Insurance renewal increase

Bulletguy

Just received my renewal quote to find a staggering increase of £69 from last year!! 8-)

It's not due until early May which gives me time to shop around but if they don't get it down considerably it looks like i will be going elsewhere.....which could prove awkward (for me) as Scenic give excellent green card cover. :'(

Have any others received such large increases?

I have just renewed my insurance with Comfort; the cost this year £330.41 last year £322.98 that’s a increase of £7.43 .The previous year it was £314.18, an increase of £8.80.

You don't mention if you have had a claim in the last year, which will make a big difference. Also crime statistics for the postcode where you keep the motorhome will make a difference.

My advice would be to shop around and get a better quote.

I am gathering quotes for the new N & B that comes in July, and our current insurers want an eye watering 3600£ with a 1700£ excess! That is Comfort and up till now have always been fair, but by their own admittance Aviva which are the underwriters are the problem. Also they will not accept the latest anti theft device just because it isn't Thatcham, and yet have a 100% recovery rate for theft!

Don't you just love insurance!!

Wilf - 2018-04-20 6:49 PM

I have just renewed my insurance with Comfort; the cost this year £330.41 last year £322.98 that’s a increase of £7.43 .The previous year it was £314.18, an increase of £8.80.

You don't mention if you have had a claim in the last year, which will make a big difference. Also crime statistics for the postcode where you keep the motorhome will make a difference.

My advice would be to shop around and get a better quote.

No, no claims at all.....not for years actually! Oh i always 'shop around' every year anyway though none manage to beat Scenic (apart from last year when i got a rival quote which beat theirs by £3 or 4 quid so Scenic matched it). Crime stats in my locality are extremely low to virtually zero. Lived here 24 years and never been any vehicle thefts or house break ins.....not much happens around here! (lol)

I will leave it closer to the date before phoning them but they are going to have to make a significant drop from that renewal difference of £69 which is a hefty increase.

Hi

It's always worth phoning and asking for a lower price! By changing a few details it can reduce significantly. Mine had the value still at the price I bought it at, which obviously they would never pay so brought that down to a realistic value. I did increase the Excess a little but these 2 items reduced the insurance by over £100.

Even if you cannot change any of the above, still worth phoning, you may be surprised at what they can do. If not, as you say you have time to shop around

flyboyprowler - 2018-04-20 7:38 PM

I am gathering quotes for the new N & B that comes in July, and our current insurers want an eye watering 3600£ with a 1700£ excess! That is Comfort and up till now have always been fair, but by their own admittance Aviva which are the underwriters are the problem. Also they will not accept the latest anti theft device just because it isn't Thatcham, and yet have a 100% recovery rate for theft!

Perhaps not too surprising given the type of motorhome you are buying and its price. I’m pretty sure that if I asked Comfort to quote for insuring a new £100K+ motorhome instead of my current Rapido I would not like their answer. Similarly, given a £100K+ price-tag, I‘d expect an insurer to demand that a Thatcham alarm be fitted and probably a tracker system too.

And then there’s how you plan to use the N+B motorhome - which I don’t think you’ve ever stated. If your plans involve you taking it on really long-duration trips outside the UK, the cost of the policy will likely rocket.

My Comfort Insurance, renewed last week, has only gone up £7.78! It's £293 including a 2% increase in insurance premium tax but not breakdown cover which I get separately through Boundless [CSMA].

As I've said before, Comfort paid out without quibble for my new A class windscreen. Cost of the premium is not something I ignore but I prefer to go with an insurer with a good track record of settling claims.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-21 9:53 AM

Perhaps not too surprising given the type of motorhome you are buying and its price. I’m pretty sure that if I asked Comfort to quote for insuring a new £100K+ motorhome instead of my current Rapido I would not like their answer. Similarly, given a £100K+ price-tag, I‘d expect an insurer to demand that a Thatcham alarm be fitted and probably a tracker system too.

And then there’s how you plan to use the N+B motorhome - which I don’t think you’ve ever stated. If your plans involve you taking it on really long-duration trips outside the UK, the cost of the policy will likely rocket.

Yes, I certainly expected a hike but not too the Comforts levels! Apparently, NFU are favourable for the high end vans, and that is my next project. Around the800£ mark give or take, which although expensive, expected with a high value. There is a minimum CAT5 Tracker required and a CAT 1 alarm as well. We are also specified with security locking. I'll be afraid to leave it!!!!

flyboyprowler - 2018-04-21 5:47 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-21 9:53 AM

Yes, I certainly expected a hike but not too the Comforts levels! Apparently, NFU are favourable for the high end vans, and that is my next project. Around the800£ mark give or take, which although expensive, expected with a high value. There is a minimum CAT5 Tracker required and a CAT 1 alarm as well. We are also specified with security locking. I'll be afraid to leave it!!!!

