Imported motorhome euro plug sockets

webpax

As per previous thread I am in the process of importing a German specification motorhome. Obviously the internal plug sockets will be the two pin European variety. I plan to use a 12v charger for the laptop and USB for phones etc but will have at minimum a kettle, a slow cooker and the wife's hairdryer to run from the 230v sockets.

The options seem to be:

1) Get a dealer to swap out the European sockets for UK ones.

2) Strip the UK plugs from the appliances and replace with European ones.

3) Use the converter plugs that one would would use when travelling to Europe with UK appliances.

4) Buy new appliances in Europe just for the Motorhome

I'm not so keen on option 1 as I may want to trade the vehicle in at some point with a German dealer but I suppose if they are easy to switch back this could be an option.

Regarding 2 is this just a straight swap of plugs? I've not seen European plugs for sale in the UK but presume they could be bought in a French supermarket.

I was just wondering what others had done who have imported motorhomes and any problems they might have encountered?

Thanks in advance.

....The easiest option is 3 (and you probably don't need as many converters as sockets - only as many as devices you wish to use concurrently).

The neatest solution, however, would be to switch the sockets for UK spec ones yourself, and retain the removed continental versions to refit in the future if necessary.

It is very likely that the sockets will be the modular CBE or Berker type, both of which have readily available 13A UK modules available (around £6 each). Subject to accessibility, it is a fairly simple job to switch out (pun intended) the continental core module and exchange for a UK spec one.

Unless up-specced, most Continental vans come with a limited number of outlets, so the cost shouldn't be great.

Robinhood - 2019-10-21 9:45 AM

....The easiest option is 3 (and you probably don't need as many converters as sockets - only as many as devices you wish to use concurrently).

The neatest solution, however, would be to switch the sockets for UK spec ones yourself, and retain the removed continental versions to refit in the future if necessary.

It is very likely that the sockets will be the modular CBE or Berker type, both of which have readily available 13A UK modules available (around £6 each). Subject to accessibility, it is a fairly simple job to switch out (pun intended) the continental core module and exchange for a UK spec one.

Unless up-specced, most Continental vans come with a limited number of outlets, so the cost shouldn't be great.

Thanks Robinhood. I agree 3 is the easiest option but it can look a bit ugly!

Regarding the switching of sockets that sounds interesting - is it just the socket faceplates and what is immediately behind it that gets swapped out or is there something else as well (just wondering what is meant by 'core module').

The "core" units are of this style (Berker (round centre) and CBE (square centre) vary in central shape, but are similar in concept).

https://cdn.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/20413-large_default/c-lineblack240vsocketforcaravansmotorhomes.jpg

Being modular, there is also a two-part frame/escutcheon (of which the already installed bits will be re-usable), and if the rear of the socket is exposed, a "back box" which should also be re-usable.

The screw fixing points of the existing continental socket are the same as the UK one, it is simply a matter of dismantling, re-wiring, and putting it back together again with the single new part.

In order to match up, you need to determine whether Berker or CBE (hopefully one or the other) CBE tends to be cheaper and more available - though 13A socket units are widely available anyway, and be aware there are different colours available - the one in the picture is black - brown is pretty common.

The modular approach means you can buy all sorts of sockets, switches and outlets to fit the frame/escutcheon.

Fantastic. Thank you very much for the detailed explanation Robinhood.

That looks like the preferred option. I've got 5x230v sockets but I probably don't need to switch them all as we do have some appliances (e.g. a fan bought in France) which have Euro plugs on or a Euro plug lead supplied (e.g. small DVD player).

I've just noted that it is probably a Hymer you're getting.

Most likely CBE fittings.

This page shows the concept well (though you'll probably get socket modules cheaper elsewhere).

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/cbe_set_up.php

This shows only a single mount/frame - they also come as multiples, but these take the same, single insert units (just several of them)

A caveat about changing sockets...

When I imported a Hobby motorhome from Germany in 2005 it (naturally) had German-norm Schuko-type 230V sockets of the type shown in the attached image below. There were a lots of these sockets scattered throughout the Hobby’s living-area and I never bothere to swap them for UK-norm 3-pin sockets. When necessary I just used a ‘converter’.

