International driving licence needed?

Billggski

Yet another unintended aspect of crashing out of the eu would seem to be that uk driving licences will no longer be valid in europe, and like other non-eu nationals we would need an international driving licence. it's only £5.50 and easy to obtain, but 5 million will need to be issued in the next year, I was going to pick one up to beat the rush, but its only valid for 12 months.

Perhaps the government will get it sorted, but somehow I doubt it.

As I posted on WC, I've used my british licence in non eu countries, so there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be used in eu, but then it would need just a little bit of sense being shown, so maybe not.

As a regular traveller to Europe I have noticed over the last two years particularly in Italy rental car companies now insist on both your local (Aust) licence and an International licence. Last year my son-in-law forgot to renew his International licence and was not permitted to take a rental car he had booked. For us it is expensive to buy a new International licence each twelve months. They are sold by the local motorists Association, like your RAC and cost around A$50 (approx 28PND).It offers no more info than your existing Govt supplied licence but as I see it, it is mearly confirmation that your Govt licence is legit. I do not need confirmation that my Visa card supplied by a local bank is legit to use overseas. So maybe the international licence should be a part of your local licence and linked to an international data base. Then no need for two licences. As I see it there is no privacy anymore so I am happy to allow my details to be loaded on one more database. cheers,  

The National Audit Office reckoned it is five million, the Sun today says seven million, but it is a permit, not a licence, apparently they are different.

And the government admits you will need both this and your uk licence, as long as the Treaty of Vienna is ratified by the UK (which it isn't)

What a mess!

If we crash out of the E.U. without any agreement as well as an international driving licence, we will probably lose our European health insurance card (E.H.I.C.) enabling us to receive treatment in the E.U.

Its also possible that as non E.U. citizens and not part of the Schengen agreement area we will need a visa valid only for 3 months.

Remember David Davis's words. "Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed".

Geeco - 2018-07-20 5:22 AM

As a regular traveller to Europe I have noticed over the last two years particularly in Italy rental car companies now insist on both your local (Aust) licence and an International licence. Last year my son-in-law forgot to renew his International licence and was not permitted to take a rental car he had booked. For us it is expensive to buy a new International licence each twelve months. They are sold by the local motorists Association, like your RAC and cost around A$50 (approx 28PND).It offers no more info than your existing Govt supplied licence but as I see it, it is mearly confirmation that your Govt licence is legit. I do not need confirmation that my Visa card supplied by a local bank is legit to use overseas. So maybe the international licence should be a part of your local licence and linked to an international data base. Then no need for two licences. As I see it there is no privacy anymore so I am happy to allow my details to be loaded on one more database. cheers,  

And yet apart form NT, we can drive in Australia with just our UK license.

johnfromnorfolk - 2018-07-21 9:08 AM

Remember David Davis's words. "Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed".

From where I sit, Davis had no intention of securing an agreement and was running down the clock. It looks, increasingly, that there will be no agreement. I’m really looking forward to another Scottish Independence referendum.

In the meantime it is worth noting that the Interbational Driving Permit is valid for 12 months and needs to be applied for no more than 3 months before travel according to the Post Office

So we are 'crashing' ut of the EU now. My my, don't we have some Drama Queens nowadays. :D

Why all the fuss about International Driving Permits? I have had many a one in the past, very easy and cheap to obtain. Why does everyone see this as a problem?

The stiff upper lip has been replaced by a trembling one. :D

It's very interesting the post about the NT and licences after all it's all the same country I drive on a kiwi one and have done over the years all around Europe It's not the licence really but lots of people need a translation of your licence.Driving through Russia they sometimes stop you at a checkpoint look at your paperwork can't decipher any of it so just grimace threateningly at you and wave you on "to much bloody trouble to stop you"

You wanted it be it on your own heads. I'm a pom and am glad I left many years ago.

jjsbc - 2018-07-22 2:07 AMIt's very interesting the post about the NT and licences after all it's all the same country I drive on a kiwi one and have done over the years all around Europe .
It is correct that NT is part of Australia however licences and vehicle registration are both a State Government responsibility not Federal. Pretty stupid when you think about it but there are other worse examples. Take railway gauge width - NSW 4ft 8 cheers, 1/2, ViC 5ft 3, QLD 3ft 9, but I digress!

Hi,

If it affects us, it will also affect them. That might be an incentive for them to stop playing hardball.

The EU demand that VAT is paid on Xmas prezzies arriving from outside the EU, that are valued at £18 or more. This is collected by the Post Office, who charge £8. They also seem to have ambitious ideas about what the contents of the parcel are worth. We have never paid less than £25 for a parcel of "bric-a-brac" from USA.

I think the Europeans will be demanding that their Glorius Leaders seek a trade deal.

As a person lucky enough to be retired, and able to spend extended periods travelling and also having a holiday home in Spain, the consequence of leaving the EU will affect us greatly, even to the extent that many people are considering selling their holiday homes, probably at a loss in value. Also those that head for winter sun, or use our motorhomes for euro travel may have to think again.

I listened to the new Brexit minister this morning deftly avoiding Andrew Marr's direct question as to what will happen to 300,000 Spanish residents, when we leave, and frankly they whole thing is a disaster. The result of the vote to leave was, as I understand it, carried by a 1% majority with only 41% of the voting population voting. Surely, this should have been a compulsory vote, and a minimum percentage required to make such an important decision on our counties future. Another vote under these rules should be considered and at least then, the country will have a genuine answer as to where the feelings lie.

I personally don't want my freedom to travel curtailed, and I am sure that those in our position would feel the same.

flyboyprowler - 2018-07-22 10:13 AM

I listened to the new Brexit minister this morning deftly avoiding Andrew Marr's direct question as to what will happen to 300,000 Spanish residents, when we leave, and frankly they whole thing is a disaster.

The reason that politicians " deftly avoid " direct questions is because they don't know the answers.

OUR politicians can't agree what sort of partnership with want after Brexit - and when / if they do ever agree, they will then have to get the EU to accept it.

So, it's far too early for despair.

;-)

p.s. I agree the whole thing is a disaster - but that is David Camerons fault.

flyboyprowler - 2018-07-22 10:13 AM

As a person lucky enough to be retired, and able to spend extended periods travelling and also having a holiday home in Spain, the consequence of leaving the EU will affect us greatly, even to the extent that many people are considering selling their holiday homes, probably at a loss in value. Also those that head for winter sun, or use our motorhomes for euro travel may have to think again.

I listened to the new Brexit minister this morning deftly avoiding Andrew Marr's direct question as to what will happen to 300,000 Spanish residents, when we leave, and frankly they whole thing is a disaster. The result of the vote to leave was, as I understand it, carried by a 1% majority with only 41% of the voting population voting. Surely, this should have been a compulsory vote, and a minimum percentage required to make such an important decision on our counties future. Another vote under these rules should be considered and at least then, the country will have a genuine answer as to where the feelings lie.

I personally don't want my freedom to travel curtailed, and I am sure that those in our position would feel the same.

Isn’t there another forum somewhere where one’s political prejudices can be aired rather than on here?

Got a International Driving Permit a couple of years back when we visited Slovenia, it was a pain to obtain. Not may Post Offices issue them so had to travel to Stoke on Trent , pay to park, petrol plus the cost of the licence and I think it only last a year. Hope we don't have to do this every year. >:-(

Good evening,

If the driving permit is enforced like the crit air then it looks like the british punters will be conned again by the French and EU. Just like the Volkswagen group did with their emmissions. .Don,t forget the rubbish about carrying a breathalyser a few years back.

Archived