You could always get a PVC instead! My premium last year was a mind blowing £213. :D

I have been a Member of the Caravan Club, now Caravan and Motorhome Club, for many years. I recently received the renewal quote for my Motorhome Insurance, the cost had soared from £356 last year to £985 this year even though I have 16 years no claim bonus!!!!! When I queried this amount I was told it was because of my age, I am 83 this year. I have no on-going/new medical problems and have held a clean licence for 64 years. I am looking for a new quote!!!!

bigal - 2018-04-22 1:38 PM

I have been a Member of the Caravan Club, now Caravan and Motorhome Club, for many years. I recently received the renewal quote for my Motorhome Insurance, the cost had soared from £356 last year to £985 this year even though I have 16 years no claim bonus!!!!! When I queried this amount I was told it was because of my age, I am 83 this year. I have no on-going/new medical problems and have held a clean licence for 64 years. I am looking for a new quote!!!!

That amount is highly questionable!! I cannot see how they can justify a £629 increase simply due to your age and it seems to me like they simply don't want your business any longer. That's not good customer relationship at all.

Could be worth a call back and asking them to run through the figures again. I read where someone did that after being hit with an excessive renewal quote and when they came back with a figure over £100 less....he took great pleasure in telling them where to stick it as it was obvious they'd been trying to fleece him!

My late mum was driving until 86 and though only having held a full licence 16 years she never had any silly increases like that.

I hope you find a decent company who gives you a fair and sensible quote.

Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 2:16 PM
Wilf - 2018-04-20 6:49 PMI have just renewed my insurance with Comfort; the cost this year £330.41 last year £322.98 that’s a increase of £7.43 .The previous year it was £314.18, an increase of £8.80.You don't mention if you have had a claim in the last year, which will make a big difference. Also crime statistics for the postcode where you keep the motorhome will make a difference. My advice would be to shop around and get a better quote.
No, no claims at all.....not for years actually! Oh i always 'shop around' every year anyway though none manage to beat Scenic (apart from last year when i got a rival quote which beat theirs by £3 or 4 quid so Scenic matched it). Crime stats in my locality are extremely low to virtually zero. Lived here 24 years and never been any vehicle thefts or house break ins.....not much happens around here! (lol)I will leave it closer to the date before phoning them but they are going to have to make a significant drop from that renewal difference of £69 which is a hefty increase.

£69 increase on what?  What was last year's premium?   And what's the value of your MH?  A big  factor in the insurance premium is the value of the MH.

StuartO - 2018-04-24 2:30 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-21 2:16 PM
Wilf - 2018-04-20 6:49 PMI have just renewed my insurance with Comfort; the cost this year £330.41 last year £322.98 that’s a increase of £7.43 .The previous year it was £314.18, an increase of £8.80.You don't mention if you have had a claim in the last year, which will make a big difference. Also crime statistics for the postcode where you keep the motorhome will make a difference. My advice would be to shop around and get a better quote.
No, no claims at all.....not for years actually! Oh i always 'shop around' every year anyway though none manage to beat Scenic (apart from last year when i got a rival quote which beat theirs by £3 or 4 quid so Scenic matched it). Crime stats in my locality are extremely low to virtually zero. Lived here 24 years and never been any vehicle thefts or house break ins.....not much happens around here! (lol)I will leave it closer to the date before phoning them but they are going to have to make a significant drop from that renewal difference of £69 which is a hefty increase.

£69 increase on what? What was last year's premium? And what's the value of your MH? A big factor in the insurance premium is the value of the MH.

Premium last year was £219 and this years renewal has come through at £282. Value is £15k.

But i've just started phoning around and had a shocker which seems to back up what another poster ran into problems with.

Comfort have only one underwriter who will insure Ford based mh's/campers without a Tracker fitted. The excuse being "there has been a recent surge in theft of Ford based mh's/campers...". I could believe that about commercial vans which get nicked for the purpose of loading stolen plant hire goods, motorbikes and quad bikes, but why pinch a £15k pvc camper when a basic Autosleeper Kingham costing £55k would be more "desirable".....yet requires no Tracker?!! :-S

Anyway both Comfort and Safeguard are way out.....not even in the running, so it's back to the phone again.

The other factor is your age - when you reach 75 (or so) many insurers will no longer accept proposals from new risks, so you effectively become a captive customer of your current insurer, who knowing this puts up the price.  There is some logic in increasing premiums for older drivers because they are apparently an increasing risk group but if feels like a rough deal if you haven't had any claims yourself.

Bulletguy - 2018-04-24 3:56 PM

but why pinch a £15k pvc camper when a basic Autosleeper Kingham costing £55k would be more "desirable".....yet requires no Tracker?!! :-S

For parts for the most popular van on the road? That's what the police said when mine was stolen.

Muswell - 2018-04-24 6:59 PM

but why pinch a £15k pvc camper when a basic Autosleeper Kingham costing £55k would be more "desirable".....yet requires no Tracker?!! :-S

For parts for the most popular van on the road? That's what the police said when mine was stolen.

Yes but that's only the chassis base unit. All the internals (apart from fridge) are useless to anyone other than mh owners of the identical model or someone considering a home build conversion, and that's a very small market.