When I ordered a LHD Rapido motorhomethrough a UK dealership in 2014 I assumed that it also would come with Continental-type (or France-norm) 230V sockets. In fact - although LHD - my motorhome’s electrical system is to UK specification.

The standard specification of a Rapido 640F model has just a single 230V socket positioned on the wall to the left of and close to the gas-hob. This is OK if you want to employ a mains-powered electric kettle that can be sat on the hob’s glass lid, but not much use for anything else. Consequently I added a double-socket of the type shown in Robinhood’s posting of 21 October 2019 10:07 AM above, mounting this in the panel at the foot of the Rapido’s rear fixed central bed, which was, realistically, the only place where an extra socket could be installed.

There was much swearing when I did this, not relating to taking wiring to the sockets but to actually attaching the cables to the rear of the sockets. Anyway, if you choose to DIY a ‘multiple socket’ change you may find that it’s trickier than (say) connecting up a UK ‘domestic’ socket outlet.

schuko.jpg.ccec9f5ece2f040c61a8cb423877ed06.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-21 12:11 PM

.... but to actually attaching the cables to the rear of the sockets. .

Indeed, which is why I highlighted accessibility in my first post.

It would be sensible in the first instance to ascertain whether free cable length behind the existing socket(s) is sufficient to allow removal and replacement.

FWIW, though my Hymer came with UK sockets, the two in the garage were mounted vertically together, rendering one of them useless, being obstructed by the flex from the other when in use. I turned them both through 90 degrees, and there was sufficient slack to replace if necessary.

Steve H - 2019-10-21 12:18 PM

I am in the same situation. I use two solutions.

Firstly buying individual EU two pin plugs from Amazon.

Secondly by using an extension adaptor which can take any type of plug in it as well as USB and which has an EU plug on the end.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G6ZJGSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks like a handy bit of kit, thanks.

Robinhood - 2019-10-21 11:39 AM

I've just noted that it is probably a Hymer you're getting.

Most likely CBE fittings.

This page shows the concept well (though you'll probably get socket modules cheaper elsewhere).

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/cbe_set_up.php

This shows only a single mount/frame - they also come as multiples, but these take the same, single insert units (just several of them)

Yes it is a Hymer. That link is very useful in showing how it fits together, thanks.

We have the same situation, having LHD. I've never considered changing the sockets, we usually do a combination of 2 and 3. Some of the adaptors are a bit bulky and if the sockets are in say, a tight corner, or with restricted access, you may not get them in the socket. (as is the case with one of ours) You can pick up EU plugs pretty easily and cheaply in most French/German DIY stores, so changing the plug on an appliance is fairly simple.

rael - 2019-10-21 7:18 PM

You can pick up EU plugs pretty easily and cheaply in most French/German DIY stores, so changing the plug on an appliance is fairly simple.

Thanks rael will probably do that for the kettle as that stays in the motorhome all the time.

flyboyprowler

The need for webpax to meet the UK’s imported motorhome technical requirements was covered in posting 15 October 2019 8:15 AM on this other forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Importing-from-Germany-V55-4-Revenue-weight/53319/

My Rapido motorhome, although ordered in LHD format, was only built to ‘partial’ UK specification, with the Ducato element still having a speedometer with a km/h-only scale and right-dipping headlamps, but with the Rapido conversion having a UK-norm 3-pin 230V socket and a UK-spec ‘circuit-breaker’ box. It would also have had a UK ‘package’ gas-stove, removable carpets and a gas/230V heater, but I chose to delete that package. But my Rapido was ordered through a UK dealership that fitted a mph/km/h speedometer overlay and left-dippling headlamps prior to me taking delivery. However, if I had ordered the Rapido through (say) a French or German dealership, I would not have expected to be able to specify that it be built with a UK-norm conversion specification, nor that the dealership would necessarily agree to alter the original Ducato specification to comply with the UK’s registration requirements.

