Looking to buy my first campervan

RustyLegs

I am a newbie on this forum but have been gleaning useful information here for a few months now particularly on member’s views of the Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox.

I have been caravanning for a number of years but the last three years have not been kind to me health wise, two back surgeries in the last year or so. I am therefore looking into trading in my caravan for a campervan probably early next year. This will also need to be my everyday transport and due to my driveway constraints, 5.7m is the maximum length that can be accommodated.

I have noted from the forum that frequent advice is to buy from a dealer relatively close to where you live if possible. With this in mind, I have currently narrowed my options down to a Auto-Sleepers Symbol or Danbury Royale. Either will need to be with auto gearboxes.

My questions are:

The 2018 prices for Auto-Sleepers now include an option for the Comfortmatic with 150 bhp engine on a Fiat van at £4,000 (was £2,500 in 2017). They have added a new option for 130 bhp engine with Comfortmatic for £2,000. Anyone any idea for the reasons for this change? Presumably a 130 bhp engine (especially as the quoted torque figures are not that different to the standard Peugot 160 bhp engine) would be fine for a van the size and weight of the Symbol?

Does anyone have any experience of purchasing or dealing with Danbury MotorCaravans please?

I had a Symbol for a short while a few years ago and whilst the van worked OK I found it very cramped and far less relaxing to live in after a coachbuilt, and possibly even more so after a caravan, although it is easier to park and turn being more compact?

I've never dealt with Danbury having been more of an Autosleepers devotee, and even then I never felt the need to buy a new van (unless for VAT relief on health grounds) but I have heard some alarming tales of poor build quality on new vans from A/S of late?

One of the things to take account of is how you use the van and if on a site with EHU it should be fine but if your style is to be more nomadic and less reliant on mains power then gas and 12 v capacities and their replenishing options may well become relevant?

Our van is older and larger, it has Fiat 2.3 120 euro 4 engine, and is 6.4m and 3.5t, it's fine with this engine, and as the auto is just a automated manual box I would have thought is also fine.

I would note that some front lounges can be a jigsaw when it comes to bed making, so make sure you are happy with that re your back.

Thanks to Tracker and Colin that replied to my questions with some helpful information.

In reply to Tracker's comment about site facilities, yes I will only be using sites with full facilities but thanks for the comment on that.

On Colin's point about possible diificulties with making the bed up, yes that is near the top of my list to check out on van selection and will be a major factor for me. Thanks for pointing that out though Colin.

Guest pelmetman
RustyLegs - 2017-10-12 3:12 PM

I am a newbie on this forum but have been gleaning useful information here for a few months now particularly on member’s views of the Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox.

I have been caravanning for a number of years but the last three years have not been kind to me health wise, two back surgeries in the last year or so. I am therefore looking into trading in my caravan for a campervan probably early next year. This will also need to be my everyday transport and due to my driveway constraints, 5.7m is the maximum length that can be accommodated.

I have noted from the forum that frequent advice is to buy from a dealer relatively close to where you live if possible. With this in mind, I have currently narrowed my options down to a Auto-Sleepers Symbol or Danbury Royale. Either will need to be with auto gearboxes.

My questions are:

The 2018 prices for Auto-Sleepers now include an option for the Comfortmatic with 150 bhp engine on a Fiat van at £4,000 (was £2,500 in 2017). They have added a new option for 130 bhp engine with Comfortmatic for £2,000. Anyone any idea for the reasons for this change? Presumably a 130 bhp engine (especially as the quoted torque figures are not that different to the standard Peugot 160 bhp engine) would be fine for a van the size and weight of the Symbol?

Does anyone have any experience of purchasing or dealing with Danbury MotorCaravans please?

Given that this will be your first foray into motorhoming.......which is a much different beast to tugging........why commit your hard earned to a new van and the heavy depreciation if you get your choice of van wrong? 8-) ........

Given that this will be your first foray into motorhoming.......which is a much different beast to tugging........why commit your hard earned to a new van and the heavy depreciation if you get your choice of van wrong? 8-) ........

I agree Totally different to tugging Best to try a second hand one first, as getting it wrong will be costly

I would also make sure that the drivers seat has room to adjust, with back problems.

Make sure the layout has comfortable bed and that the drivers seat will adjust , as some vans (like ours) there is not much room to adjust backwards!

PJay

Thanks for your opinion Crocs on the 130bhp engine. Yes the extra £4000 is also due to the increase to the 150bhp engine but the same overall packege was £2,500 last year. That seems a large increase though the 130bhp option was added this year to sit below that at £2,000.

Archived