LPG refillable advice please

timand jen

Hi. We are newbies having just acquired our first motorhome. We decided to opt for a refillable LPG cylinder and have just purchased an Alugas kit. Our questions are: (a) is it easy enough to refill at UK and European filling stations without fitting an external filler point and, if so, (b) how easy/safe is it to fill this way and © anything else we ought to watch out for on this subject?!

Many thanks.

Tim and Jen

You stand more chance of being turned away if you are filling the bottles directly (with the gas locker door open, advertising what you are doing) than if you have a skin-fitting filler - but some people seem to get away with it without too much hassle.

I have a skin fitting and if I was starting again I would have one fitted again but it's your choice.

Hi Tim and Jen and welcome to the forum and motorhoming.

Some people do fit their filler inside the gas locker but there have been instances where filling stations have refused to let them fill. This is as a result if a few cases where refillable cylinders without the 80% cutoff valve have overfilled and sometimes caused an accident.

There is some evidence to suggest that it would be best to fit an external filler so you don't have to be seen rummaging in the gas locker. This would certainly be my preference.

If you want to tour Europe and use their filling stations you will need an adaptor. There are three different types for different countries and they can easily be obtained online. Have a browse in the Autogas2000 website.

David

i have a proffesionally fitted refillable system with the filling point inside the locker and i have never been refused to fill up, here or abroad. I went this route because if i ever sell the van i can remove the system and fit it to another is i so choose.

My professionally fitted alugas system (courtesy of Autogas 2000 in Thirsk) has an external filler but this is simply a threaded socket to which one attaches the required adapter.

The system is on its third van now, and the only remains on the old vans was a blank in the skirt approx 1 inch 25mms square.

I would go again with an external filler

cheers alan

phalange - 2017-04-18 6:30 PM

i have a proffesionally fitted refillable system with the filling point inside the locker and i have never been refused to fill up, here or abroad. I went this route because if i ever sell the van i can remove the system and fit it to another is i so choose.

We have an external filler and have just swapped the whole system onto our new van - the dealer even swapped the external filler itself and left the hole in the skirt presumably to let the new owners choose what they wanted to do.

David

Thanks to everyone for their advice, much appreciated. Going to have an external filler fitted. Checked with our dealer that we wouldn't be prejudicing our warranty by getting it done locally rather than through them and they confirmed ok as long as the fitter is gas Safe registered (but obviously needs to be experienced in motorhomes as well). I suppose different warranties may have different rules so always worth checking if you are still in warranty.

I am sure we will be back again for more advice!

Tim and Jen

david lloyd - 2017-04-18 3:00 PM

Hi Tim and Jen and welcome to the forum and motorhoming.

Some people do fit their filler inside the gas locker but there have been instances where filling stations have refused to let them fill. This is as a result if a few cases where refillable cylinders without the 80% cutoff valve have overfilled and sometimes caused an accident.

There is some evidence to suggest that it would be best to fit an external filler so you don't have to be seen rummaging in the gas locker. This would certainly be my preference.

If you want to tour Europe and use their filling stations you will need an adaptor. There are three different types for different countries and they can easily be obtained online. Have a browse in the Autogas2000 website.

David

At least 4 different types of adaptors used in Europe.

we are about to take delivery of an Autotrail 610SE PVC which is equipped with an underbody gas tank. Anyone with experience of this in use and refilling ?? I am assuming there will be a valve inside th van to actually turn off when travelling? Any help and comments appreciated

Hi Keith, I would post this as a new tread. I use my adaptors above on bottles in a gas locker with a filler connection on the outside skirt of the 'van. I think I read somewhere that the cut off valve for tanks is on the tank itself, so on the outside and maybe under the van or low down near the skirt. You will still have cut off valves on a manifold in a cupboard inside somewhere for each gas unit. ie heater, hob, fridge etc.

timand jen - 2017-04-19 5:46 PM

they confirmed ok as long as the fitter is gas Safe registered (but obviously needs to be experienced in motorhomes as well). I suppose different warranties may have different rules so always worth checking if you are still in warranty.

Tim and Jen

Dealer is talking out of his rear end, no such requirements for Motorhomes.

I would recommend you fit the small square filler that Autogas do and fit it in the skirt, makes a much neater job and much better if later you want to swap to a new van.

samnkeez - 2017-04-25 10:37 AM

Which ones from your picture are used in Spain and Portugal.

I have them, I just do t know which one to use and do t want to be faffing around at the gas station and attracting attention

. The adaptor for Spain is on the bottom right. Hav'nt been to Portugal for 3-4 years. So I can't quite remember they may well use the the same one as Spain or the UK one, top left. The photo on this post shows the filler port fitted to the lower metal skirt of my Hymer that Lenny was describing above. Hope that helps.

image.jpg.5e506c6cc7cadb589a155f0a6375c549.jpg

lennyhb - 2017-04-25 9:26 AM

timand jen - 2017-04-19 5:46 PM

they confirmed ok as long as the fitter is gas Safe registered (but obviously needs to be experienced in motorhomes as well). I suppose different warranties may have different rules so always worth checking if you are still in warranty.

Tim and Jen

Dealer is talking out of his rear end, no such requirements for Motorhomes.

I would recommend you fit the small square filler that Autogas do and fit it in the skirt, makes a much neater job and much better if later you want to swap to a new van.

It was my understanding also that the Gas Safety Regulations only applied to motorhomes if they were lived in permanently or were hired out. However, I am insured with Comfort and there is an exclusion in section 1 of the policy that reads -

"Damage resulting from fire or explosion in connection with the on-board domestic gas supply to privately converted vehicles where the supply is not fitted or serviced in accordance with the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998."

Taken to the extreme, this would imply that your insurance could be invalid if you even change a non-refillable bottle!

Has anyone else read the small print in their insurance policy and had clarification of this?

Archived