Leisure battery charging

chrisk

Leisure battery charging  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

Hope someone can advise me of a solution to this particular problem. I have a 2008 Knaus sun -ti 650. The leisure battery is only 6 months old and is not receiving a charge from the alternator. The vehicle battery charges fine and the leisure battery charges fine on the 240V supply. Any ideas please?

Thanks

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Chris.

It might be useful if you could confirm that the leisure-battery used to be charged by the alternator OK and the present problem suddenly appeared (which could indicate that the cause is something simple like a fuse failure).

The age of the battery should not matter, but identifying the most likely reasons for the leisure-battery not being charged by the alternator will depend on knowing the make/type of electrical equipment Knaus fitted to your motorhome. Being German-made, there’s a good chance that the system will include a Schaudt Electroblock, but there’s no guarantee that this is the case. Without knowing what electriclal equipment your motorhome has, advice will be based more on educated guesswork.

I assume it is fitted with a Calira 38/20 or 30/20??

Is it possible the old batteries overloaded the charging circuits as they died, prior to being replaced, or is it much more recent?

As a start point, have a look for 'add on' style maxi fuses next to/above the Starter battery and see if any have failed? These won't be part of the vehicle fuse set, usually just a pair of 'loose' fuses, 50A and a 2amp. Sometimes a third fuse, a 20A.

If there is any sign of corrosion on the Fuse 'legs', suggest you replace them as a matter of course rather than clean them?

Archived