Leaking Shower Tap - Burstner

747 Captain

Just back from a trip away at the weekend and whist having a shower on the first morning, noticed the shower has a large leak from the 90 degree elbow at the shower tap.

Seems to have cracked along the seam of the moulded plastic, maybe frost damage, I'm not sure.

Just wondering if it's a push fit part or whether the whole tap needs replaced...

Photo attached of the offending part (highlighted in colour).

If it's the whole tap, is this easy enough for a DIY replacement?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3322514652_9f47f31b3a_o.jpg

The odds are that it is frost damage. We've become accustomed to relatively mild winter and have forgotten to take the normal precautions so I doubt whether you'll be the only one to be caught.

I can't help you with this particular tap but as far as avoiding the problem in future lay ups I'd try your best to drain any water from the shower hose; put plenty of bubble wrap around the fitting to provide some insulation; and leave the tap open in its central position to provide for some expansion.

It' s buggar the problems global warming is creating ...

V

• 8 years later...

Old thread I know, but it was one that came up when I was looking an answer to the same problem, I kept getting to threads that said if the elbow was cracked then it was a complete mixer unit at £85 plus a pain to fit, however the elbow is available for around £5, to replace it, you need to remove the shower hose, if you look in to the elbow you can see where the plastic tube clips sit inside the elbow, big flat screwdiver inside the elbow to pop it off the mixer assembly, then simply push the new elbow on swap the spaacer and refit the shower hose.

The part was from Johnie Longden,, part no. 2042

Be wary of just changing the part affected if it is frost damage. I say this as my Burstner had an audible drip from behind the shower panel when I bought it second hand from a dealer. I traced it myself to a cracked body on the shower tap (same tap as yours). I put the panel back and took the van back under warranty for them to swap the tap at their expense. Just saying, as if yours has been exposed to the strain of freezing you are probably best swapping the whole thing for peace of mind. I concluded mine was frost damaged.

andytw

Archived