Info for Italy.

Ninian

That is a major chunk of north west Italy, including most of Piedmont, Lombardy, and Liguria!

Not sure what you mean by "special paperwork", but you need no more than for any other EU state, your registration document, your (photocard) driving licence, and your insurance certificate.

Do you want to visit the cities you have named? There is now no campsite in Turin (Villa Rey closed early 2014) but there appears to be a sosta on Corso Monte Lungo at GPS N45.04929 E7.65571, from which you could walk.

Milan is probably best visited from Camping Citta di Milano, GPS N45.47436 E9.08227. Bus + tram to the centre.

Genoa is more difficult, as the ground rises sharply from the coast. There is a campsite at Pegli, a little to the west of Genoa, Camping Villa Doria. GPS N44.43113 E8.81332. Be aware that the approach is via a steep and fairly narrow urban road, and Italian parking habits can leave this somewhat obstructed. Might be tricky with a large van. The site, however, is good. I haven't used it as a base for Genoa, but I'd guess there is public transport from Pegli to Genoa.

Three things spring to mind - hot, very busy and very expensive during that period. We aim to go to Venice in May and return home for beginning of July and have researched a lot already. Site fees are at their highest at the end of June and of course the sostas will be very busy too.

Alan

Vigilance is the main requirement for driving on Italian roads. Lane discipline is quite poor and it is not unusual to find cars straddling two lanes on the motorways. As you travel further south it gets worse.

Also, make sure that you get a credit card slip when buying fuel. We were overcharged €40 or so when we were given a handwritten slip for the correct amount. This was at a major motorway services. Visa refunded the difference very quickly when we arrived home and we saw the actual charge on the statement.

Ninian,

Would agree with the comments above about the need for extra vigilance when driving, we drove down through Germany, Austria and then into Italy to Venice and then across to Rome last year. In some areas the roads were so poor on dual carriage ways the lorry's straddled both lanes although they did pull over when you came up behind them, no obeying with the speed limits during roadworks, we often had lorries a few inches away from the rear as we were observing speed limits (via GPS so we knew it was accurate) cars not pulling over until the last minute on motorways and slowing down in the inside lane and lots of overtaking on blind bends etc. As long as you are vigilant no problem at all, no issues on any boarders or campsites with paperwork.

have a great trip

Charles - 2017-02-18 12:23 PM

Totally agree. Worst drivers in Europe. Expensive diesel. Knackered roads. Rude people. Overrun with migrants (in places) and crap weather. We cut short our time there last year and hightailed it to Spain. Never again. Just my opinion.

Have to agree with you. Found the italians. loud, rude, greedy (Pinched the rolls at breakfast for their lunch)

and that was not in Italy. Very expensive place as well.

PJay

My favourite country. We've made 3 two month trips there over the last 4 years plus 12 days snowboarding a week ago. Back in France now but can't wait to go to Italy again, probably Sicilly in October November.

The only parts of Spain and Portugal I've enjoyed are Galicia and some of the Portugese highland areas.

Personally I'd avoid the cities and head for old towns and villages, plenty of sostas as well as campsites and I love the atmosphere when all the families arrive on a Friday evening; motorhoming is very social in Italy.

It's not as easy as France but well worth a visit.

Archived