LPG in European Tunnels

JaveaSteve

Have just bought a new Motor home and as an extra about to have the Spanish equivalent to the Gaslow system fitted. Just back from the bar and a 10yr Motorhomer has told me that I will not be allowed into most European Tunnels with a LPG system. I'm thinking this is the usual expat bar know it all talking but would like some knowledgeable advice please.

Hi Steve, I’ve got an underslung gas tank, and have been through quite a few tunnels in Austria, Italy and Norway, and never seen a sign on any approach to a tunnel that made reference to such an installation.

Not saying there are no such signs around, but I would be surprised,

Regards

Alan b

We with Gaslow systems have been roaming Europe for donkeys years with our cargo of LPG bottles and never seen a warning sign.

To get to Europe we go through a very long tunnel by train and many more tunnels on our travels without being stopped or warned about entering tunnels with an illegal cargo.

If your 10yr Motorhoming friend has an LPG system what does he do when he approaches a tunnel in Europe - find a route around it?

Is it April 1st?

Some European tunnels will prohibit LPG tankers from passing through them (and there will be a sign before the tunnel entrance to indicate this. LPG-fuelled vehicles can pass through the Mont Blanc tunnel, but the driver must inform the toll-booth attendant that his vehicle is LPG-powered. But for leisure vehicles carryng LPG simply for ‘habitation’ purposes, there are no general prohibitions relating to tunnels. (There may well be regulations, though, about having gas-fuelled appliances in operation when driving in the tunnel itself.)

Archived