Inexpensive Caravan 12v Full HD TV/DVD in Aldi

StuartO

A friend tipped me off that Aldi had a batch of "caravan" TVsso I went to check them out this morning.  He tells me they have a very good picture.

They are badged "Baum" and the viewing screen is nominally 21.5".  Measurements: 503mm wide, 51mm deep and 300mm high, without the stand.

As well a built-in DVD player and HD Freeview tuner, they have scart input, hdmi input, VGA input, usb input, mini AV input and CI input and mini YPbPr, whatever they are.

They are supplied with a cigar-lighter 12v lead as well as a mains adapter, so you can power from either.

They cost £124.95 and come with a 3 year guarantee.

Joined the que outside my local Aldi for one of these on the Sunday morning when they came out the weekend before last. I noticed on Friday that the empty box had been removed from display, so assume that they had sold out - the Aldi online store had sold out before they were available in store.

I have not had a TV in a van so far, but the Chausson came with a bracket already fitted & it looked a bit stark with nothing on it. I got it fitted this weekend (4 M4 screws through the Vesa bracket) & it does have a good picture, though the sound is a bit tinny. It has a headphones socket, so I intend to connect it to a Sony soundbar. With just an old pc TV card ariel perched inside the Heki rooflight it found over 80 TV stations + a couple of dozen radio stations. It weighs in at 3 kg without the stand fitted & is rated at 36 watts.

Nigel B

I've now had an opportunity to set mine up in the kitchen for a trial and it seems to work very well.  Even I found the setup straightforward and it gave options for tuning in UK/France/Germany which might be handy.  I didn't think the sound was tinny and there is a button to allow you to select various sound modes - speech, music, movie, so given the relatively small size of the TV I think its OK.

Having started to read the User Guide I find that it will record programs (on to a usb stick) as well as play them back from that source, as well as play from DVD.  The user Guide is in good English and printed on good paper, so not your naff Chinese at all.

So far it presents as a pretty good piece of kit - let's hope I can squeeze it into the available space in the MH!

By the way the Aldi I went to today (in Lowestoft) had more than 10 of these in stock.  They also had a big pile of 25m EHU leads (which I'm pretty sure were the proper 2.5mm² cable) for £24.95.

StuartO - 2017-04-10 11:16 AMBy the way the Aldi I went to today (in Lowestoft) had more than 10 of these in stock.  They also had a big pile of 25m EHU leads (which I'm pretty sure were the proper 2.5mm² cable) for £24.95.

Yes, they are indeed 2.5mm2 cable, marked as such on the cable outer.Still available online with free delivery too.

Unfortunately, because this TV is much wider aspect ratio than my existing 17" set (which was a tight squeeze anyway) there's no way it will go into the slide-in locker.  At least the other one still works!

Fortunately I will be able to install the new one at the foot of my single bed, fixed on a wall bracket - so playing DVD movies will have to be movies in bed!

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2017-04-10 12:58 PMUnfortunately, because this TV is much wider aspect ratio than my existing 17" set (which was a tight squeeze anyway) there's no way it will go into the slide-in locker.  At least the other one still works!

Fortunately I will be able to install the new one at the foot of my single bed, fixed on a wall bracket - so playing DVD movies will have to be movies in bed!

Ditto to big for us to.........although excellent value ;-) .......

pelmetman - 2017-04-10 8:41 PM
StuartO - 2017-04-10 12:58 PMUnfortunately, because this TV is much wider aspect ratio than my existing 17" set (which was a tight squeeze anyway) there's no way it will go into the slide-in locker.  At least the other one still works!

Ditto to big for us to.........although excellent value ;-) .......

I suppose at some stage I'll have to consider abandonning the sliding TV cupboard and fasten a bigger TV to the bulkhead, like they do on later MHs.  My last MH had a TV locker designed for a CRT TV, so quite big and potentially useful.  This sliding flatscreen TV locker would only hold a row of bottles - now there's a thought ...........

Most of the stuff I like to watch is recorded in the old 4:3 aspect. I got a DVD player from Aldi where the picture was stretched wide and wouldn't adjust, they gave me a full refund no problem.

I now have a ALBA TV/DVD from Argos which is great for adjusting any picture aspect, and all the other features normally only found on DVD players, (not TV/DVD combis), Title/Chapter/A-B replay etc - its 230 volts AC but no problem with a £5 inverter off ebay :-D

• 2 weeks later...

After using the Aldi DVD player over Easter & having sound drop-out problems with 4 different DVDs, I contacted the "Customer Sevice" line for advice. This was, basically, return it for a refund. They don't repair these units, there are no software updates (the sound problem doesn't appear to happen with music CDs or TV operation, just playing DVDs) & they have no replacement stock, so the recommended approach was, as it is under 60 days since purchase, to return it to Aldi for replacement (and they seemed to be sold out weeks ago) or refund. Shame, as the picture quality was not bad at all.

Basically throw-away units with a money back "warranty". Previous experience with an Aldi coffee maker was that the "money back" bit was pro-rata the outstanding part of the warranty - my coffee machine died after 12 months & I was refunded 2/3rds of the purchase price.

Back to using the laptop for watching DVDs !

Nigel B

Archived