License checks in France.

keninpalamos

Today while driving in France I was stopped by the police for a driving license check. They checked to see if I was entitled to drive a vehicle over 3.5 tonne. My Hymer is a E700 the log book was checked as well. Also I took a breatherlizer test as well. So be aware if you think you can drive a vehicle in Europe you do not have a license for, think again No C1 then stay below 3.5 tonne. I asked about the breatherlizer kit you are supposed to carry. Not needed any more. But handy to do a check on yourself just in case the trifle was a bit rich.

Hi,

If your licence does not entitle you to drive what you are driving, then you are driving without a licence ... and therefore you are not insured.

I am not sure of the position if "you once held a licence, and are not disqualified". Your insurance certificate says you are covered (but only for Third Party). Many years ago ... 30? ...40? ... I read of an appeal court ruling that medical debarment does not count as disqualification. I would hate to have to argue in a UK court, let alone a French court, that losing entitlement at age 70 is not disqualification.

Hey ... I used to have a bike licence ... but it was only a provisional. I wonder .......?

Guest pelmetman
keninpalamos - 2018-04-13 11:09 PM

I asked about the breatherlizer kit you are supposed to carry. Not needed any more. But handy to do a check on yourself just in case the trifle was a bit rich.

That's another 5 euro's I never wasted B-) ...........

keninpalamos - 2018-04-14 2:09 PMToday while driving in France I was stopped by the police for a driving license check. They checked to see if I was entitled to drive a vehicle over 3.5 tonne. My Hymer is a E700 the log book was checked as well. Also I took a breatherlizer test as well. So be aware if you think you can drive a vehicle in Europe you do not have a license for, think again No C1 then stay below 3.5 tonne. I asked about the breatherlizer kit you are supposed to carry. Not needed any more. But handy to do a check on yourself just in case the trifle was a bit rich.

I've done plenty of driving in France and never been stopped, although of course I'm aware that's just chance and sooner or later it will happen because the French police (and Gendarmes) do conduct checks.

I get the impression, from what I've seen and read, that roadside checks in France are often routine, perhaps following some strategy or other, including doing them to show their face and for training, as of course UK police forces do too.  Most of the time I'm perfectly legal, except for ignoring 3.5 ton limits of roadways approaching campsites, which seem to crop up all too regularly these days, as French towns use them to keep lorries out or to make them use the by pass or motorway.  I rarely if ever drive at night in France so I don't bother fitting headlamp light deflectors, but I do carry a set!

Archived