Low Gas pressure ?

Rayjsj

Hello,

Away in our Autotrail V Line 600, 2014. Using exterior BBQ point, suddenly pressure/ drops right down steaks stop sizzling.....ah thinks the Master !!! New gas cylinder reqd, old cylinder was light (calor light) but not completely empty ? Changed it anyway, for a full calor light, re-lit BBQ, still low pressure,although it did light, SO, shut off manifold tap, shut off cylinder (again) took off pipe,.....then refitted it (gaslow stainless steel handwheel type gas pipe), turned on cylinder, turned on manifold. Turned on BBQ, StIll low pressure.

Tried gas rings and oven all low pressure ! Do i have a defective regulator ? And how can i test it ?

Getting fed up with Pasties cooked in the sites microwave.

Yep sounds like regulator gummed up, I thought they were over the problem by 2014. I think it can still happen if the regulator is mounted too low. It should be higher than the valves on the cylinders so that any oily residue drains back into the bottle.

Don't think there is an easy way to test them apart from swapping regulators.

As Lenny said, probably the regulator but wouldn't expect that on a 2 year old van.

Most modern regulators have a gas take-off point for attaching a pressure gauge for testing for leaks during a habitation check. I assume this is located on the low pressure side of the regulator.

Apart from fitting a new regulator the only other option would seem to be to get the pressure checked by a MH dealer.

Probably cheaper and quicker to get and fit a new regulator Ray - at best you solve the problem and at worst you will have have a spare regulator and know that it isn't the regulator at fault so you can look elsewhere!

You've tried two bottles so the block must be in the pipework somewhere?

As all the gas appliances are affected it suggests the copper pipewrok and manifolds and gas taps are all OK so that does not leave much else?

Does the pigtail have a built in non return valve as these can stick? Do you have a spare pigtail you can try?

Has a gas excess flow safety device triggered? If so reset according to instructions.

If no you could try testing the gas pressure with a simple manometer.

You will need say 3 metres of transparent screen washer or similar tubing.

Measuring instrument (ruler or flexible tape).

Support pole or stick about 0.9 metres long.

Method of connecting the tuping to either gas pressure test point, or barbeque gas outlet.

Water.

Method

Make one end of the tube into a long hairpin loop and tape to pole, with open end at top.

Tricky!! About half fill the loop with water. No bubbles. You could try pouring down a knitting needle, nail or similar.

Support pole vertically. More tape to vehicle side?

Mark water levels on stick.

Attach free end of tubing to gas outlet.

Carefully turn on mark and then measure DiIFFERENCE in two water levels. Turn off Gas.

The older propane only regulators were set at 38 mB (milli Bars), or 14 inches water gage, and the newer vehicle mounted regulators are set at 30 mB, which works out at about 11 inches water gage.

You "U" tube should be about half full of water.

Ray - can I assume that you checked for plenty of gas in the bottles by quickly opening and shutting the bottle taps with no pigtail attached?

Have you tried the same check with the pigtail attached to the gas bottles but not connected to the regulator?

That should prove pretty conclusive!

We had a not much older than two year old regulator fail in France a few years back but fortunately I had a spare - which reminds me to replace it before I forget - again!!

Malo37 - 2016-06-15 10:46 PM

You should use a charcoal bbq. Products of gas combustion are carcinogenic.

The cancer risks from grilling are more about how it is cooked, but using a gas bbq can have benefits in that it is easier to control and reduce PAH's and HCA's.

Re: Gummed up regulator.

Assuming it can be removed easy enough (eg, it's self tapped into place and not pop riveted), is there anything easily available, that could be used to *clean it through enough to make it usable, until a replacement is obtained?

(*that obviously wouldn't damage anything inside).

Edit to add:

Just found this:

Someone here, successfully cleaned theirs with a cotton bud and by immersing in hot water..

http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/topic/30528-truma-gas-regulator/

'Worth a try if you're set-up on a 'site and a new reg' isn't easily to hand?.

