indefinitely.

There’s nothing particularly odd in what I’m trying to do - the dog-photo is a small 21kb .jpg file and (for experimentation purposes only) I’m trying to replace it with a 12kb .jpg image of a cat - so there shouldn’t be any file type or size issues. (And you’ll see that both files attach to this posting OK.)

Has anyone successfully replaced a ‘postings image’ recently please? If so, how?

dog.jpg.e7f19723d51ae765fcafac8088540874.jpg

cat-1.jpg.6ef3c36a4e3be6f5dc80fb4a80fda12a.jpg

Derek,

First, where in the CP are you trying to change your photo? via the 'Profile image URL' in your 'Profile' or 'Upload profile image:' in 'Images'.

Second, try renaming dog.jpg as (say) dog2.jpg and see if you can change the photo. If it does change then it points to a problem with cat.jpg.

Keith.

PS You obviously managed to change to dog.jpg fairly recently so how did you do that?

The reason I’ve asked about this is not because I want an avatar on my postings, it’s because Monique wants one.

Monique’s and my comments on the issue are amongst the postings on these recent forum threads

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Upgrading-fiat-light-to-4000kg-/46144/31/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Query-after-finding-Best-layout-for-first-motorhome/46165/

If you click on Monique’s profile

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/view-profile.asp?uid=29098

you’ll see the statement “This user has a photo available” and, if you click on that, this is what will appear

http://nl.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30bcze0&s=9#.WIyjcrF0clk

I don’t know if what Monique is trying to do is valid as far as the forum’s software is concerned, but the size of the .jpg file containing the photo of the dog on the last link is 1.2mb, so probably too large to succcessfully transfer.

I can produce the square with the question-mark in it ’’avatar’ that appears on Monique’s postings if I mess about with the “Profile image URL” option, but I used the “Images” section in my Profile to successfully add the dog-photo originally.

Now, whatever I do (and I’ve tried renaming, changing file sizes, resolution - you name it) even if I clear everything apparently relevant out of my Profile I still end up with the dog-photo (or nothing) being displayed as my avatar.

If you click on my Profile and then on the “This user has a photo available” statement, you’ll see the cat-photo, but I just can’t get that to be my avatar. There may be something simple that I’m missing, which is why I asked if anyone had replaced their avatar recently.

Perhaps a forum member would like to try replacing their present avatar with a sub-100kb .jpg or .jpeg file using the “Upload profile image’ feature and see how they get on...

Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-28 2:37 PM

Perhaps a forum member would like to try replacing their present avatar with a sub-100kb .jpg or .jpeg file using the “Upload profile image’ feature and see how they get on...

I have tried doing this using the Control Panel and I cannot either delete my Avatar, or overwrite it with a new photo of any size (tried from 6 Kb up). This now seems a matter for the webmaster to investigate, as previously forum members have been able to change their Avatars at will (Tracker for example has had several).

Edit no 1: I now see that you have got the cat as your Avatar, so you must have been successful: do tell how you did it.

Edit no 2: My Avatar has now vanished!

Edit no 3: I have got the Avatar back by re-loading it through Control Panel

spospe - 2017-01-28 4:44 PM

...Edit no 1: I now see that you have got the cat as your Avatar, so you must have been successful: do tell how you did it...

No, I haven’t got the cat-photo as my Avatar.

The photo is a bit like Schrödinger’s paradoxical cat - it’s not on my own computer (as I deleted it) but as I can see it if I click on the "This user has a photo available” in my Profile, the cat-photo must logically be somewhere in the forum’s storage. What I can’t do is replace the dog-photo avatar with the cat-photo however much I try.

What you’ve been able to do is what I can do. I can have no avatar or the avatar I originally loaded. I think you’d find that, if you repeated your “Edit no 3” procedure and tried to load a new photo that was different to your original avatar, your original avatar would appear not the new photo.

I’ve taken a copy of the photo on Monique’s ’tinypic’ link and I’ve reduced the file to below 100kb (file attached). I could, in principle, load this as Monique’s avatar if she gave me her forum password and I logged on under her monique.hubrechts@gm user-name. However I’m not certain now whether that would work given the way the forum seems to be reacting to my efforts.

(I’m sending you a PM that may be of interest)

30bcze0.jpg.0c348acc620d5316691eb9b6f5ba2bed.jpg

Derek the Web Master should be coming to live and make New school if he/she have the resource to clean the site. The same was done on other sites where i am active posting.Changing a picture was very simple. Take it easy we will get there. My forum password is :

(Monique, as an assistant Moderator I have removed your password. I suggest you immediately change it to prevent any fraudulent use. As a rule it is very bad practice to publish any password or genuine email address on any public forum. Keithl)

Monique

Try copying the following character-string into the “Photo URL” and “Profile image URL” boxes of your Profile

/forums/profile/get-photo.asp?memberid=231&type=photo

and then click on the “Submit” button further down.

If that does not work, send me a PM (click on the “PM” button on this posting) with your forum password and I’ll see if I can add the dog-photo for you.

Just changed mine without a problem, reduced the image size which was about 23 kbs. Went to my control panel, upload profile image, selected choose file and when it appeared pressed go.