In 2005, when I was in the process of ordering a LHD Hobby motorhome from a German dealership, I asked if a UK speedometer and headlamps could be specified and was told that they could not be. According to the German dealer, I could order from him a RHD Hobby with a full UK specification, but he had never done this for a UK buyer and said that there would likely be a long delay and the pricing would need to be negotiated. In those days Hymer would certainly permit a RHD UK-spec motorhome to be ordered from a non-UK dealership for a relatively small price uplift, but I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

flyboyprowler - 2019-10-21 10:50 PM

Are you buying new? If so then surely you can specify UK sockets if you need them. Our LHD Niesmann came with UK sockets, but LHD headlights, so that is something else you will need to look at?

I am buying new flyboyprowler but not to order. I had originally intended to go that route but that would have taken 4-6 months to deliver with the unknown of Brexit in the middle, plus I would then have fallen foul of the new VED rules. Instead I spotted a new van in a dealer showroom (via mobile.de) which is available now, euro 6c so old VED rules apply.

The dealer is sorting the headlights for me along with fitting an overlay for the speedo I sent them from Lockwoods.

webpax - 2019-10-22 8:55 AM

Are you buying new? If so then surely you can specify UK sockets if you need them. Our LHD Niesmann came with UK sockets, but LHD headlights, so that is something else you will need to look at?

I am buying new flyboyprowler but not to order. I had originally intended to go that route but that would have taken 4-6 months to deliver with the unknown of Brexit in the middle, plus I would then have fallen foul of the new VED rules. Instead I spotted a new van in a dealer showroom (via mobile.de) which is available now, euro 6c so old VED rules apply.

The dealer is sorting the headlights for me along with fitting an overlay for the speedo I sent them from Lockwoods.

Well, it looks like you have a very accommodating dealer, and I hope all goes well with the import. An added expense I know, but have you considered using an import agent to handle all the paperwork for you. We imported a new Mercedes a few years ago, and for the cost, the import went smoothly and the car was delivered to our door. Sadly, I cant same the same for the Niesmann as the dealer was pants! :'(

flyboyprowler - 2019-10-22 9:33 AM

webpax - 2019-10-22 8:55 AM

Well, it looks like you have a very accommodating dealer, and I hope all goes well with the import. An added expense I know, but have you considered using an import agent to handle all the paperwork for you. We imported a new Mercedes a few years ago, and for the cost, the import went smoothly and the car was delivered to our door. Sadly, I cant same the same for the Niesmann as the dealer was pants! :'(

Thank you. I think using an agent would have made the cost savings less worthwhile. I met the German dealer at the Dusseldorf Caravan Salon and he speaks good English and his dealership is very experienced in export sales. Plus of course with great support on these forums and information available generally on the internet I decided to go it alone. We pickup the van next week so I'll report back once everything is done.

A UK company (Bundesvan) used to offer a ‘middle-man’ service for people wanting to import a motorhome, but I’m not sure if there’s anyone in the UK now providing a similar service.

Having the motorhome transported from the vendor abroad to the buyer’s UK home is another possibility but the cost (in 2005) was around £800, so I dread to think what the cost would be now.

.........................................................................................................................

webpax

I assume you plan to drive the motorhome from Dortmund to your UK home? If so, have you managed to obtain insurance other than the basic 3rd-party type available in Germany?

.........................................................................................................................

For anyone considering importing a new motorhome from Germany, this 2016 link may be of interest

https://www.motorhomevoyager.co.uk/know-how/how-to/importing-a-motorhome-from-germany/

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-22 1:59 PM

webpax

I assume you plan to drive the motorhome from Dortmund to your UK home? If so, have you managed to obtain insurance other than the basic 3rd-party type available in Germany?

Derek, the dealer is providing a one month fully comprehensive Europe wide policy. I have this in writing from them and as they are the biggest Hymer dealer in Europe I am inclined to trust them. However once I have the vehicle in the UK and the alarm/tracker is fitted and garage inspection complete I will be leaving it in secure storage until registration and UK insurance is obtained.

