Licence restrictions when reaching 70

Actionman

I am extremely confused! I will be 70 soon and not sure what I need to do. My Ford Tribute motorhome has

A maximum weight of 3500 kg and I tow a small VW Up behind on an A frame. Can’t find any info on DVLA website. Do I need to take a medical to tow the car behind? Advice on DVLA is so conflicting. Any help welcome ??

Hi

On your current licence you should have the B +E category listed which you should retain on your licence after renewal at 70.

The benefit of the retention of the B + E category is that you can tow a much larger trailer than you can without it. In your case your vehicle has a Limit of 3500kg for the vehicle itself but it will have a MAM weight on its Weight Plate which is the Maximum authorised mass and means the combined max weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer including the maximum load that the trailer can carry safely when it’s being used on the road. Therefore if your vehicle has a MAM figure on its plate of 5000kg then the trailer can weigh up to 1500KG when in use on the road which your UP is within.. You may have the total figure shown as the GVW gross vehicle Weight.

New drivers today do not get the B + E category on their licence and so they can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg with a trailer up to 750kg otherwise a larger trailer provided the total weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is not more than 3500KG.

Doug

Caddies104 - 2019-09-16 1:15 PM

Hi

If you ever intend to have a larger van you will need to keep your C1, which means passing a medical, then every 3 years after. (lol)

Not quite right, as "intending" does not come into it.

If you retrospectively decide to have a bigger MH than one up to 3500 kgs, you then need to go the medical route to get the C1.

Not taking that up initially on reaching 70, does not preclude you doing so if you ever wish to, assuming you can meet the medical requirements. So you don't have to decide on reaching 70 for the rest of your driving career, you can later "switch" it on whenever you want/need to

Assuming as you are approaching 70 you most probably passed you car test pre 1997? If so then you are licenced to drive anything with a mass up to 3500 kgs Gross vehicle weight [GVW], and also tow anything that vehicle is allowed to tow. The two masses together being within the towing vehicles MTW. Maximum train weight. [the biggest number stamped on the VIN plate]

There is a caveat to this that there is an upper limit but not one realistically encountered. I would need to go check that upper value is but am confident with a 3500 MH it is above what will be encountered.

The big rub on getting to 70 is driving a vehicle itself over 3500 kgs GVW, requires being proactive in getting the correct licence and being reasonably fit.

About three months before you reach 70 you will get a reminder from the DVLA which gives you the option of just renewing your licence, by filling in the self certifying form, or online, which will limit you to 3500kg, with a trailer up to a max 8.25 tonnes overall (B+E), or to opt to retain your "grandfather rights" to drive with a C1 licence up to 7500kg by taking a medical and filling in a different form D4. Use a taxi/commercial medical company who do it all the time, including the eye test for about £60, and know how to fill the forms in.

Do not get confused with hgv or bus licences, as this needs different tests.

If you send your Licence in always get a decent colour copy of both sides showing the dates that you have been licenced to drive the individual groups(infact the test pass dates) There are instances of groups being removed/missed off (especially Group A) from renewed Licences! Saves a great deal of hassle!!!

Archived