Levelling a tag axle motorhome

c.smith1967

Hi everyone, I've been looking at the auto levelling systems for when we are away but they are very expensive and I can't help but think that 5t manual bottle jacks would do just as well especially as the majority of the time the levelling can be achieved within the suspension travel without lifting the burstner wheels off the ground, I've tried ringing various dealers, some say it's no problem as long as the jacks are correctly rated and I use the specified jacking points and if possible increase the size of the jacks footprint, others have advised against it and offered the autolevelling system but won't say why not to do it, surely other than manual effort there is no difference or is there?

Has anyone else used bottle jacks on jacking points to level up?

Bottle jacks are heavy (and therefore impose a significant payload penalty) and they would also be fiddly and time consuming to set up to level a MH. I imagine you might do it once or twice and then never bother again!

Guest pelmetman

I've seen tag axles using bog standard leveling blocks just on one of the two rear wheels :-S ........

So I assume there's no need for bottle jacks unless there is a serious slope? ;-) .......

Mind you our Swiss Cathago highliner neighbour this year, liked to use his hydraulic system to put a angle on his motorhome when he wanted to drain his grey water tank :-| ........

Which puzzled me coz our 30 year old camper can do that without hydraulics B-) ........

Perhaps I was supposed to be impressed? :D .......

If I were a tag owner, I think that I would try to lift the front by drive up ramps, to get a level , rather than lift the rear.

Using jacks seems a but iffy, maybe inflatable jacks might work provided the underside is not to sharp to cause problems

Rgd

Archived