Lack of Public Weighbridges

Romir

Since obtaining a new van in 2014, which incidentally came minus a converter's plate and no guidance on the possible payload, I have upon achieving the age of 70 become more concerned about the vehicle's weight. Recently I have had two weighings and each has identified that the van is incapable of being driven at under 3500 Kgs. Matters are made even worse by the fact that neither of the weighbridges used was, and I now quote from the operators, " legally allowed to do individual axle weights". Presumably this is because they are raised and you have to surmount a ramp to access the bed.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and would it not be an idea for MMM to put together a resource of available and suitable weighbridges as the Gov site is useless and my local councils are just as bad. Just a thought!

Excellent idea. It would be nice to have this on a satnav POI file.

My local Public weighbridges listed on the gov site are not really suitable for measuring axle weights separately as they have a bit of a ramp to get on them. Besides, one charges £22 per weight (£44 for 2 axles!) and you are not allowed to be in the van while it is weighed!. Health and safety I think (dangerous things these weightbridges) Either that or they don't want you to worry about the difference in the weigh due to your wallet!

I tend to use Lye Cross farm on the A38 near Bristol airport. £2 per weigh with ticket. Easy access and no ramp. Can get a bit busy (Friday afternoons seem worse)

Thank you for your replies and interest; the whole point of weighbridges is that they need to be local. My local Trading Standards Officer had flagged up the Potter bridge even though not in her area, but others have closed or give vastly different weights. Clearly we need trusted facilities where we can do a proper weigh as in 'ready to go mode'. The price I paid was £5 each time, very reasonable, but not very helpful.

keninpalamos - 2017-04-28 5:28 AM

crocs - 2017-04-27 9:43 PM

Grants whisky distillers just north of Girvan. Whole van and one axle £6.

I like the sound of that one, just getting the van on straight might be a problem.....hic :-D

Nah, after breathing whisky fumes, it's getting it back off that's the problem! 8-)

Putting together (and maintaining) a comprehensive listing of weighbridges where a motorhome might be weighed would be a daunting task. Besides which it OUGHT to be practicable via GOOGLE to identify weighbridges in a particular area that might be suitable.

For example, I live in Herefordshire and this webpage offers 9 possibilities, two of which are within 10 miles of my home.

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/info/200145/business/539/consumer_advice/5

Whether any of these would be prepared to provide axle-weight figures for my motorhome, or what the charge might be would (as it says on the webpage) need to be checked with the businesses involved.

Taits scrap metal merchants at Ferndown Industrial Estate have done my van on several different occasions, at a cost of £5 a time, but might ask you to return later if they are particularly busy.

they do provide a ticket, and do individual axles as required.

Tonyg3nwl

On this and many other forums people post that the local council will have a list Not True our local council had not a clue. Went to a waste tip to get ours no problem getting both axels weighed and we were under weight which was great news as we see many if not most vans over the limits especially when down in Spain, the stuff people take is mind blowing. :'(

Romir - 2017-04-28 9:05 AM

Thank you for your replies and interest; the whole point of weighbridges is that they need to be local. My local Trading Standards Officer had flagged up the Potter bridge even though not in her area, but others have closed or give vastly different weights. Clearly we need trusted facilities where we can do a proper weigh as in 'ready to go mode'. The price I paid was £5 each time, very reasonable, but not very helpful.

Also look for builder's merchants who sell bulk goods (sand, gravel, etc) which are frequently sold by weight, where the usual procedure is to weigh the empty truck on the weighbridge, then load the truck and weigh again, the difference being the weight of whatever sold. These weighbridges are regularly checked by weights and measures, so if you contact them they should be able to tell you where to find one nearby. That should ensure you get one that is well maintained and accurate.

• 1 month later...

Pulling together a weighbridge list is unlikely to be difficult for MMM. The difficulty will come with keeping it up to date and relevant. Whilst I use a search engine to find weighbridges, a single source would be useful. It should be the responsibility of the DVSA/VOSA.

With an increasing number of commercial vehicles being fitted with on-board weighing machines - even my son's 3.5 ton Iveco Daily has one - I can foresee fewer and fewer weighbridges. Hymer did show a motorhome at the NEC a few years ago with an onboard weighing machine.

An internet search for me throws up a scrap metal dealer on the Wirral, an animal feedmill in Malpas [one I've used several times but it is over 30 miles away] and one in Runcorn just off the M56 which weighs both axles as you drive over the plate [used this once on my trip home - very convenient].

For c£170 you can buy Reich weighing scales which weigh up to 1500kg per wheel. Reich told me the scales were accurate to 3% providing the scales are sent away for recalibrating every couple of years. Might be worth getting MMM to test these scales. It would take me over 17 years to recover the cost so perhaps a better option for those who have disparate weights depending on motorhome usage or no convenient weighbridge.

My solution was to uprate the van, weigh additional items added, and keep an updated copy of my results using SV Tech's Load Distribution Program [on its website]. Not a suitable solution for everyone

This may be of interest to those heading for Kent on the M25, the weighbridge I use is at Junction 29 on the M25 right on the roundabout. Useful if your off to the continent and want an uptodate ticket.

My fenceline used to border theirs until someone decided to put the M25 between us.

S & J Padfield, Codham Hall, Great Warley, Brentwood, Essex, CM13 3JT, they have their own entrance off said roundabout signed Codham Hall.

good morning,

You should search for Trading standards for weighbridges, formerly known as Weights and measures. They have a legal duty to ensure that all weighbridges function correctly. There is one at Gildersome near Leeds which is open all the time for self weigh and costs nothing. You just approach slowly and cross the bar and the axle weight come up first and then the gross. We use it every time when going on long time trip.

norm

Had mine weighed at GW Topham farm on the A428 at Caxton Gibbet. Only did overall weight, not per axle and cost £7.00. and a v attractive young lady did it too :-D

Picking up on what Brian said about individual Reich scales, maybe MMM could buy/hire a set and offer a free weighing service to subscribers or even an incentive to get annual subs out of visitors.

BTW, why do you have it done more than once? I get the impression some of you make it an annual outing, do you?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting set of views from variety of sources, but generally little to suggest that getting a legally required piece of paper is an easy task. Within my area, South Staffs and environs, 4 accessible weighbridges have closed in recent years; the list provided by a local Trading Standards includes now defunct sites and the link to Chris Hodge Trucks is also now in-operable and was out of date too when SVTech interrogated it recently on my behalf.

The individual wheel scales would seem to be a way forward, but wouldn't it make sense for Motor Home DEALERS to be required by law to have a set so that proud but unsuspecting new owners could be made aware of the true weight of their purchase? After all if they all had a set they could, for a small charge, increase their footfall and possibly attract some new sales. Of course it could have the effect of reducing the sale of optional extras when people realise just how much weight they are adding.

On the point of MMM's involvement, it is interesting to note that they will not allow van weighings at the motor home shows that they host; speaks volumes!!!!!!

Currently in the process of getting my van up-rated to 3850Kgs, new front springs, semi-air to the rear and bigger tyres all round; BUT I still need the elusive weight card with individual axle weights to complete SVTech's application form.

Archived