Thanks for all your ideas/advice, will try testing the pigtail , Rich, havnt done that, but have opened valve on both cylinders, might strip off the regulator too if its not the pigtail, and check it for oil. Read lots about this problem, but its my first time affected.....if it is the regulator ? Called mysupplying dealer, they say they will change it while i wait.(under warranty) But, i am on holiday, 300 miles away in Cornwall. Eating half cooked steaks ! Ah well, there are always Hot Pasties and cream teas to be had.

Rayjsj - 2016-06-16 5:37 PM

Thanks for all your ideas/advice, will try testing the pigtail , Rich, havnt done that, but have opened valve on both cylinders, might strip off the regulator too if its not the pigtail, and check it for oil. Read lots about this problem, but its my first time affected.....if it is the regulator ? Called mysupplying dealer, they say they will change it while i wait.(under warranty) But, i am on holiday, 300 miles away in Cornwall. Eating half cooked steaks ! Ah well, there are always Hot Pasties and cream teas to be had.

Half cooked? surely that's good with beef steak, I always have mine medium rare! Yours are perhaps "blue".

Best of luck getting it sorted, gas problems are always a bugger.

colin - 2016-06-16 9:04 AM

Malo37 - 2016-06-15 10:46 PM

You should use a charcoal bbq. Products of gas combustion are carcinogenic.

The cancer risks from grilling are more about how it is cooked, but using a gas bbq can have benefits in that it is easier to control and reduce PAH's and HCA's.

You're right . Just done a bit of online research on bbq meat. Its put me right of bbs !!

lennyhb - 2016-06-17 3:07 PM

If it is still under the Truma 2 warranty you don't need to go back to your dealer just contact any of the local Truma service centres may be lucky and get a mobile one that will come to you.

Truma Service Centres

Unfortunately my regulator is a Cagva ?

Anyway, tested pigtail, that was ok, removed regulator .....no oil, at least i didnt see any, found a blanked off test point ? With what looked like a reset point, you know the type you press with a ball point pen or a paper clip, i used a paper clip, and pressed it 2 or 3 times. Refitted plastic blanking nut, refitted regulator and voila ! The gas pressure has returned !! So, hot food again.at least for the time being. But i keep think i smell gas. Yes, i have checked all the connections are tight, but not happy, and now turn gas off at cylinder after use. So the regulator could be leaking ? Thanks for all the input.

Rayjsj - 2016-06-17 8:49 PM

Unfortunately my regulator is a Cagva ?

Anyway, tested pigtail, that was ok, removed regulator ...

With what looked like a reset point, you know the type you press with a ball point pen or a paper clip, i used a paper clip, and pressed it 2 or 3 times.

Ray,

Correct me if I'm wrong but was the hole you're referring to actually in the regulator?

If so it was probably the 'breather' hole for the diaphragm and if you "used a paper clip, and pressed it 2 or 3 times..." then you have most likely punctured the diaphragm and hence can smell gas leaking because it is actually leaking!

If this is the case then I most strongly suggest you test the hole you pressed through for leaks with a little soap and water before using your gas again.

Keith.

Thanks keithl & Brambles, the Cavanga pdf file (wish i had seen it before i fiddled !) Is very good, it seems i have prodded the small test valve with a paper clip, the valve self sealer was metal, so i doubt that i have punctured the diaphram.....but i can smell gas, so, possibly, i will do the soapy water test, before using the gas again.....and like Tracker in future i will carry a spare regulator.

Van new last June got it out of storage at Easter, no gas (dealer, stowmarket went bust last year)traced fault to regulated got one from local caravan dealer £32 fitted all OK just bought a spare of eBay £22,the make is cagvagna

Richard

It would appear these problems did not occur before the introduction of bulkhead mounted regulators. Our truma reg.. failed after less than 2 years and was replaced under warranty. We now carry a spare, and our single burner camping gas stove (250g cartridges) used for cooking fish etc. outside would also come in handy.

Some years ago we had the same problem with the bottled propane at our french house. Petrol is a perfect solvent for the gunge that causes blockages, and using an old toothbrush/bottlebrush all was quickly sorted.

Worth a try! :-)

Update, called in at dealer on way home (to vote....leave !) He tested the Cagava regulator, and yes he said it is leaking, replaced it under warranty for a new Truma. SO, low pressure problem is resolved, thanks.

Archived