The commercial Transit van is certainly 'nickable' for reasons previously stated.....but then so are most other commercial vans.

bigal I doubt you will get another quote from anyone. I would be interested to hear if you do. I am a similar age and the two large clubs will not consider giving me a quote. Others I have tried on line will not quote online but ask you to phone. When you give date of birth they then say they will not even quote. I have no blemishes on my insurance except a broken windscreen.

Comfort have only one underwriter who will insure Ford based mh's/campers without a Tracker fitted. The excuse being "there has been a recent surge in theft of Ford based mh's/campers...". I could believe that about commercial vans which get nicked for the purpose of loading stolen plant hire goods, motorbikes and quad bikes, but why pinch a £15k pvc camper when a basic Autosleeper Kingham costing £55k would be more "desirable".....yet requires no Tracker?!! :-S

Might be more desirable, but very difficult to start and drive away without the genuine key, unless you've left the code card in the vehicle (UK spec Sevels aren't supplied with a code card for that reason) whereas there are tools in circulation amongst the types of people carrying out these thefts that allow a Transit based van to be started and driven away without a key in 15-20 seconds once you have accessed the diagnostic socket.

Old Transit motorhomes might be rung and sold on to an unsuspecting customer, or broken up for parts. Even the money obtained from selling the engine and gearbox as secondhand parts is 100% profit when it hasn't cost them anything to acquire the van and believe me, they can have them totally dismantled and the bodyshell disposed of in a matter of hours with a team working on it in a lock-up!

Deneb - 2018-04-26 11:48 AM

Might be more desirable, but very difficult to start and drive away without the genuine key, unless you've left the code card in the vehicle (UK spec Sevels aren't supplied with a code card for that reason) whereas there are tools in circulation amongst the types of people carrying out these thefts that allow a Transit based van to be started and driven away without a key in 15-20 seconds once you have accessed the diagnostic socket.

Old Transit motorhomes might be rung and sold on to an unsuspecting customer, or broken up for parts. Even the money obtained from selling the engine and gearbox as secondhand parts is 100% profit when it hasn't cost them anything to acquire the van and believe me, they can have them totally dismantled and the bodyshell disposed of in a matter of hours with a team working on it in a lock-up!

Yes i once watched a documentary on vehicle theft though this guy was best described as a professional who dealt only with nicking 'high end' spec vehicles....Audi, BMW, Range Rover, Lamborghini etc. Maximum time from entering to start up was 60 secs. If he couldn't do it in less, then he'd walk away. The majority were stolen in areas south London and driven straight to the ferry port. That's all he did...somebody else picked the vehicle up from there on. Each were stolen to order.

He showed how quick he could take a vehicle (didn't show the fine detail for obvious reasons!) but after years of vehicle theft plus serving time, he had gone straight and works with vehicle manufacturers on developing security. Ironically one of the most difficult to pinch was a basic cheap saloon (can't remember the make) but a car nobody particularly desires!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There are quite a few threads on insurance and this is probably the most appropriate for these comments.

I have just renewed my insurance with Comfort. In spite of my recent windscreen claim of over £2500 (Frankia A class), the premium only went up by £2.35. When I phoned to renew, I made some interesting discoveries -

Even though I had claimed for the windscreen under my current policy with them, they did not know about this claim (was not included in the list of previous claims). Make sure you mention windscreens or any other claims you have made and don't assume they know about it !!. I assume this was because the claim went directly through Aviva and not Comfort.

I was previously covered for 10,000 miles per year. As I am only averaging about 6,000, more out of curiousity I asked if it would make much difference by reducing the mileage. There is a hardly a difference on my car so I was suprised to hear that my premium dropped by almost £60 by reducing the mileage to 8,000 :-D . 6,000 or 8,000 made no difference.

I have had an awning and a solar panel fitted this year. They didn't want to know about the value of the awning, but they added the value of the solar setup to the overall motorhome valuation. Don't understand this but didn't argue as it didn't affect the premium.

Under the breakdown policy, I asked about spare wheels, jacks etc. They said punctures are covered under the breakdown cover, but they like to see you have the means to make a reasonable attempt to repair it yourself. This doesn't mean you have to attempt to repair it - you just have to have the equipment to do it even though the breakdown company may use their own jacks etc. So I guess I will still carry the jack even though I have no intention to use it (for safety reasons)

I have to inform them if I leave the motorhome unattended for more than 2 days away from its normal storage location (on my drive)

If you have done a speed awareness course (I haven't), it is best to tell them about it. They said it probably would not affect the premium.

Overall, I am very pleased with Comfort and can highly recommend them.

Interesting points raised, particularly about your screen....odd that they were unaware. As for speed awareness and/or SP30's, no insurance companies bother about them. I received one the day i was due to leave UK and phoned to explain i was away for 3 months, only to be told rather abruptly, "that's too long and outside our limit for a speed awareness course". I reminded them under UK law i am allowed to 'escape' from the UK up to a max of 3 months...."not with us you aren't". So i've got to pay a fine and take three points on my licence.

Fwiw i was clocked at 34mph in a 30 area. *-)

Archived