I don’t trust anybody - I don’t even trust me...

This 2016 MHFun thread mentions buying a Hymer from Durrwanf at Dortmund

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/anyone-used-d%C3%BCrrwang-m%C3%B6rlein-hymer-dortmund-germany.143874/

and says

"I bought our LHD Hymer MLI from Durrwang; they gave us a good quote against a written spec; they took a reasonable deposit; were good at responding to queries; arranged an effective handover including export plates and temporary insurance to get us home

I’m wary that Durrwang can provide you with a single ‘fully comprehensive’ insurance policy that will iinclude 3rd-party cover, though I might believe that Durrwang can provide an ‘accidental damage’ policy that would supplement the short-term 3rd-party insurance available when a motorhome to be exported from Germany is temporarily registered there.

Suggest you ask Durrwang for a copy of the policy so that you can confirm its terms and conditions and scope.

(I asked a French motorhome dealership about providing insurance if I boght from them and was told that this would not be practicable unless I owned a property in France.)

Derek Uzzell - 2019-10-23 8:12 AM

I don’t trust anybody - I don’t even trust me...

This 2016 MHFun thread mentions buying a Hymer from Durrwanf at Dortmund

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/anyone-used-d%C3%BCrrwang-m%C3%B6rlein-hymer-dortmund-germany.143874/

and says

"I bought our LHD Hymer MLI from Durrwang; they gave us a good quote against a written spec; they took a reasonable deposit; were good at responding to queries; arranged an effective handover including export plates and temporary insurance to get us home

I’m wary that Durrwang can provide you with a single ‘fully comprehensive’ insurance policy that will iinclude 3rd-party cover, though I might believe that Durrwang can provide an ‘accidental damage’ policy that would supplement the short-term 3rd-party insurance available when a motorhome to be exported from Germany is temporarily registered there.

Suggest you ask Durrwang for a copy of the policy so that you can confirm its terms and conditions and scope.

(I asked a French motorhome dealership about providing insurance if I boght from them and was told that this would not be practicable unless I owned a property in France.)

It's a fair point Derek. However I'm happy I have it in writing in English from the biggest Hymer dealer in Europe that I am covered for all risks for one month throughout Europe. I did ask the question more than once and got explicit answers that I am fully covered. As mentioned I have no intention of using the vehicle until it is UK registered and insured other than to get it to VanBitz for the alarm/tracker, to the garage for the inspection and then into secure storage.

Before I approached Durrwang about the insurance I called all the usual recommended UK insurers and no one was interested in insuring on the VIN except for one 'maybe'. However they wouldn't insure it without Thatcham approved security which of course it won't have until I have been to Vanbitz.

I wish I had bought from Durrwang! However, on the insurance and alarm front, have you tried NFU for a quote! They were the only company that gave a reasonable price for our Niesmann, (circa £800) and the recent renewal was £780 and that was after a minor at fault claim.

Re alarms, we used "outsmart the thief" and have been very pleased with their service, and their price.

flyboyprowler - 2019-10-23 2:17 PM

I wish I had bought from Durrwang! However, on the insurance and alarm front, have you tried NFU for a quote! They were the only company that gave a reasonable price for our Niesmann, (circa £800) and the recent renewal was £780 and that was after a minor at fault claim.

Re alarms, we used "outsmart the thief" and have been very pleased with their service, and their price.

Hi flyboyprowler we did try NFU (I think we tried pretty much everyone!). They went away for a few days for referral to the underwriters and came back negative. They did say if we put other insurance with them they might reconsider. Unfortunately we don't own a car or any other vehicles and adding home insurance alone wasn't sufficient to sway them.

Regarding alarms I've heard of the one you mentioned however we're booked in with the VanBitz for the Growler and tracker install. The fact that they can also fit Gaslow for us and they have a campsite where we can stay swayed it for us. The alarm we had on the last van was a Cobra (a car alarm essentially) and it was awful! Spent a lot of money continually getting sensors replaced and fixes done. The Growler has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser and we're getting a 'funsters' discount so hopefully a worthwhile investment.

Archived