Independent MH mechanical warranties

Boris

I may be stirring up a nest of worms here, but does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations for these for when the dealers/manufacturers' expire? Sadly, we were not able to take advantage of the Fiat extended warranty when we bought new as it has to be effected within 10 days of first registration. We only found out about it after we took delivery which was 20 days after first reg. The dealers never told us! This is fairly common as had we bought from a Fiat dealer we would have known, but Fiat don't sell motorhomes.

When we bought a used MH from Oaktree they included an RAC warranty FOC which we upgraded to give better cover and a lower excess but have been told that others are available.It is really only the base vehicle we are concerned with as dealer's hab warranty has another year to run yet.

It seems that the RAC offer silver, gold and platinum with varying degrees of cover but having spent 50 years in the insurance industry i am pretty cynical about insured warranties.

Any thoughts from those who have bought and used such would be appreciated please. I would expect many to have moans and groans and tales of woe but anything which might be of use would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry

What is the make, and age, of your van? Have you read the Fiat warranty and noted the exclusions? Have you read any of the other warranties and read their exclusions? As you will appreciate, the devil of any insurance product is in the detail, so anyone else's experience will only be relevant to the product they bought, and when, and whether they had to use it. What is the risk that concerns you?

Had one on my car, moment of weakness when buying it from a dealer.

Total rubbish, they only pay labour far below garage rates so you end up paying the difference.

Argue about all claims then refuse to pay out, they even used an independant "expert" advice to refuse paying for a leaking radiator.

All failures will go down as wear and tear and expected to fail at that age so no "warranty" claim.

Garages refuse to let them pay as they are wary of getting their money from them, end up paying and having to claim the money back, if they do pay any.

Would never use that product again.

Jands - 2019-11-23 9:44 AM

Had one on my car, moment of weakness when buying it from a dealer.

Total rubbish, they only pay labour far below garage rates so you end up paying the difference.

Argue about all claims then refuse to pay out, they even used an independant "expert" advice to refuse paying for a leaking radiator.

All failures will go down as wear and tear and expected to fail at that age so no "warranty" claim.

Garages refuse to let them pay as they are wary of getting their money from them, end up paying and having to claim the money back, if they do pay any.

Would never use that product again.

It might be more help to the OP if you were to state whose insurance policy that was. It is not necessarily the case that they are all the same.

The company was warranties 2000.

I dont expect they are anything different than any other insurance based warranty company.

They make their money by not paying out as much as they take in, and a 3-5 year old vehicle will start to have costly problems so they will be reluctant to pay out.

There is a big wear and tear get out on the policies, what is the natural life on components, they will argue 3 years.

The warranty is against defective components which would normally show up within 2 years. Wear, corrosion, damage, abuse is not covered.

The cost is small compared with many claims so to make a profit they will dismiss lots as normal age failures.

Your choice but it's not total cover for component failure so expect some exclusions and costs if you have mechanical problems.

Archived