You obviously know this, you know a lot more than I do about these things but it worked for me.

Barcobird

Thank’s for the feedback.

The image now on your postings is a .jpg file with a resolution of 72 pixels/inch and (as you’ve said) has a 23kb size. The files I‘ve been testing with have also been .jpg type with a 72 pixels/inch resolution, but have been even smaller in size than yours.

You’ve been able to replace your avatar using exactly the same procedure I’ve been employing, and that procedure is what I’d expect to work OK. I’m using a Mac and I’ve found in the past that the forum’s software has occasionally not married comfortably with mine, so the problem may just be at my end.

Beats me, but as Monique now has her dog as an avatar and I don’t have an avatar on my postings (which suits us both) I’m not going to explore this any further.

It's not just you. I'm using windows 7, and have found some oddities in how it works.

I tried to upload another photo, but hadn't deleted existing one, Had made photo same size in pixels as present one but it kept coming back 'file to big' (or some such message), I thought to then delete the original , and that went off ok, tried to upload photo and still no joy, so reinstated original.

I then thought to check file size and it was about 60kb, so I reduced file size so it was about same size in pixels and kb as original, I then uploaded this forgetting I had reinstated original, a message came up telling me it had uploaded ok, but it was nowhere to be seen, so I tried deleting original, but it now won't delete the original.

Monique

Please can you explain what you did to replace Phil with Jeff?

I can see Jeff's photo here

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2q1xok8&s=9#.WI97LrF0fIE

but I am not sure what method you are using so that Jeff's photo shows in your Profile and on your postings.

I think you might be doing this by putting something in the “Photo URL” and “Profile image URL” boxes, but I have tried doing that and cannot get it to work.

For now it seems that Phil has decided to adopt me and, however much I encourage him, he just refuses to return home!

Derek, my default search engine is set as Google, but some operations for building the websites run better on Google Chrome, as does eBay.

Last week I tried to change the avatar on another Forum and it wouldn't work on a Chrome session but would on Google.

Maybe the fact that some of the above are finding it easy to alter might be down to the engine used?

Allan

Advice on how an image-file can be added to a Profile and/or displayed as an ‘avatar’ on postings can be found here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Code-of-Conduct-and-User-Guidelines/Forum-User-Guide/You-and-your-profile/3990/

but this guidance was provided on 3 April 2006 not that long after the Out&AboutLive forums were created.

As I’ve said in the past I have an iMac running OS X and the browser I use is normally Apple's ‘native’ product Safari.

Accessing the O&AL forums via Safari I can have the Phil-the-black-spanial photo as my avatar. I can ‘suppress' that photo so it does not appear as my avatar, but I am unable to replace it.

If I choose the GOOGLE Chrome browser (which I don’t much care for) instead of Safari the forums’ avatar-creating procedure does indeed act differently, but it’s still problematical.

Accessing the O&AL forums via GOOGLE Chrome I find that my avatar is now a CAT-photo and there’s another (different) CAT-photo on my Profile. The cat-photos were among the various images I was playing about with when I was experimenting, but it appears that I cannot replace them either. When I attempt replacement the response differs from when I use Safari but it still does not result in the avatar image being replaced.

When I switch back to using the Safari browser, back comes Phil the spaniel.

That other forum members are able to repeatedly replace avatar images without difficulty suggests that there is some sort of conflict between the forum’s elderly software and mine. I was able to select Phil’s photo originally as my avatar and I know what procedure I used then. I’d expect that procedure to allow me to replace avatar images easily and simply, but it does not.

I give up...

As far as I can see, you do not have a picture in your profile. I don't see the problem.

This is how I changed pictures:

1) The first time I didn't see that it was possible to just upload a photo (with the "GO"). I thought that the only way was to put an URL in the fields "profile photo" and "personal photo".

2) Therefore I have made an URL of the photo (with the app Tinypic). Then I've copied the wrong URL (you get several with Tinypic) and it did'nt work.

3) I used finally the correct URL and it works. I can now change the photo just by replacing the URL's.

If you remove the URL's in both fields the photo is gone. Each time you submit a change in your profile you have to leave the current page and enter again to see the changes.

I think that once you started with the URL's, the uploading of photo's with the "GO" is not working anymore. Anyway nothing happens when I try to upload a photo this way !

Monique

Thanks for the information.

I was able to remove the photo of Phil from my Profile and as an ‘avatar’ on my postings, so - as I do not want an avatar or a photo on my Profile - I was not really concerned that I was having problems.

I used the “GO” method when I originally made use of the photo of Phil and, although I would have expected to use the “GO” method again when I wanted to replace Phil’s photo, as I think you discovered that does not seem to work for replacement photos.

I had experimented with the URL method and, as I could see that you were using TinyPic, I followed the procedure you have described. I tried all four options that TinyPic provides but none of them worked. With hindsight I may have made a typing mistake or (more prabably) just became fed up.

Anyway, having used the TinyPic method again - and been more careful this time - you will see that I have now managed to (temporarily) place a photo of me in my Profile and as my avatar.

Thanks for the help.

Derek

Archived