Keep a logbook

Will86

Keep a logbook  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On all my vehicles (except when working) I always documented everything in a logbook. Any lined suitable sized writing pad will do preferably with a hard cover. I included receipts from sites and all outgoing payments often including pictures. Include as much as you like, its the easiest way of remembering tires or cam belt changes. A new logbook for each vehicle.

I keep a diary in the motorhome (A5 size). I use it to log our trips, when and how much fuel or gas we use etc. I always keep last years in the motorhome as well and when we have a rainy day, I work out the fuel and gas costs for the year, mileage and average mpg. It's also a handy place to store phone numbers, email addresses etc.

I keep a written log of all diesel purchases, tolls paid, etc in the vehicle in a notebook.

In addition I write a full diary Blog with photos with an entry for every day. I write these in a text document then put them on Wordpress so can easily refer back several years. It sound onerous, but really isn't and you'd be amazed at how often we do refer back to these documents and photos. It is a very good way of keeping a digital "Album" for each trip.

(As an aside, one of the problems of taking digital photos is how to present them in the future? With old printed photos, they went in a photo album which was labelled etc and was a tactile, physical entity which could be easily browsed).

My guess is that most images now in a phone are rarely looked at, and will quite often not be downloaded or catalogued, so will likely eventually simply be lost in the ether!

I keep a log of our trips (retired now so don't have holidays!), to be able to look back on where/when we went places, and which sites in case we want to return. Also of when gas bottle and Ad-Blue tanked up so have an idea when need to refill. Not sure of the value of keeping track of fuel used etc - in hat way does it change what you do?

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2019-11-10 11:50 AM

On all my vehicles (except when working) I always documented everything in a logbook. Any lined suitable sized writing pad will do preferably with a hard cover. I included receipts from sites and all outgoing payments often including pictures. Include as much as you like, its the easiest way of remembering tires or cam belt changes. A new logbook for each vehicle.

Never bothered much with the pounds shillings & pence ;-) .......

But er in doors has always kept a log of where we have stopped B-) ........

Now on our third book apparently 8-) ......

My wife keeps a trip logbook which records where we stayed, details of campsite & fees plus a short description of what we did each day. She uses logbooks specifically published for the purpose. It is interesting to look back on.

I started keeping a log of fuel and LPG costs and consumption when we bought the van out of curiosity but sometimes wonder why I bother as I am not really interested in what it costs, the fuel consumption is always around 28mpg and the LPG cost is minimal.

I,ve kept a diary since we first started camping- tent, caravan and motorhome- over 40 years ago. I used to write it in notebooks but, for the past 14 years have written an online blog using Blogger.

I publish it daily, with photos, but set it so that only invited people - family and friends- can read it, Its a way of them knowing where we are as well as something I enjoy reading when we are not on the road.

Very easy to do, the Blogger instructions are clear but remember to use the Invited Guests only setting unless you want everyone to see it !

Fifo - 2019-11-12 8:26 AM

Very easy to do, the Blogger instructions are clear but remember to use the Invited Guests only setting unless you want everyone to see it !

I have occasionally come across blogs of other peoples travels and found them quite interesting - but I can't imagine that there is anything on the internet that is not ' hackable ' by anyone so inclined, so I would avoid posting any personal details on a blog.

It's a bit like the ' cloud ' where Microsoft keep encouraging me to store everything !

;-)

• 2 weeks later...
crocs - 2019-11-20 2:30 PM

Am I the only one who has better things to do? :-D

Nope, although I do support documenting significant changes to the van.

So for instance, when the solar was upgraded it was documented with schematics and the documentation is stored with the van habitation manual as an aid both to myself and future owners.

crocs - 2019-11-20 2:30 PM

Am I the only one who has better things to do? :-D

Seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do - in fact there are log-books marketed specifically for this purpose.

The log-book advertised here

https://tinyurl.com/sbevvw3

has received 52 reviews, 94% 5-star and 6% 4-star, and the comments are all positive.

Archived